Using 4GB of RAM in a 32bit OS?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune
Using 4GB of RAM in a 32bit OS?

Post by Jongamer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Ok I WAS gonna get an Extra 2GB of RAM, but then I heard that 32bit can only address so much RAM.

I am using 32-bit Windows Vista Business edition, on a 64-bit Phenom Processor, since I am using a 64bit Processor would it recognize my RAM under 32bit Vista?

I saw that there is a fix, but I heard of allot of problems from people where their system still didn't see all the RAM, to where the computer wouldn't even boot anymore.

If I indeed can't use 4GB of RAM under 32bit Vista, will my CD key for my copy of Vista work with the 64-bit version of Vista Business?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:25 pm

From what I've heard, 32 bit OSes only see between 3.25 and 3.5 GB of memory. No, the 64 bit CPU won't translate the memory addresses for the 32 bit OS.

I don't think your 32 bit Vista license will work for a 64 bit OS, and definitely won't work for a different version.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:33 pm

You'll need to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system, simple as that. It's simply not worth all the work and danger of memory map editing.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:44 pm

*sigh*

Oh Well, all the games I have tried under Vista 32-bit with only 2GB of RAM have run Flawlessly with no slowdown at all (Except for Crysis, and that was cause of my Graphics Card)
Skyone wrote:You'll need to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system, simple as that. It's simply not worth all the work and danger of memory map editing.
yeah, I am not paying anything to upgrade to 64bit, for an OS I already legally own.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Assuming that you actually bought the OS on a Retail DVD then go here and request a DVD for the 64 Bit Version:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1 ... fault.mspx

It might work with OEM Versions and PC Company Versions too, give it a try ;)

I think it costs like $10, so it's just for shipping and the cost of the Media I guess. Piracy is always an option too isn't it? :lol:

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Harshboy wrote:Assuming that you actually bought the OS on a Retail DVD then go here and request a DVD for the 64 Bit Version:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1 ... fault.mspx

It might work with OEM Versions and PC Company Versions too, give it a try ;)

I think it costs like $10, so it's just for shipping and the cost of the Media I guess. Piracy is always an option too isn't it? :lol:
Thanks for the link Harsh.
:)

I have have a Student copy of Vista Business, and I can't find my Key atm so I can't check.

But I decided that 2GB is just fine for me right now, cause I realized that my games run just fine on 2GB.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:01 am

You can use the /PAE switch in boot.ini to switch the processor to a bizarre but fast 36-bit mode, in which more than 4GB of ram can be addressed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Not many programs take advantage of it, but if you use the /3GB switch, I believe it will coincidentally make the kernel use the extra ram a bit more. You can also justify turning off your page file at that point.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:37 am

Yeah I saw that, I guess I can get some more RAM, doesn't cost much anyway.

Well if it doesn't work, I will have 3GB of RAM, and an Extra stick incase one goes bad.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 am

I'm using a 32bit linux right now because everything else decided to stop working or even installing on my PC from one day to another, but it's working quite nicely. Besides, 1 GB isn't really that much of a loss, because 3 is plenty.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:22 am

Bibin wrote:You can also justify turning off your page file at that point.
Im under XP with 2GB and its been off for a year :P. Runs like magic.

Have fun using vista

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:04 pm

timmeh87 wrote: Have fun using vista
Oh I will

I know you all are Function over Form, but I don't see the big deal with Vista, works just fine for me.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:46 pm

timmeh87 wrote:
Bibin wrote:You can also justify turning off your page file at that point.
Im under XP with 2GB and its been off for a year :P. Runs like magic.

Have fun using vista
I don't use vista, I'm not stupid. Mine is off too, but for some people doing very intensive graphical or audio (or both) work, 2GB is not enough for that.

Oh, you meant him.

No, you will not have fun using vista. I'm too tired to list off my personal reasons I have myself (uninfluenced from the experience from others; this is solely through installation on many systems as part of working in an IT department for school credit) experienced. You'll buy it, and keep telling yourself "It's not too bad, it wasn't a waste of money" until you snap and format & install XP again.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Well I didn't pay anything for, not a dime.

I Would never pay for an OS, no matter how good it is. (No I am not implying that Vista is THAT good.)

I will still probably Install XP 64bit to a Separate HDD, but Vista will be my main OS.

I would just Rather have a New OS on a new computer rather than an OS that has been around for 7 years.

You can't use DirectX10 with XP now can you? :wink:

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Name a real solid advantage that DX10 brings. Don't say performance; any gain on performance has been overshadowed by the rest of the OS.

Also, Xp 64 bit is almost as bad as Vista * bit. Use XP 32-bit on a separate partition if you are going to keep an extra OS at all.

XP has been around for seven years and is still in use because it's evolved into a fantastic system that isn't even close to being out of support by application developers.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 pm

My friend has a similar problem in Windows XP Professional 32-bit. He got 4GB of RAM, and only 2.75GB showed up within Windows. When he booted in Linux, it could see all 4GB. I guess it's his EVGA nForce motherboard or something. Regardless, his BIOS was able to see all 4GB.

The reason for this is really complicated, but the BIOS has to allocate memory locations for not on the RAM but also the video card RAM, etc. and it will run out of places in a 32-bit environment.

Do not resort to the /3GB boot option switch. You may have luck with /PAE, however.