First Portablizing Project... NES Advantage Laptop

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_
First Portablizing Project... NES Advantage Laptop

Post by Zeturi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:21 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words. But hey, I don't own a camera right now. So, I took some pictures from google, opened them up in paint (don't own photoshop either), and explained myself. :)

By Zeturi

Yeah, prettymuch explains everything. I'm making a pre-model picture in paint as we speak... will add into post later. I don't think anyone's used this idea before, is so, apologies in advance.

EDIT:

Here's a quick drawing up of what I'm aiming for. Noticed while drawing, though, that I might want to paint it a bit, there's too much of the gray-cream color.

And, that idea about the drilling the joystick into the d-pad... excellent. :twisted: I would've never thought of that! Thanks for the suggestions!
Last edited by Zeturi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't think I've ever seen the advantage used in anything portable...this could be interesting :)

Instead of a giant d-pad for the joystick, you should create a folding or an easily removeable joystick so you can enjoy the pad with all its sticky glory!

EDIT: 200th post, w00t!
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

DSFARGEG

Post by DSFARGEG » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:03 pm

You could make it so that the joystick unscrews, and then make somewhere to store in inside the laptop when you're not using it.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I still prefer the d-pad, though... besides, there's not gonna be much room left when I get everything in there. Remember, motherboard, controller board, batteries...
One thought I have, though, is to make the d-pad and joystick interchangable... maybe.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 pm

No, wait! I have the perfect idea! Install the D-pad, like you want to, then drill and tap a hole in the center of it. Create a joystick that screws in to that hole. And viola! A joystick/d-pad. (Patent Pending) :wink:

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Mario wrote:No, wait! I have the perfect idea! Install the D-pad, like you want to, then drill and tap a hole in the center of it. Create a joystick that screws in to that hole. And viola! A joystick/d-pad. (Patent Pending) :wink:
Kind of like the original Sega Master System controller. :P

My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Mario wrote:No, wait! I have the perfect idea! Install the D-pad, like you want to, then drill and tap a hole in the center of it. Create a joystick that screws in to that hole. And viola! A joystick/d-pad. (Patent Pending) :wink:
You just described the original Master System's controller. Still a good idea, though.

EDIT: Damn you, hailrazer.

By the way, I'm really looking forward to this. Nice to see the advantage get some love.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 pm

That is a very clever Idea, although it might look a bit awkward with the ps1 screen. Maybe it would look fuller with a 7 inch DVD player screen.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:57 pm

themadhacker wrote:That is a very clever Idea, although it might look a bit awkward with the ps1 screen. Maybe it would look fuller with a 7 inch DVD player screen.
Yeah, I would, but I've only got a ps1 right now. Later on, though, I'd definitely swap it out for the 7 inch.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Wanna swap the psone for a 7" screen? I will swap, if you want.

I also have a nice 6".

Excellent

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm

palmertech wrote:Wanna swap the psone for a 7" screen? I will swap, if you want.

I also have a nice 6".
That's okay. I'm still a noob with hacking and whatnot, and the ps1 has the most documentation to help me out. Not to mention, I plan on just adding some bondo or epoxy putty to the ps1 screen to make the shape. (trying to stay away from cnc machines.) Thanks though.

Oh yeah, and I saw your N64 DS on youtube. Nice work! :)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:05 am

Good point on the documentation, will make it easier to fix if you fry it or something.

Thanks, glad people saw that. :D

Excellent

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:25 am

palmertech wrote:Good point on the documentation, will make it easier to fix if you fry it or something.

Thanks, glad people saw that. :D
I loved that mod. You should have made the start and select buttons blue and green, respectively. It would have matched the controller color scheme better. Still a sweet mod, though.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 am

Actually, they were green and blue. :D. If you want to comment on it, ressurect my old thread on it here (it was by first post). Let's not hijack this thread. :lol:

Excellent

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:27 pm

Okay, some idea revisions are at hand. I opened the NES Advantage, gutted out the motherboard, and proceded to melt out all the un-needed screw posts and other stuff with my soldering iron.
I removed the RF box from my NES board, and managed to file down the grounding on one side of the board. And I can just barely fit the board in width-wise. I tore a huge chunk of metal off the NES Advantage's bottom metal plate, and was able to screw the unit shut. After doing so, I realized the amount of room left in the casing was very limited.
The battery pack will almost certainly have to be a AAA pack or lithium-ion battery, and I will have to use the controller board from an original NES controller. I will still use the buttons from the Advantage, though, and try to make a big d-pad. But since I'm using an original NES controller, the awesome "slow" function is going to have to take a hike. And instead of having the original POWER/RESET buttons from the NES, I may have to use a power switch only.
Otherwise, I will start making new holes for the controller later tonight, and fill the old ones in with some of the plastic I melt out. Also, melting out a cartridge slot. Tonight will be just melting and sanding and filing.