Stephen0205 - first project - playstation 1 :)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

stephen0205
Stephen0205 - first project - playstation 1 :)

Post by stephen0205 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:58 pm

Some of u may know me but being new to the site and modding comunity ..... hi.

After seeing bens xbox 360 laptop mod, i was drawn to this site, and once i entered the forum,...... wow. The amazing things i found, the work u guys do and so well.

I was instantly intreaged, so i thought to myself, mmmmm i could do that. the amount of information on this forum would allow me to make my own portable console.

But the choice, i mean what to do =
*ps1
*xbox
*ps2
*nes
*atari
*gamecube

The choice here is unbaleavable, but for mine i decided id go with a ps1 console, loved it, love the classics, u cant beat the final fantasy games, and some crash bandicoot.

So to start me off i bought some basic tools =
*soldering iron (ebay £10)
*small electrical screwdriver set(£2 woolworths closing down sale) r.i.p woolies
*Some solder, one is led free one isnt (ebay £4)
*Hot glue gun (woolies £2)
*Glue sticks(ebay £13)

And the most important tool for me ....... bens book. U gotta start somewhere, so i bough this to help, and ill use it along with guides on here, and make my own from that, but mostly ill be using bacteria's ps1 project for the basis of mine.

so now some hardware i got. And then pulled apart, heheh lets see.

I got the psone console from my lil cusin, cost me, had a screen, so worth it.

Then i removed all the screws from he bottom and removed the top half of the case, just lifted off.

out with that drive mechanism, just a wire and a ribbon cable and out it lifted.

out with the motherboard, easy as, just lifted again, no cables.

then left with the metal interior.

Ah the white case, meerly a shadow of its former self

Now for the sony ps1 screen, man that was a baw to open, removed the screws, on all the case, 2 at the top.

After that i used a small screw drive and unclipped the clips that hold it together and took the full case off, removing any screws along the way.

After taking it all appart i was left with the screen, the motherboard, speakers and the connectors.(i plan on doing the led mod for the screen when putting my portable together.

For the case to hold this console i will be using the case kit by bacteria, the same one used for his console. Thanks to him im project will go a lot more smoothly.

Im not quite sure how long my project will take but im determined not to be one of these people who start something and dont finish it, weather i make a good job of it is to be decided but i WILL finish this project.

I plan to start soldering as soon as i can, i dont yet know how to solder yet ( haha i know and im attempting this) but i have a few only motherboards and xbox's lying around to practice on. Just waiting the arival of my wire. But ill practive with some ide cables.

For anyone who is inerested i got a hold of a non sony ps1 screen, im not sure if it would work for this proect, as it has seperate boards for sound and that, its rather thick but the main bord is in the screen shell, so its not wide in height or width. Anyone have any ideas of it would work ?

http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii46 ... 20genuine/

Well thats it for this post, just thought id let u guys see the progress i make, ill update the thread when i do more stuff. Im mainly stuck for time

*work
*college
*studying
*the girlfriend

But ill have something new for u later this week.

[/img]

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 pm

It'll be interesting to see what someone else can do with a bacteria case.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Wow I'm looking forward to this portable, you have a great way of detailing every step in a picture... verrrry nice haha

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 am

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Like collinE, I'll also be interested to see what someone can do with one of bacteria's cases.

Keep us posted!
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 am

Excellent! Image

I will make my kit available to you as soon as ready, before "official launch" so you can start quicker. I need to make some cases using my molds (hope they hold out ok) and also recheck some documents I have made as well as make more, to be included in case - so I have more work to do in this area yet, but not much.

I too am very interested to see how someone else gets along with using my case and kit; as stephen0205 is so keen and wanted to be the first, he will be, and will have a keen price on the kit too, as my "test subject" - seems fair! :D I will have three prices available, normal price via e-bay, discounted price to BenHeck members and extra discounted price for people like stephen0205 who want to get cracking on the project and do their progress build thread on this forum (PM me if you do too... :D ). Test subjects are important as it is the best way to see how others fair replicating work and guides.

