HOWTO: Update CFW PSP to 5.00M33-6 by WiFi [56K!]

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Aguiluz
HOWTO: Update CFW PSP to 5.00M33-6 by WiFi [56K!]

Post by Aguiluz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm

Before this starts, I want to make it clear that you need a WiFi connection. This guide is perfect for people without WiFi connections (although I haven't tested it), while this one is good for people with access to WiFi Equipment.

--------------------

You'll need
1. A PSP. A phat has been used here.
2. A stable WiFi connection.
3. A PSP charger.

--------------------

Enter the service menu (or whatever they call it). This is done by fully switching off the PSP (hold the power button upwards for a few seconds) then turning it on while holding R trigger.

Go to CONFIGURATION then set USE M33 NETWORK UPDATE to ENABLED.

(No piccies here, sorry. :( )

Go back, then Exit.

--------------------

Here we got a PSP at 4.0xM33.

--------------------

Flick on the WiFi switch and select the Network update.

--------------------

Select your WiFi and press X.

Connecting...

--------------------

Here it says Update was found. Download it.

Download Complete.

---------------------

Go to GAME then MEMORY STICK then select the 5.00 M33 update.

Jack in your adaptor first!

(P.S: DJMAX Portable pwns Guitar Hero and all music games in my opinion. :P See that big crack on the lower left? That was caused by heavy-but-controlled button mashing through that game. :lol:)

----------------------

Once started, it will tell you that you don't have 500.PBP on your memory stick.

Press X to download it.

Downloading 500.PBP

-----------------------

Once the PSP has downloaded, it will verify that 500.PBP is complete (no damages/corrupt or anything).

------------------------

Follow the directions on the screen and update firmware. You don't need to read the license agreement crap! :lol:

-------------------------

Victory! :D

-------------------------

5.00 M33-6!!!!!111!!!1

Mission complete! Note that it retained my green theme color and all the settings, but I changed the color to blue for higher visibility.

slowman

Post by slowman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12 pm

I have a spare faceplate sitting around. $5 to cover the shipping and its yours. :D

Thanks for the walkthrough though, I tried to do this recently for the -6 update and my wifi wasn't stable enough. I'm currently on 5.00M33-4.

I just downloaded the update from DA's site and manually did it. Currently on 5.00M33-6. :)
Last edited by slowman on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 pm

I did the network update on my Psp phat a few weeks ago and when I updated the firmware to the 5.00 M33, it stopped letting me use the majority of my emulators. The Gba, Ps1 and Genesis games still work, but NES, SNES, and my Psp games don't all work. It shows the error code 80020321. Google doesn't seem to be helping me, any ideas?

Edit: my Psp seems to be working fine all of a sudden..?

Edit again: broke once more.

slowman

Post by slowman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Valium wrote:I did the network update on my Psp phat a few weeks ago and when I updated the firmware to the 5.00 M33, it stopped letting me use the majority of my emulators. The Gba, Ps1 and Genesis games still work, but NES, SNES, and my Psp games don't all work. It shows the error code 80020321. Google doesn't seem to be helping me, any ideas?

Do a hard shutdown on the PSP by holding the power button until it powers down. Start it back up while holding the R trigger. Go to configuration, and go down to UMD Mode. While that is highlighted, keep clicking X until you see M33 Driver -No UMD-. Then just go back and exit out of the recovery menu.

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Man thanks for putting a link to my guide up the top for people without a WiFi....

I need to update mine to M33-6... ( doing now... )

I tried your guide ( simply because i hadn't updated yet ) it works fine from 5.00 M33-4... on a slim...

Also, my friend had updated from 3.71 M33-2 straight to this using a phat... he uses his WiFi a lot...

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:35 pm

slowman wrote:
Valium wrote:I did the network update on my Psp phat a few weeks ago and when I updated the firmware to the 5.00 M33, it stopped letting me use the majority of my emulators. The Gba, Ps1 and Genesis games still work, but NES, SNES, and my Psp games don't all work. It shows the error code 80020321. Google doesn't seem to be helping me, any ideas?

Do a hard shutdown on the PSP by holding the power button until it powers down. Start it back up while holding the R trigger. Go to configuration, and go down to UMD Mode. While that is highlighted, keep clicking X until you see M33 Driver -No UMD-. Then just go back and exit out of the recovery menu.
Yeah I tried that, only fixed the Psp isos.

gamefreakfatty

Post by gamefreakfatty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Valium wrote:
slowman wrote:

Did you have the 1.50 kernel addon installed before you updated?

If you did, then you'll need to reinstall it for 5.00 M33.

You install it the same way, but using the newer 1.50 kernel addon installer:
5.00M33 1.50 Kernel Addon Installer

The 1.50 EBOOT.PBP update if you need it:
1.50 Firmware Update PBP

You might also need to go into Recovery mode (completely turn off the PSP, turn back on while holding the R trigger button) and go to Configuration to switch back to 1.50 kernel mode for the GAME folder.
i stink at making siggies

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:59 am

gamefreakfatty wrote:
Valium wrote:
slowman wrote:

Did you have the 1.50 kernel addon installed before you updated?

If you did, then you'll need to reinstall it for 5.00 M33.

You install it the same way, but using the newer 1.50 kernel addon installer:
5.00M33 1.50 Kernel Addon Installer

The 1.50 EBOOT.PBP update if you need it:
1.50 Firmware Update PBP

You might also need to go into Recovery mode (completely turn off the PSP, turn back on while holding the R trigger button) and go to Configuration to switch back to 1.50 kernel mode for the GAME folder.
Thank you Gamefreakfatty, I would have had no idea what to do otherwise, and this fixed my problem 100%.

gamefreakfatty

Post by gamefreakfatty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 am

Valium wrote:Thank you Gamefreakfatty, I would have had no idea what to do otherwise, and this fixed my problem 100%.
No problem.

Every new revision of OFW completely formats the flash when updating, which deletes the 1.50 kernel addon.

In the M33-x bugfixes it doesn't format the flash, it only updates/patches/adds files to add or fix features.

That's why 5.00 M33-4 to 5.00 M33-6 wouldn't do anything, but since you went from 4.01 M33-whatever (I'm too lazy to check) you had to reinstall the 1.50 addon.

Either way, the 1.50 addon is updated for each new version number.

P.S.
I don't like getting to big with the chained quotes...
i stink at making siggies