Broken Game Gear

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

xboxmods
Broken Game Gear

Post by xboxmods » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

I got a game gear about a week ago, and it was working fine, except for the sound. Today i took it apart, and tried to solder on a new capacitor for the sound. When i put it back together, it was broken. It turns on the screen and backlight, then turns off. Did i fry the soundboard? If so, does anybody have a working one they could ship me? :(

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Broken Game Gear

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 pm

I don't know what you did to the Game Gear, but in my experience, the speakers often go out. I bought one used, and there's no sound other than using headphones. In fact, I don't know the last time I saw one that had working speakers...

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:40 pm

its all bad capacitors, the switching off is just another bad capacitor symptom. I have 2 game gears, both well kept from when I was younger (one of them had a messed up "squishy button" pad for the d-pad, that was my mom's fault, I don't feel like explaining) and both will turn on, then switch off if you don't first turn the brightness and sound all the way down and then creep it up after a few seconds. Eventually I'm going to swap them all out, its all a matter of getting the time and finding a place with the right size capacitors (both physical space and farad/voltage).

robm

Post by robm » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Repairing these are super-easy - replace all those silver canister capacitors, and you're good to go.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 pm

There's info on Kyo's site... this site.