BTW stephen0205, nice and very detailed pics and good methodical approach, excellent. Practice not only soldering and desoldering to the dead/sample boards you mention, but also practice using a dremel (or similar too) for cutting fine details, round holes, etc. I presume you also have a set of cheapie small files? (you will need those a lot). Practice using those too.

I am very happy and proud that you have chosen to replicate my work and wish you every success, so feel free to PM me for any assistance at all you need on your project. I might even help you out with bits and bobs I may have spare, if you need them, let me know...

John

mmoshkowich
PSN Username:mikedacat

Post by mmoshkowich » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 am

The first Bacteria kit portable awsome!

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Sounds like you're off to a great start! If this turns out well, it may just be my final straw to start as well!
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Go for it ian2120 ! You want to make a PSone portable too??

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Good job so far! It's nice that you can figure out how to use the "Search" function, unlike some new people who come here... >_>

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Well a small update for u guys, nothing much happening rite now, most of my spare time is tuesdays and wednesdays, (off work and college :) )

anyhooo i jumped on ebay and bougth some more tools, bacteria mentioned, files, and a dremel, came with 160 pieces, so i thought ok, ill buy them, i knew i needed them, i was gonna wait for the case to arrive, but i thought best be prepared.

anyhow some pics for u guys

and i plan to start soldering, well practice, on tuesday and poss tomorrow if i get some free time, i have some old laptops and consoles lying around i was gonna practice on.

Maybe use my xbox crystal, i wasnt planning on using it for any project so seems like a nice test subject.

also i was talking to bacteria, sharing a few of my ideas. For the case speakers i may not be able to use my ps1 speakers, i think i may have dameged onee when taking the spreen casing apart, so i was thinking i have a few spare nokie speakers, there wicked loud, and not to big or heavy neather. What do u guys think.

And maybe sticking the memcard slot inside the console and make it like a cart somewhere, like the way u would with a snes or n64, i dont want a second player port so it will slim it a little. Ill get some measurements for u guys soon.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Those speakers, (well, one of them)
Would look pretty kick-ass sticking onto the top or bottom.
Leave it in its case, tack it on.
It'll look awesome.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Speakers larger than the PSone speakers won't fit in my system, I designed the casing to use the PSone speakers as anyone who opens up a PSone screen automatically has these speakers. Just needs a little trimmed off them to fit in my system.

I have a couple of spare speakers if you need them, let me know if you do and I can send you them in your kit as "freebies". If however the speakers you refer to and going to take apart are the right size (and no thicker I add), go for it!

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:52 am

that would be most apreciated, i only need one speaker, i damaged the left one ooops.

But the nokia ones are wicked loud, and slim, the bul;k behimd them u see is for batterys, but as they wont be needed winds up that then are really slim. Long but slim.

I wa shoping that using these would give me more room to possibly place my batterys, as i was going to put them on the bottom of the case, i was thinking that one might be loud euff and stick it on the bottom.

What u think.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:55 am

No space on the case bottom for a speaker, seriously.

stephen0205

Post by stephen0205 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

well today i got some free time, decied i would start soldering, well attempting to learn how to do it.

for my first attempt i thought id do a simple led mod, hahah simple, ok i screwed it up.

I decided i was going to do a simple mod to the leds on my xbox 360 controller, it did not go as i thought, reading and watching videos on how to do this, basicly put 2 small blobs of solder at either side (i think i may have been doing it wrong cause i got no blobs)then one larger one, remove the led on it. The ass the new, one, and a blob at either side.

and then desoldered, new one added, then removed, and heres the damage

also i think that i may have damaged the soldering iron, unfortunately, good thing i bought a pack with an extra tip,

on the plus, i got some new tools today, and sprayed an xbox 360 red, was awsome, will post some pics in the other section for that as well as these ones for the controller.

could anyone recoment some videos or some way to practice soldering, maybe make it easier for me. I thought this would be easy, a breeze well the soldering part, and i make a complete arse of it.

Im still continueing this project, but untill im decent at it i wont touch my ps1 screen, as it took me long enuff to find.

thanks guys