Dreamcast slim project.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy
Dreamcast slim project.

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Pretty much will be a DC in a PSOne case.

The case will need to be made a bit bigger, and probably thicker.

Anyway, I have it down to 1 1/2 inches thick rich now. I can probably get another 1/8th off of it too by trimming the legs from the gd-rom drive. And yes, the system still runs like this.

The controller port, which isn't pictures will go were the modem port and were the gdrom used to connect.

I'm going to get rid of the old connections on the back, and give it only an svideo and sound hookup. I'll be giving it a new PSU also.

Won't start on the case untill Christmas, as I can't buy a broken PS1 until then.

Mario

Re: Dreamcast slim project.

Post by Mario » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:Won't start on the case untill Christmas, as I can't buy a broken PS1 until then.
You just need the case, right? How much will you pay?

Nice progress, by the way. :)

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 am

Yeah, I only need the case. And not sure, what would be a reasonable price? I can't really buy one from your until Christmas, as I'm broke till then.

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Hey, once you're done putting the Dreamcast into the PSOne case, you can put the PSOne into the Dreamcast case.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

I don't mind selling you a PSone case for the cost of postage plus the PayPal currency converter fee, somewhere around $4-$5 or so (from the UK), payment via PayPal. Let me know if you are interested. I don't need it (from my current project).

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 pm

bacteria wrote:I don't mind selling you a PSone case for the cost of postage plus the PayPal currency converter fee, somewhere around $4-$5 or so (from the UK), payment via PayPal. Let me know if you are interested. I don't need it (from my current project).
I suppose It'd be better for you to sell it to him, because I haven't actually taken apart my PSone. :wink:

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 am

Whatever - the PSOne console case is on my desk doing nothing at the moment, no rush, if he wants it now or a month's time I am sure it will still be available if he wants it!

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:32 pm

I don't have paypal. I have to buy everything with money orders. =\

Also, thought of a cheap idea for the PSU, and it also saves space.

POWER BRICK!

I'm thinking a USB cord would be best. The PSU gives 3.3v, 5v, and 12v. So a USB cord has 4 lines, which leaves 1 line for the ground.

That will save space in the system itself, and be cheaper. I'm kinda cheap =P

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Money orders aren't any use to me as I am UK.

Could do a swap though - have you got any SNES games (NTSC fine) surplus? I have a lot of PAL ones and a couple of NTSC ones, if you have a title or two I don't have, we can just pay our own postage to each other and swap. If not, what else would you like to swap for?

Just a thought. PM me if you are interested...

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Or, you could be generous and send it for free. :wink:

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:07 pm

If I had any SNES games to give you, I'd hit you up on that offer, but I got rid of pretty much my whole stock of retro games, in favor of emulation, because of it being a space saver, when I have limited space in my room. I have a few Genesis games, not sure if you'd be interested in those.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Certainly Mario: Grandmasterjimmy - happy to send you them for free. Not the first time I have sent stuff to fellow modders here after all. Happy to do it if it means you can progress on your portable.

PM me your name and full address, inc zipcode and country and I will send you a PSone case top and bottom as a freebie. I can post it in 3-4 days time when I post some e-bay items out after my latest auction.

Anything else you need, that's light - like d-pad buttons, crosses, 4 of those 6mm tact switches with the caps on (red/black); whatever? Let me know, I might be able to help, depends on what I have spare.

:wink:

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Update - PM received, will post case free c. Wednesday next week, will take about a fortnight to arrive to you. :D

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks a bunch :)

The only annoying part of this project is soldering all the wires from the gd rom D:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:Thanks a bunch :)

The only annoying part of this project is soldering all the wires from the gd rom D:
Yea that is a pain.

Using 30 gauge insulated single strand wire makes it easier. :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance