Project LASER (BenHeck videogame)

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:18 am

Crimson_X wrote:... Java ...
There's potential in this. JOGL provides OpenGL support to the JVM, and the end product would be portable to any platform with a compliant JVM available (Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, etc). No X360 support, though, not in your wildest dreams.

That said, count me in provisionally - I'm comfortable with C/C++, the Win32 API, etc, however haven't used OpenGL (or any hardware-accelerated graphics libraries), and so may not be as helpful as others here. Someone else can draw up a model and split the programming into modules, I'll see what I can tackle.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 am

Finally, some action here, this is the smallest forum of all*, and it's at the top of the page! *(I don't know, maybe arcade)
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 pm

If you guys are going all 2D, then SDL is the best way to go. Then code your engine in C.

If you structure your code right, you will only have to set a compiler option and re-compile code, and you'll have a binary for another platform.

I've noticed that with these types of community projects, that they almost always fail. It's a bigger problem the more people get involved. What happens is that everyone expects everyone else will do the work - that talent and skill will appear out of nowhere when needed. It might sound crazy but if you want this project to succeed, you'll need a small core group of people with AIM communication who will be willing to isolate themselves from the rest of the people to get something done.

Division of labor is ultimately what you need, but the minute you add another developer, communication becomes more difficult and you lose structure. Also another thing I see a lot of here is people volunteering for things but when push comes to shove, they don't deliver.

I'm interested in this project but I'll hold off until I see something concrete happen.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:56 pm

marshallh wrote:If you guys are going all 2D, then SDL is the best way to go. Then code your engine in C.
Also another path that would could take, however an iPhone version would be unavailable for some time until SDL is ported successfully for it.

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:59 pm

I'd have to say I support reaching the most platforms possible.

SDL will allow PC, Linux, and Mac versions.
Quite simply, every member of the forums will be able to play it.

Putting it on iPhone, Wii, DS, PSP, 360, anything like that, does nothing more than limit the number of people who will ever play it, which I think is absolutely the wrong direction for a project of this nature.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:14 pm

jleemero wrote:I'd have to say I support reaching the most platforms possible.

SDL will allow PC, Linux, and Mac versions.
Quite simply, every member of the forums will be able to play it.

Putting it on iPhone, Wii, DS, PSP, 360, anything like that, does nothing more than limit the number of people who will ever play it, which I think is absolutely the wrong direction for a project of this nature.
Agreed. Make a version for PC, Mac, and Linux, in that order. You can think about other ports later. If you attempt to hit a lot of platforms, especially such diverse ones, you will get an end product that isn't very good on any of them.

I think that you guys should try to get a whole forum section for the project. That would aid organization significantly.

Third point- decide how fancy you're going to get. Are you going to use an existing engine? If so- which kind? A simple adventure game engine like AGS? Or a full blown 3D monster like Source? Or are you going to start from scratch. If you plan on doing that, then you need to decide what language etc you are going to use. I'm not the expert on those things. I don't even pretend to be an expert on those things.

So I have a few suggestions on what should be done:

1. Create a new forum for the project. Move all existing topics to the forum. Possibly lock it for development team members only. (which basically means the end of my input. On the upside you won't have annoying n00bs in it either)
2. Figure out a few things (examples below). A poll probably isn't the best way to do it. Group pro/con threads might do the trick. I think the final decision should be up to the person/people who have to do it. IE the coders have the final decision on what language to use.
3. Lay down a definitive plan. How the game will play out, how it is going to be played, how long, what needs to get done, etc.

So here's a few things you need to figure out (IMHO):
1. Who's on the team. The sooner you put together at least the main team, the sooner you can get cracking. Also figure out who's doing what.
2. What language to use. C++, Java, or English (just joking)
3. How long is the game going to be?
4. How will the game play out. (ie story and gameplay- somewhat done already I guess)
I've probably missed a lot.

