Less than 2 weeks left before S-Day

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
Less than 2 weeks left before S-Day

Post by palmertech » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:36 pm

As you probably know, less than 2 weeks before Americans switch to digital transmissions. Straight to the point: This means all the handheld TVs sold in the last decade are going to be useless, thousands upon thousands of them.

This will lead a to a massive supply on the used market (Notably ebay) and next to zero demand! While pocket TVs are for the most part too big, there are quite a few that are ok, and if they are at sub-$10 costs, they will start to look very attractive.

Has anybody else thought about this? Maybe planning an ebay shopping spree in the coming weeks? I know I am! :D

Discuss.

Excellent

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Re: Less than 2 weeks left before S-Day

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Dear god, you're RIGHT!

Well, they do still have A/V in...
Hey, sup?

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:51 pm

sweet, sweet, sweet sweet... oh yes. oh take me home baby. yes!! ok well also you have to still beable to find one. I don't think it will be right away but really quick that we would know.

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:02 pm

I got a pocket TV from a guy on Craigslist free. I plan on using it for an NOAC portable which I'll hopefully be making this summer.

Also, I posted a topic about the DTV switchover, but since it's not strictly related, I guess it's not a big deal.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Guaranteed some people will think they're broken and sell them for next to nothing.
Hey, sup?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Guaranteed some people will think they're broken and sell them for next to nothing.
Even if they do not think they are broken, the market will still deem them as worthless. The ONLY group of people possibly interested in pocket TVs that you cannot watch TV on is us. :D

Excellent

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:10 pm

Well, if the switchover has any benefits, it's a steady supply of screens for us. Hooray!
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:30 pm

If I had seen this topic first, I wouldn't have posted the same thing in the thread about digital TV.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh my god, I had never thought of that! SWEET, maybe they'll get cheap enough so I can afford to make a portable! :D

limpport

Post by limpport » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:44 pm

But there was the bill that would postpone it until June, but senate (insert party here)'s voted it down. That would have helped the elderly that really haven't heard about it until recently, and also give manufacturers time to meet the demand for the converter box shortage.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 pm

limpport wrote:But there was the bill that would postpone it until June, but senate (insert party here)'s voted it down. That would have helped the elderly that really haven't heard about it until recently, and also give manufacturers time to meet the demand for the converter box shortage.
Look: This announcement has been out for YEARS now. If you are really so old, feeble, and out of touch that you have not heard of it by now, you almost certainly have people that will tell you. Will a few more months really reach the old people after all these years? Would it outweigh all the people who THOUGHT they knew what was happening, but are now misinformed? How about the rage of consumers against retailers who used this as a marketing gambit telling people they had to upgrade, and now it turns out they waster their money? Delaying it is a stupid idea, all around. This IS going to be a painful transition, but it has been pushed back many, many times, and this NEEDS to happen at some point. A few months tacked on to a 2 year campaign is not going to get people who do not know about the switch to know.

Also, the "Manufacturers need more time" argument is just a lame cover for the real problem. There is not going to be a shortage, the hardware is cheap and easy and fast to build. What is really lacking is TAXPAYER dollars that are going to go to buying a $40 box for people who "Cannot afford one". This is absurd, TV is not a right of Americans for the government to protect. Why should WE have to pay for the derelicts who cannot get a job and make $40 so they can sit and watch TV? This is America, if you need $40, it is not hard to make! Go mow a lawn, paint a house, walk a dog, or even get a real job!

This change is gonna suck for some people, but the benefits far outweigh the costs this far in.

Excellent

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:21 pm

I can agree with most all of what Palmer said there.
Basically being, TV isn't a "right" guaranteed by the government.
Taxpayer dollars shouldn't be put towards converter boxes 'n' such.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:24 pm

The $40 coupons aren't for people who can't afford converter boxes, Palmer. They're an incentive for people to get them and a way to make the transition easier for everyone. Come on, the government's giving you up to $80 worth of coupons to buy yourself converter boxes with. Since they're now essentially free, why not pick one or two up and be prepared ahead of time?
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:The $40 coupons aren't for people who can't afford converter boxes, Palmer. They're an incentive for people to get them and a way to make the transition easier for everyone. Come on, the government's giving you up to $80 worth of coupons to buy yourself converter boxes with. Since they're now essentially free, why not pick one or two up and be prepared ahead of time?
Most people I know that have digital TVs are not going to buy converter boxes. I am not going to buy any, even though I have two TVs that are analog. Why? Because I do not think it is fair to essentially take money from the people who happen to have already invested in a new TV set, and give it to people who do not want to pay themselves. If I do end up buying some boxes, I am going to do it the old fashioned way: Pay for it myself using my own money. Sure, the "smart" thing to do is to get the $80, but the government should, plain and simple, not be doing this. TV is a commerical market, it is not their job to ensure that the network's ads reach everybody.

Boxes are like $40 now, and will only get cheaper. The hassle of getting the coupons is large enough that a lot of people will just buy one anyways. Besides, look at the budget for coupons: It is GONE. No money left. If there were to somehow be more, would it be responsible of me to use up those slots? The money is meant for people who cannot afford it. While I do not think giving them the money is right, it is even less right to take that money when you can easily afford it WITHOUT taking money from people.

(Note: I am not super-impassioned over this, and do not judge people based on their opinions on this matter. In the end, this is just a small peeve) :wink:

Excellent

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 pm

I think that without some kind of incentive or compensation, people would be pretty unhappy with having to shell out their own hard-earned cash to buy converter boxes for what is truly a forced transition. Think about it: if given the choice between spending your own cash to buy converter boxes or else not be able to use their TVs for TV watching any more, people are going to spend their own money, but they'll be pissed about it, because it's really basically a waste. However, if the government gives them money to buy a converter box or two so that they won't have to spend their own money, don't you think the whole switchover would go over a bit more smoothly?
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.