Which coding language is more valuable...

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Be smart go Basic!
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19 am

I didn't even read all the posts in this thread, but I can promise you that learning C will do you the most good. All higher level programming languages are built on top of C. That being said, now-a-days it's hard to find a simple C compiler/IDE for Windoze, so I'm going to recommend that you download Visual C++ Express 2008 from Micorosoft; it's free and will be able to do far more than you, or I, will ever be able to do with C code. Learn C, then add in the cool C++ stuff like the standard template library and some of the cooler game engines. Then if you're feeling frisky, learn OpenGL. If you get OpenGL down, you'll be a bigger badass than I am!

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:47 am

C programming is a must.

A good programmers back ground should atleast cover

Machine Code
Assembly
C
C++
And atleast one higher level like Perl.

If you are in any reputable Electrical Engineering program they pound Machine Code and Assembly into your head.

Oh and Java sucks ass. I have to do Data Structures in Java next semester and I am not looking forward to it.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 am

Rekarp wrote:C programming is a must.

A good programmers back ground should atleast cover

Machine Code
Assembly
C
C++
And atleast one higher level like Perl.

If you are in any reputable Electrical Engineering program they pound Machine Code and Assembly into your head.

Oh and Java sucks ass. I have to do Data Structures in Java next semester and I am not looking forward to it.
lol

dunno where you get this wisdom from but if youre doing a university study informatica direction Software Engineer(programming) ... JAVA is all youre gonna learn... they'll show some basic stuff in C but thats it :D

if you want to learn the language you described youre not doing a study programming but youre doing a study technical informatica .. directions of a job to think of ... write "software" for the new washingmachine :D thats what you get as a job when you take a study in C, ASM and based on those :D and then again, a big part of that study uses JAVA as well ;)

both directions start with 1 or 2 years JAVA, then include a little C and in TI they give you more C and a start on ASM....

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am

b_w_johan wrote: dunno where you get this wisdom from but if youre doing a university study informatica direction Software Engineer(programming) ... JAVA is all youre gonna learn... they'll show some basic stuff in C but thats it :D
Here at UT all that is required for graduating with either an EE or CS bachelor degree.

To fully understand how a computer works on the gate level it is best to start from the ground and work your way up. This semester I am taking Data Structures in JAVA (EE322C) and Intro To Microcontrollers (EE319K). Data structures uses Java of course but we are going to program the microcontrollers in Assembly.

In EE 306, our first programming class, we program in Machine Code and then Assembly.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 am

b_w_johan wrote:dunno where you get this wisdom from but if youre doing a university study informatica direction Software Engineer(programming) ... JAVA is all youre gonna learn... they'll show some basic stuff in C but thats it :D

if you want to learn the language you described youre not doing a study programming but youre doing a study technical informatica .. directions of a job to think of ... write "software" for the new washingmachine :D thats what you get as a job when you take a study in C, ASM and based on those :D and then again, a big part of that study uses JAVA as well ;)

both directions start with 1 or 2 years JAVA, then include a little C and in TI they give you more C and a start on ASM....
I don't know what your school's program is like, but each one is different. I'm a Computer Engineering student, and most of our programming work has been in C++. I've also had a class in Assembly and am taking one now in VHDL. In some of the other classes I've taken the professor let's you pick whatever language you want to use, though most usually pick C++ or Java.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:31 am

Strange, then in The Netherlands its like i explained...
Same for Romania(roemenië) (chatting with someone on MSN doing the same study he's getting the exact same lessons as i did get...)

so i guess europa has a different aproach on the term Software Engineer...

i'm gonna try if i can get ASM and C classes as well ... i did like it, and don't really understand why we only get some basic knowledge in C ...

grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:43 pm

C++ is used by professional companies to develop video games for systems like the PS3,Xbox360,Wii, etc. C was made for mainly developing operating systems, but it can be used for other stuff. Im not really sure what the biggest difference between C++ and C is because they can both pretty much do the same thing, so aside to syntax, if you know one you should have no problem learning the other. not sure why you would throw C# in there since its like completely different from all the other ones, but i think its for the .NET framework, which means it probably wont be good if your planning on programming for Linux, or game consols or something. but i barely know anything about .NET, so that might not be true =/

Idk about Java, but i think thats more of a browser based programming language. even though it can be used to develop applications, i think browser applications are more common.

Hope that helped, although some parts might be wrong since idk much about java,C#, or even C...my strongest programing languages are C++,PHP,HTML, and GML(gamemaker).

btw, its called a programming language, not a 'coding language'.
HEY! the conversation is up there ^

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Woah woah woah grumpymonkey, please don't explain things if you don't know what you're talking about.

C is a procedural, or function-based, programming language. That means it's designed to have a main subroutine that calls functions to do it's thing.

C++ was based on C, but is an object-oriented programming language. This means you have classes that you make objects of and each class has its own methods that can be called to do what you need to do.

C#, as far as I'm aware, is fairly similar to C++ in that it's object-oriented. As you said though, it was developed by Microsoft and used the .NET Framework, so it's not cross-platform-friendly like C or C++.

Java is an object-oriented programming language, very similar to C++ on a high level. However it has built in memory management so programmers don't have to worry about allocating and deallocating memory. It also runs on a virtual machine so that most Java programs don't have to be recompiled to run on different OSes like C and C++ do. It's not "browser-based" at all; you're probably thinking of Javascript, which is not the same thing.

You can write pretty much any type of program with any of these programming languages, from a game, to a word processor, to an OS. You just have to know how to use them.

Also, 'coding language' is perfectly fine, as it's a language you write code with.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

joeyjoe9876

Re: Which coding language is more valuable...

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:31 pm

i <3 java :D
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm

fuentesmith wrote:I think that Java is better programming language than C and C++. Because Java is robust, platform independent, supports multi threading and very light application.
Once you start using Java for real-world projects you'll realize it sucks hard :)

-slow
-inefficient
-wastes memory
-write once, debug everywhere
-window systems are terrible

I wrote a 3d rasterization engine in Java a long time ago. Rewrote it in C and it used 1/4 the memory and ran about 10 times faster. Compiles were also WAY faster.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:34 pm

you can't say one is more valuable. especially since you didn't specify what kind of project you have (web? console? database?)
in terms of marketability and the current US employers - C# is what they're looking for when it comes to application and tool development.

C/C++ is a lot more powerful than C# but a lot more difficult to learn.
there's always basic (visual, vb.net), good for simple tools and a client side interface. pretty easy to learn.

for more powerful server apps/scripts there's PERL and Python
for web there's PHP, AJAX, Flash, java, asp, etc... for scripting and HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS, etc...
Then there's machine languages like Assembly and G-Code.
All these languages have their own uses and are generally used in combinations. One is not more "valuable" than the other.

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:01 pm

C and C++.

C first... Duh :shock:
Then C++

But if you suck at math and algebra learn that first! That is important...

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:24 am

Back in my day we flipped those bits by hand! And liked it to! :mrgreen:
The wood master

brunoip

Post by brunoip » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:41 am

I prefer java.
I have programmed some games in this language.