I'm probably going to get flamed by the real leader a lot for this post. Oh well. Well, I'm going to go watch the movie (unless I have to pay lol).

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:31 pm

I am talking to some people, and like Marshal says, a core group is essential. We are definitely looking for input, but in the end, it will be up to a few people.

@XCVG: Making a whole forum is probably unlikely. Know what this Dev forum originally was, years ago? It was the Grand Theft Portable thread, a very ambitious attempt to make a benheck based GTA clone. We have this forum, I do not think we really need another.

Excellent

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:58 pm

XCVG wrote: , or English (just joking)
Oh, oh dear.
You just wasted the next hour or so of my life.

Oh god why?!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Why not use Adventure Game Studio? It's free and you can use it for commercial purposes. It was originally designed to make Sierra-style point and click adventure games (King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc), but it can be used for other types of games. ("Art of Theft", for example, was made with it.) I've messed around with it before; it's not too difficult to work with.

The only downside is it's limited to computers (Windows, Mac, and Linux, the latter two only having players).

What kind of game are you planning on making?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Me and Skyone have been talking, and it looks like SDL is a good way to go, and it would be possible for an OpenGL/ES port at some point.

Regardless, as soon as he is on AIM to make a poll, there will be a poll thread where people can vote on what platform/language they want the game to be in. Note that the winner will not be descisive, but it will let us know what people want. :D

Excellent

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Don't really wanna make a poll, as down the line, it won't really affect anything but how hard the game is to program for me. :lol:

However to add onto what palmertech said, I'm going to make a quick and easy 2D engine just for the game, that will inherit from SDL. It'll have very basic wrapper functions such as DrawSprite(), and properties such as x and y for each object etc. Later on in the game, I will be able to change the back end from SDL to OpenGL or any other library very easily.

So I'm thinking that we'll have Windows, Linux and OS X release simultaneously, provided that some one beta tests Linux.

Also, I REALLY need to know how this game is gonna work. Side-scrolling platformer? Top down shooter? We need game design working on this ASAP, or this game will go no where.

SO HURRY!

Squintus
Steam ID:tehsquint

Post by Squintus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:44 pm

At the very least, it should start with a minigame where you try to throw the Atari into the Dumpster. :P

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:02 pm

... After you use the dust inside it and a can of compressed air to reveal security lasers, of course. :P

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Skyone wrote:Don't really wanna make a poll, as down the line, it won't really affect anything but how hard the game is to program for me. :lol:

However to add onto what palmertech said, I'm going to make a quick and easy 2D engine just for the game, that will inherit from SDL. It'll have very basic wrapper functions such as DrawSprite(), and properties such as x and y for each object etc. Later on in the game, I will be able to change the back end from SDL to OpenGL or any other library very easily.

So I'm thinking that we'll have Windows, Linux and OS X release simultaneously, provided that some one beta tests Linux.

Also, I REALLY need to know how this game is gonna work. Side-scrolling platformer? Top down shooter? We need game design working on this ASAP, or this game will go no where.

SO HURRY!
We need to have a design mapped out before we even think about coding. It seems pointless for you to be writing code if you don't even know what we're trying to achieve. Let's focus our discussion on that.

If this is going to be a 2D game based off of The Adventurous, I think the best way to do it would be a side scroller. You could also do top-down, but that usually lends itself to less action, and we want lots of action. :)
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Agreed.

Side scrolling platformer with a mouse for aiming is what me and Skyone have come up with.

Behold, the best concept art for a game ever made on a 600mhz machine using MSpaint! (Using while main computer reformats)

Because there are a few car chases in the game, it would be interesting to implement a spy-hunter type clone, attempting to escape from the enemy car/robot while dodging enemy traffic. I will get a basic concept up for this soon, hopefully.

Note that this does not reflect what the game would look like, just how the basic control mechanics will work. If anybody has any tweaks for them, please let us in on your idea. :wink:

Excellent