Gamecube video mods+GC info

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Electric Rain wrote:Alright guys, I've got them. I measured the mA draw for each individual voltage in the Gamecube. For testing, I used SSBM, Soul Caliber II and Super Mario Sunshine. The difference between games was small... too small to keep separate records of. The following measurements are the lowest to highest ratings I saw at any given moment during measuring. This means that it never dipped below or went above the ratings I gave. Here they are:

Code: Select all

1.9V = 1800mA - 2300mA
3.3V =  700mA -  900mA
5.0V =  300mA -  400mA
 12V =    4mA -    5mA
The 1.9V line never went above 2100mA during gameplay, but raises to 2300mA during power up.

During testing, I found out that the 5V line is only used for the DVD spinner motor. It quickly dips to zero a few times when the laser is reading, and it is the only thing that is affected when the 5V line is disconnected. The 5V can be cut off as long as it's not trying to load from the disk. :wink:

I also confirmed that yes, the only thing the 12V line is used for is the audio. I accidentally shorted the 12V line to ground for about 15 seconds without knowing it, and it killed the audio (and only the audio). I'm pretty sure it just blew a fuse on the PSU, because I was able to feed the 12V line straight from the power switch/fan board after that and the audio was fine. The 12V line was measured without the fan being part of the circuit, for three reasons. One, the fan is feed directly from the power input, having nothing to do with the PSU (which is what I was measuring), two, the current draw is listed on the fan anyway, (It was 50mA, if it's that important. :wink: ) and three, I personally will probably be replacing it with a 5V fan on my GC laptop. Or maybe not, we'll see. The important thing is that the BOARD only takes 4-5mA. This means that only a very very small step-up regulator is needed to supply the 12V line. :)

I think that's all I've got for now, I hope this information is useful to you all. I've got to go clean up now, then I'm off to start designing my new power supply. :wink:
thanks rain :)
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:56 pm

GC INFO!!

I've opened up a platinum Gamecube, and it doesn't have a power regulator board! I don't know if this is for all of the platinums, but mine doesn't have one!

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:08 pm

Wow that makes it smaller. (probably)

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:28 pm

cowsgoquack101 wrote:GC INFO!!

I've opened up a platinum Gamecube, and it doesn't have a power regulator board! I don't know if this is for all of the platinums, but mine doesn't have one!
Is it the one without the Digital AV out?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:28 pm

pic? did you take everything out of the case?
i have also opened up a platinum but it did have a psu
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:53 pm

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Sweet!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Just a tip, I learned this through trial and error:

On the disk drive, there are two wires(Red and Brown) that power the moter to the mechanism that moves the laser, which is used to read the disks. When they pop off, you have to resolder them. If you test it, and the laser goes to the edge(of the disk) and doesnt read any disks, switch the red and brown wires that are connected to the moter. This fixed all my problems.

SS

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 pm

holy crap i just noticed this, on the power connector pinout diagram pic it says pin 1-11 and 12-22 meaning 1 1per row, there are 11 per row on the cube but THE DRAWING HAS 12 PINS! :lol: of course i cant trust it anymore, the ends i assume are accurate but the 9v pins i dont know anymore

w00tLOL

Post by w00tLOL » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 am

refering back to a much older post, it seems many people don't know that EU and AU PAL gamecubes have RGB in the multi plug, therefore can be RGB'd without modification, unless you need your sync signals for vga/hidef

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:i have also opened up a platinum but it did have a psu
Same here. It had the digital out.

SS

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Crap. I ripped apart my black cube for my portable. I should've used my platinum! :cry: :x :evil:

(I always have a 2nd system for home use of the ones I mod.)
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Is it possible to do on the second revision gamecube models? cuz i still want to use this one even if I can't do an rgb mod on it, the reason is because this one has a built in power regulator on the motherboard
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:14 pm

footinmouth wrote:Is it possible to do on the second revision gamecube models? cuz i still want to use this one even if I can't do an rgb mod on it, the reason is because this one has a built in power regulator on the motherboard
Just use a 12v battery and a composite screen and you will be fine!

Also; something else to note:

Ok, I have confired that all platinum gamecubes without the Digital av port lack a powerboard. I checked all of them at my local gamestop, and it is even possible to see if its not open! Just look in the back vents and there will be nothing where the powerboard should be. All the platinums with the digital av out have the powerboard.

SS

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Good. Now i needn't be upset. My platinum had a DA/V out
Cheers,
Basement_Modder