NES Questions.

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

boxerorange
NES Questions.

Post by boxerorange » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Alright. So my friend and I are making a NES, and because of space restrictions we need to move stuff around (no way!).

Here's the front of the board:

And the back...
ImageImage

On the back, is it possible to get rid of the edges that are silver (top and left)?

We'll also have to move the square box with the TV Connecting ports, how can we do this safely?

By the way, this is the first time I have really modded any console so I will probably need clarification on many terms, etc. that you will use.

Kazaryster

Post by Kazaryster » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:59 pm

buy the book it will make everything a whole lot easier

boxerorange

Post by boxerorange » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:44 pm

No, thanks. If I had wanted to buy the book, I already would have and would have my answer.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:46 pm

You can cut off the strips, just leave some of it along the edge, it's ground, it's linking all the grounds together.

You can get rid of the whole square box, the majority of it is for RF, can easily be bypassed and taken off the board. There's info on it somewhere around here...

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:48 pm

You can get rid of the RF box. That's the steel box with the one big capacitor, and 5 pins hanging on the board. There's plenty of information out there on the net and probably here on the forums about how to build a simple video amp and where to put it.

You can get rid of nearly all the silver, as that's just ground. Make sure however, that ground still exists nearly all the way around the board- there a few places where this is a little troublesome, but not too bad.

Unless you plan on hooking something up through the expansion port, I'd suggest removing it, to save some vertical space. But that's just me.

If you want to wait a few weeks, I'm redoing the NES board. I expect to have testing done sometime in January with a 4 layer PCB, which ought to dramatically save space (as well as eliminating a number of caps/resistors, and the lockout chip), and be a drop-in replacement for the board (C1 goes to C1, R4 goes to R4, etc). The downside of this, is that the boards will cost about $240 for a pack of 4. Alternatively, there are other options in smaller packages- Look around for clones, which have high compatibility in extremely small packages. This section, the NES section, is full of information about them.

boxerorange

Post by boxerorange » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Well, I was actually really hoping we could get it on eBay for the holidays, because I was hoping that somebody might find it perfect for that old school gamer in their family. (Do people Christmas shop on eBay?) Anyways, if I were to get rid of the RF Box, there would be another way to connect Red/White/Yellow A/V cords still, I hope? I will do some searching on the net.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 pm

People do, but after about December 15-18, forget it. People will usually assume after that point that they won't get it in time. Now is actually the prime time to be selling for the holidays.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:05 pm

boxerorange wrote:Well, I was actually really hoping we could get it on eBay for the holidays, because I was hoping that somebody might find it perfect for that old school gamer in their family. (Do people Christmas shop on eBay?) Anyways, if I were to get rid of the RF Box, there would be another way to connect Red/White/Yellow A/V cords still, I hope? I will do some searching on the net.
Indeed people shop on eBay for Christmas, but not too late.

Getting rid of the RF box, and having composite video is doable. it's actually pretty straight forward, and the info is here in the NES section of the forums. Please, do yourself a favor, and search it all over, absorb the knowledge contained within here (maybe bookmarking key threads, or taking notes on paper as you go), and you'll be better off in the long run.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:11 pm

are you using one of bens cases?

boxerorange

Post by boxerorange » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:14 pm

SonyPortableizer wrote:are you using one of bens cases?
No, it will be in a toaster! :D And we already have a catchy name for it.

We got one for cheap at Wal-Mart ($6.33!) after wanting to re-create the "Nintoaster".

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Oh, you're using Vomitsaw's idea? I think his sold for about $200.

My brother wants one, too. I don't know if I'll get his done before Christmas, though.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:41 pm

So now is the time to sell on ebay? One question then. I overclocked a GBC. How much do you think the average person (who can't mod stuff) would pay for it?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm

The last few unmodded GBCs I sold went for around $12-15. I'm not sure what a modded one would go for.

boxerorange

Post by boxerorange » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:55 pm

Two more questions.

1) Is it completely okay to remove the RF box? I am guessing that I would have to solder the A/V and Power cables back on somewhere else.

2) How do I go about removing the Expansion and Cartridge slots? We can't figure out how to safely remove them.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:03 pm

JUst remove the RF box. Look around. There is imfomation on what you need to re-solder onto the board. And just desolder the cart slot, and expansion port.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/