So I bought a PS3...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 pm

I lack both an Xbox 360 or a PC capable of playing "Fallout 3."

Sorry.

However, it's interesting to note that the PS3 version is the highest-rated version of the game.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Played both the PS3 and PC version (brother has PS3 version). Mouse > controller any day. Its just straight up a better control scheme on the PC. My brother agreed.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 pm

I think that's just a matter of preference. Personally, I honestly can't see any real advantage to a keyboard and mouse over a gamepad. I'd much rather sacrifice a little aiming sensitivity for being able to kick back and get comfortable with a dual analog gamepad over having to sit hunched uncomfortably over a keyboard and mouse.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:I think that's just a matter of preference. Personally, I'd rather sacrifice a little aiming sensitivity for being able to kick back and get comfortable with a dual analog gamepad over having to sit hunched uncomfortably over a keyboard and mouse.

I honestly can't see any real advantage to a keyboard and mouse over a gamepad.
Who playes hunched over? I got a big comfy chair :lol:. Try playing a game like CSS with a gamepad then play with a mouse. You will understand then.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 pm

I've played "Half-Life" with a keyboard and mouse on my PC and with a gamepad on my PS2, along with the whole of "The Orange Box" on my PS3. Gamepad wins every time for the comfort factor.

Also, I like knowing that if I buy a game for my PS3, it'll work, no questions asked. When I bought "Portal" for my PC, my computer surpassed the minimum specs, so I assumed it'd be fine. Man, was I wrong. I've never experienced such horrible framerate issues...
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 am

Twilight Wolf wrote:I've played "Half-Life" with a keyboard and mouse on my PC and with a gamepad on my PS2, along with the whole of "The Orange Box" on my PS3. Gamepad wins every time for the comfort factor.

Also, I like knowing that if I buy a game for my PS3, it'll work, no questions asked. When I bought "Portal" for my PC, my computer surpassed the minimum specs, so I assumed it'd be fine. Man, was I wrong. I've never experienced such horrible framerate issues...
For a long time my roommate last year couldn't even play The Orange Box till a patch came out for it and even then its poo compared to the PC version. Terrible graphics compared to what the PC version can do.
The wood master

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:21 am

What, the PS3 version? It probably runs a hell of a lot better than my laptop could do, at least. Besides, I thought we all knew graphics don't make the game. It's still mad fun, and isn't that what matters? I just came out of a match of "Team Fortress 2," as a matter of fact. Blew up three people simultaneously as a Demoman earlier, actually. Good times.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:48 am

Let's not have a PC vs. console war here. Yes keyboard and mouse is a better scheme for FPS, and it does suck for almost everything else (excluding RTS') Console gamepads are great for everything but FPS, and they still work well enough. Some people like gamepads better for FPS, I don't understand these people. but they have a right to like it if they want to.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:Besides, I thought we all knew graphics don't make the game.
True but why pay more for less? Plus the PC version has custom maps, mods, and whole bunch of goodies.
The wood master

Twilight Wolf

Re: So I bought a PS3...

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:35 pm

The PC version actually costs more. Last time I checked, "The Orange Box" for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 cost only $20, and the PC version cost $30.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:19 pm

So anyway... Where were we before all this lame PC B.S. started? Oh yes... Uncharted...

I estimate it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 hours to beat (a couple of sittings). It was actually longer than I expected based on all the comments about how short it is on the interwebs. I was expecting it to be like 5 or 6 hours long. Anyway, it is a great game and I definitely plan on playing through it again at some point. Gotta get more trophies after all! LOL

Fallout 3? Meh... In my opinion Fable 2 is a far superior game, but you can only get it on 360 so it isn't exactly germane to this discussion. I'm glad other people got hooked on Fallout 3, but it didn't do it for me. I was pretty pumped for its release too. It is no Oblivion that's for sure.

Now THERE'S a great game that you can snag on the PS3!

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:The PC version actually costs more. Last time I checked, "The Orange Box" for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 cost only $20, and the PC version cost $30.
When it was first released. PC was $50, 360 and PS3 was $60.
So anyway... Where were we before all this lame PC B.S. started? Oh yes... Uncharted...
Hey! don't change the subject :lol:
The wood master

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Rekarp wrote:
Twilight Wolf wrote:The PC version actually costs more. Last time I checked, "The Orange Box" for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 cost only $20, and the PC version cost $30.
When it was first released. PC was $50, 360 and PS3 was $60.
Yeah, to be fair, I can imagine the PS3 version hitting the $15 mark by year's end. You know, since the PS3 version has been, to make a terrible pun, Left 4 Dead.

Anyways, enough of this petty debate. I've spent at least 20+ hours on "Uncharted" and I'm only something like 51% done with it. I suck.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Uncharted is a good game tho 8)
The wood master

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 pm

It's awesome. Nathan Drake is quite the character.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.