The Retro64 Worklog. NEWS: Finished! Got nice pics!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, the button looks fine but it is stuck in, so either the button is broken or the plastic that holds it. I'm not sure exactly how it's put together.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Neildo_64 wrote:Well, the button looks fine but it is stuck in, so either the button is broken or the plastic that holds it. I'm not sure exactly how it's put together.
Oh, okay. I'll buy it then. Work out details through PM.

EDIT: Does anybody know of some heatsinks no more than 4mm high? I don't care how wide they are, just as long as they fit on the N64 board.
Where can I buy thermal paste?

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Heatsinks from chipsets on old motherboards work well. They are 6mm and the smallest I know of. Have you searched around online? You could sand/grind the 6mm ones down to 4mm, but they would get a lot hotter. You can get thermal paste from radioshack or online electronics stores. Keep in mind it doesn't hold the heatsink, it just helps with heat dissipation, so you need a way to hold them there (hot glue = FAIL). A little super glue here and there on the edges works well.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:15 pm

The stock heat sinks can grooved to make them a solid material to air heat sink. But be ready to become best friends with your dremel.

Computer shops usually carry heap sink paste. Radio Shack also has it.

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:18 pm

The stock heatsinks are too thick, which is why I need new ones.

Something to add is that I am not using passive cooling, there will be a fan, too.

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:22 pm

@ Gordon1 - Did you ever finish your ZN-40 portable?
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:35 am

Mario wrote:Does anybody know of some heatsinks no more than 4mm high?
My time to offer help!

Have a look here

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:42 pm

bacteria wrote:
Mario wrote:Does anybody know of some heatsinks no more than 4mm high?
My time to offer help!

Have a look here
Perfect!

Is there a US version?

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Neildo_64 wrote:@ Gordon1 - Did you ever finish your ZN-40 portable?
No, it pissed me of to much, and I lost one of the end caps for the case. I might do something with it soon though.

@Mario; the stock sinks off of the cpu and gpu are slimmer than the ram heat sink. They are 4mm or thinner.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
Neildo_64 wrote:@ Gordon1 - Did you ever finish your ZN-40 portable?
No, it pissed me of to much, and I lost one of the end caps for the case. I might do something with it soon though.

@Mario; the stock sinks off of the cpu and gpu are slimmer than the ram heat sink. They are 4mm or thinner.
Interesting comment with the stock heat sinks, however, the thermal pad adds another millimeter, and the heat sinks need the extra piece of metal to stay adequately cool. The heat sinks bacteria linked me to have fins, so they only need the fan I am going to be using.

I live in the US, but I'm learning about the metric system because of this project. Pretty cool. 8)

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:54 pm

The battery measured 12v with no load. How much of a load would it need to bring it down to the 7.4v it was rated for?

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:20 pm

My N64 portable is being put off for now. My time, energy, and money are being dedicated to this. If you'd like to watch that thread, please do so. I also have a few questions occasionally, maybe you can help me out.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:13 pm

Major Update! Thrills and Chills! Total Drama!

:P

So, this project is back in business. The coffee table is a boring project. Waaay too much soldering to do. :roll: Plus, I need to still buy sheet wood and PC board. But, whatever.

Mmkay, huge update for you guys. I've found the case, screen, N64, and I bought various new tools. Also, I've found where I'm going to buy the Ti PTH08080 regulator. Yes, buy, it's easier than getting samples, and less dishonest, in my opinion.

First, the case. As you guys know, it was Christmas a few days ago. A relative got some kind of cologne that came in a plastic box. He didn't want the box, so he gave it to me, because he thought I could use it. Well, right away I realized it would be the perfect case for my N64p! So, here it is:

It is 1.5mm plastic, but very sturdy, and will be even stronger when I reinforce it the same way bacteria did on his N64/GBA portable. The case is as small as I want it, and no bigger. Here is my template I drew, laid on top of it.

This case has the perfect amount of space need for all the parts, and no more. The only problem with this case is that it's 1.75 inches thick. That is way more than I wanted. While that is thin, it's not thin enough to be the smallest! :twisted: So, I'll use my Dremel to grind it down, in due time. The case is in two halves, I will only be using the top half. After grinded down, I'll use a piece of perspex for the back. The "thinness" goal is 1.25 inches, or 2.75 centimeters.

The batteries and N64 fit PERFECTLY in it, with enough space for the other stuff.

Pretty crazy, huh? I really lucked out here! :D

Now, about the N64. I bought two of them from emeraldz, should be here in a week or two. Both are RGB moddable, because they have serial numbers starting with NS10 and NS11. These are 3rd revision U.S. boards.

I bought a PSone screen off eBay for $50.01. Funny story about it, too. I told my dad to bid on it up to $50. He didn't tell me, but he actually set the auto-bidder to $50.01. So, the day the auction ends, he calls me and tells me that I won the screen by a penny! Turns out, some other person bid $50, but got discouraged when he found he was still out-bid. If he would have bid $50.02, he would have won the screen! And if my dad hadn't bid $50.01, I wouldn't have won it. Just a pretty crazy story. :wink:. The screen should be here in a week or so.

Finally, I bought a couple tools to help with this project and will make this portable better than my last. I bought a 6" rough file, for faster removal of plastic, a 6-piece set of "hobby" files, and a high speed cutter bit for my Dremel, for proper cutting-out of the various shapes needed in this portable. The hobby set of files has a flat file, a square file, a triangular file, a round file, a semi-circle file, and a standard equaling file.

That's it! Here are some side notes:

Bacteria: I'll have to get some of those heat sinks you gave me the link to. They're perfect. But even though I'm in the U.S., is it still possible to buy them?

Neildo_64: Do you still have that controller? We never confirmed the transaction.

That's all for now! Expect semi-daily updates once most of my stuff gets here. I want to wait 'till I have all the stuff together before I start soldering anything. That way, I'll be able to get all the soldering done in an afternoon (no cart relocation), then making the case will probably take two weeks after that. Put it all in in a day or so, and WHAMO! N64 portable! At least, that's the plan. :wink:
Last edited by Mario on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:28 pm

nice luck!
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:34 pm

I've been watching Ebay like a hawk for a month, I got a PSone LCD for $46 shipped, and it comes with MK3.

$50.01 is a great deal too.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO