Modded Gameboy Color, not much special....

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
Modded Gameboy Color, not much special....

Post by palmertech » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:54 pm

I made this ages ago, never posted pictures, and I found a few floating around in my photobucket! :D

Black rubber grip and satin silver paint, overclocked/normal speed via a switch in the battery compartment, and a new amp, much louder than normal, higher quality, too.

It has a copy of pokemon crystal with a blue LED inside for maximum win.

I am working on a new GBC mod, thought I would show this off in the meanwhile. Next one will have many new features.

Fun fact: This gameboy was sold to a scammer, and an poop egress, too. If you see it in your neighborhood, please promptly report it to emergency services, then punch the owner in the face. :wink:

Excellent

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Modded Gameboy Color, not much special....

Post by vskid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 pm

I like the coloring in the buttons. I may have to do that to my controllers...

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Glowing game cart is badass.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:47 pm

That's pretty sweet! Love the paint job. The LED in the cartridge is awesome, too.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Nice work.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 pm

what do you mean it was sold to a scammer? You mean he didn't pay?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 am

keep looking for it on ebay.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

underclocked

Post by underclocked » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:what do you mean it was sold to a scammer? You mean he didn't pay?
If I remember right, Palmer accidentally sent some other stuff with the gameboy and the buyer decided to not send the extra stuff back and then had his phone number changed, along with blocking palmers number.

dimefan90

Post by dimefan90 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Wow, if that had been frontlit, it would be the ultimate gameboy color for gamers. perfect for pokemon

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:10 pm

underclocked wrote:
17daysolderthannes wrote:what do you mean it was sold to a scammer? You mean he didn't pay?
If I remember right, Palmer accidentally sent some other stuff with the gameboy and the buyer decided to not send the extra stuff back and then had his phone number changed, along with blocking palmers number.
Actually, he never paid a cent, OR sent me my stuff back. :( That story is actually still in progress, when this epic tale is done, I will post about it.

I have a frontlit GBC I made today, need to paint it, but unlikely it will happen before March, as I am working on my N64p right now.

Excellent

Oniak

Post by Oniak » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 am

Might I ask how you painted it?

RunWithScissors

Post by RunWithScissors » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 pm

palmertech wrote: ...overclocked/normal speed via a switch in the battery compartment, and a new amp, much louder than normal, higher quality, too.
Hi, been lurking for a few weeks, admiring all the mods you & Bibin & the others have achieved with the Gambeoy platforms.

Just a few questions for you:
I recently acquired a GBC that I'm looking to mess with, and whilst I'm perfectly comfortable soldering and working on small electronics and such, I'm not too hot with circuit building... So my first question is how did you install the switch & faster crystal? - Do you simply remove the original, then re-install it in tandem with a faster crystal and then just throw a switch? I know it's no longer in your posession, but if you have any pics, or even a diagram of how you managed that it would help me out no end.

How did you go about installing a new amp? Is this comparable to the ProSound mod? - For my GBC, I'm currently looking to overclock, install a rechargable battery pack and add a frontlight. I'm considering playing around with the speaker (relocating to the back of the case and replacing with a larger one, for instance). What would you say the amp adds to the sound?

Sorry to throw all those your way at once, but I'd greatly appreciate any assistance you (or any others) can offer.

Once again, great work, not just here but in all the threads I've seen, I'm inspired!

Cheers

Keir

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 pm

RunWithScissors wrote:
palmertech wrote: ...overclocked/normal speed via a switch in the battery compartment, and a new amp, much louder than normal, higher quality, too.
Hi, been lurking for a few weeks, admiring all the mods you & Bibin & the others have achieved with the Gambeoy platforms.

Just a few questions for you:
I recently acquired a GBC that I'm looking to mess with, and whilst I'm perfectly comfortable soldering and working on small electronics and such, I'm not too hot with circuit building... So my first question is how did you install the switch & faster crystal? - Do you simply remove the original, then re-install it in tandem with a faster crystal and then just throw a switch? I know it's no longer in your posession, but if you have any pics, or even a diagram of how you managed that it would help me out no end.

How did you go about installing a new amp? Is this comparable to the ProSound mod? - For my GBC, I'm currently looking to overclock, install a rechargable battery pack and add a frontlight. I'm considering playing around with the speaker (relocating to the back of the case and replacing with a larger one, for instance). What would you say the amp adds to the sound?
Keir
Hooray, glad someone likes my modz. :lol:

Crystal: I removed the old one, and hooked up the two to a switch that lets me switch between which leg is connected. You can only switch while the GBC is off, though. :( In the future, I might be using a GBAaccelerator for real stealth (It uses the same frequency as the GBC).

Amp: I got one from a tiny plug in ipod speaker. Speaker was terrible, amp was good. The problem with the GBC amp is that because it is small, cheap, and uses dated tech, it produces a "buzz", and cannot go very loud. This new amp is better on both those fronts. Now, the prosound mod is not made for headphones or speakers, it is line-out for using an external amp. Because of that, using any kind of amplification is going to degrade the signal a bit, so no, the sound is not as good as the prosound mod. It is hooked up to the places where you do the prosound mod, but is amplified so you can actually use headphones and speakers. ;)

Battery: Get a PSP battery and an external charging circuit from dealextreme.com. Very nice for GBC usage.

Frontlight: Just read those old threads, lots of info.

I am making a GBC with the same mods again, but this time, it will be in a GB pocket shell. :D

Or, if I buy that pokemon GBC in the trading post, I will mod that instead.

Oh, and I missed that last comment someone left: I used some Krylon Silver paint, and this neat rubbery satin grip paint by Du-Pont, I think. I borrowed it from my job, so I will have to check on the exact type. :wink:

Excellent

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Overclo ... Boy_Color/

does anybody ever pay attention to my overclocking guide

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm

oh, palmertech, what pins on the gbc cart did you power the LED from?