the Woodie DS

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm

not to hijack, but WTF!? I had someone bring in a DS Lite that was having the top screen go in and out (work fine, then jostle it slightly and it would go blank) and after I opened it up, tried to turn it on halfway through after reseating the top ribbon cable and it didn't do anything. All it would do was turn on the green LED for ~2 seconds and nothing else. Even the charger wouldn't power it up. I wonder if the problem with that DS was actually a loose graphics chip or something...If anyone has ever had that problem, please let me know, I guess through PM so as not to muck up the thread. I really need to know because this happened a week ago and I need to know if its my fault or if it was just a really abused DS.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:36 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:not to hijack, but WTF!? I had someone bring in a DS Lite that was having the top screen go in and out (work fine, then jostle it slightly and it would go blank) and after I opened it up, tried to turn it on halfway through after reseating the top ribbon cable and it didn't do anything. All it would do was turn on the green LED for ~2 seconds and nothing else. Even the charger wouldn't power it up. I wonder if the problem with that DS was actually a loose graphics chip or something...If anyone has ever had that problem, please let me know, I guess through PM so as not to muck up the thread. I really need to know because this happened a week ago and I need to know if its my fault or if it was just a really abused DS.
The DS Lite has a hardware check at boot, it will not start up unless all hardware is present and working properly (Or, almost properly. :wink: ).

Excellent

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 pm

I guarantee you all the tech blogs are going to have boners for your wood, Rekarp.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Life of Brian wrote:I guarantee you all the tech blogs are going to have boners for your wood, Rekarp.
And the penis jokes continue! :lol:

Finished the upper half of the DS today and installed the guts.

After the finishing coat. I used some high quality lacquer that I use for all my other wood projects. It gives it a deep rich color that gets even better as the wood ages.

Guts installed. Didn't do anything fancy about the internals. Just a little dab of hot glue to hold the screen, speakers, and WiFi antenna in.

It all works! Know just to build the lower half which will probably be a bit more difficult.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:32 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:not to hijack, but WTF!? I had someone bring in a DS Lite that was having the top screen go in and out (work fine, then jostle it slightly and it would go blank) and after I opened it up, tried to turn it on halfway through after reseating the top ribbon cable and it didn't do anything. All it would do was turn on the green LED for ~2 seconds and nothing else. Even the charger wouldn't power it up. I wonder if the problem with that DS was actually a loose graphics chip or something...If anyone has ever had that problem, please let me know, I guess through PM so as not to muck up the thread. I really need to know because this happened a week ago and I need to know if its my fault or if it was just a really abused DS.
Make sure the Ribbon cable is FIRMLY attached to the bottom board. It took me a couple tries to get the silly thing seated correct.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm

you should try to make brass or aluminum buttons.... or i dunno.

anyway, this thing is NUTS. totally crazy. i love it!

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:26 am

Wow, this thing is beautiful! You should be proud of yourself. Seriously.

I know you've probably heard this before, but you've got talent, my good sir.

Keep up the good work!
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:10 am

Life of Brian wrote:I guarantee you all the tech blogs are going to have boners for your wood, Rekarp.
ah, probably just morning wood

khaag

Post by khaag » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 am

I need some Jergens and box of Kleenex!
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Shinnen

Post by Shinnen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:08 am

looking sweet!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Uh oh - looks like Rekarp's website is down...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Been down all day. Host hasnt emailed me back yet >_>

edit// Well after threatening to switch hosts my website came back online 1 minute later. :lol:
The wood master

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:18 pm

Now that's customer service!
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Wow! That is amazing! If I ever get a DS, I may have to commission you. :D I'm just blown away!

Let me know if you ever find #2 screws in anything but brass. I've been looking for several years without success.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

khaag

Post by khaag » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 pm

For all your hardware and fastening needs, always go to McMaster-Carr!

They have everything! Including #2 screws in something other than brass. ;)
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]