Wii DVD Drive for Gamecube?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:30 pm

Dark-Aries wrote:Simple Answer: Probably not
Long answer has allready been explained...go pickup two cheap broken GCNs on Ebay..one with everything fine but it DRES..the other the DD works perfect..but the controller ports are smashed or something...you get a lot of spare parts..and a working GCN...perfect!
that in itself isn't the issue, I have plenty of Gamecubes, which was why I decided to make the GCN Laptop.

I'm just wondering about the Wii DVD Drive because it's thinner.
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

~+~Doki Doki Tari Desu-Ruby Tuts/Ideas
~+~SeeTheMasterPlay on deviantART - My deviantART

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Acronell wrote:
Dark-Aries wrote:Simple Answer: Probably not
Long answer has allready been explained...go pickup two cheap broken GCNs on Ebay..one with everything fine but it DRES..the other the DD works perfect..but the controller ports are smashed or something...you get a lot of spare parts..and a working GCN...perfect!
that in itself isn't the issue, I have plenty of Gamecubes, which was why I decided to make the GCN Laptop.

I'm just wondering about the Wii DVD Drive because it's thinner.
Well then if you listen to other people after already having been said it can't be done look at other GCN porabltes and you'lll find one that has the whole thing as slim as a regular psp...I think that should be good enough for everybody...

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 am

For everyone who says its not possible I should tell you that the data lines are the same and the drive code is compatible with the gamecube.

You can put a Wii DVD drive inside the Gamecube.
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:58 am

EnterTheHatrix wrote:For everyone who says its not possible I should tell you that the data lines are the same and the drive code is compatible with the gamecube.

has this ever been tried?

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:35 am

grossaffe wrote:
EnterTheHatrix wrote:For everyone who says its not possible I should tell you that the data lines are the same and the drive code is compatible with the gamecube.

Yes
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:26 am

EnterTheHatrix wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

Yes
Okay... source please... :?

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:37 am

Electric Rain wrote:
EnterTheHatrix wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

Yes
Okay... source please... :?
You're making the assumption the info is freely available. I've been working on this myself for the better part of 6 months for my portable gamecubes.

I'm not publishing the details for it since everyone will do it and I wont see any credit for my efforts.

Once its completely finished you can buy one if you like, or just build one yourself. You just need to be prepared to break a few DVD drives and gamecubes like I did.

Warp

Post by Warp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:25 am

since it's not proved it's impossible to say that someone done that
you can't ask for someone to pay for a work you can't show
I'm not publishing the details for it since everyone will do it and I wont see any credit for my efforts.
:roll: + :lol:

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:48 am

Warp wrote:since it's not proved it's impossible to say that someone done that
you can't ask for someone to pay for a work you can't show
:roll: + :lol:
Suit yourself. The reason I'm not publishing it is because nobody here is going to try figure it out for themselves but everyone is going to use it.

I'm willing to share photos but no details. At the end of the day someone asked if its possible, I said yes it is as a matter of fact. I don't have to prove crap. If they want it for themselves, they have to build it themselves, same as everyone else. Hey, at least I'm not the one saying its impossible like the rest of you before even trying.

Feel free to share your own findings amongst yourselves. I'm off again, you know where to find me...

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:32 am

Don't feel too bad about it, guys, Hatrix is just a douche, always has been. I'm surprised he's even shown up here after the schpiel he made about leaving...

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Don't feel too bad about it, guys, Hatrix is just a douche, always has been. I'm surprised he's even shown up here after the schpiel he made about leaving...
I actually came across this topic in google, but you're right, I am douche, and always have been. So is it any surprise I'm not sharing my details with you dicks?

Perhaps if someone asked me nicely I'd point them in the right direction and share with them how to make their own.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:22 am

If the drive code is compatible and the data lines are the same, don't you just have to make them fit? (Wire the appropriate drive lead to the Gamecube motherboard?)

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:50 pm

bicostp wrote:If the drive code is compatible and the data lines are the same, don't you just have to make them fit? (Wire the appropriate drive lead to the Gamecube motherboard?)
Cables dont fit dawg! :lol: Yeah, theoretically it should be possible, but the chances of it just being a plug and play are kinda small.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Electric Rain wrote:Why does everyone want the Gameboy Player in their GC portables? Don't you guys have either GBAs or DSes? After all, the GBA IS a portable device already... :lol: That's like building an SNES portable with a Super 8 built-in just to play Gameboy games on it! :lol: Wait... someone either did that or already made that joke on these forums a while ago... was it... cennar? :?

Anyway, for your original question... I don't think it's possible, or at least easy, but remember that the IDE/USB project can also work with ATAPI DVD drives... I'll try to get this working if I get enough people interested in it. :wink: Most of us just want to store the games on a hard drive or CF card, though.
bigger brighter all around better screen :D and if it will play gbo/c games it would be perfect

would someone plz explain Hatrix story :? I wish I would have joined at the begging of this forums so then I wouldn't always be lost on all of the inside jokes and old members
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Well here's the Gamecube Dvd pinout. Now just get the Wii pinout and connect the dots:

1 AISLR (audio bus)
2 5V
3 AISD (audio bus)
4 5V
5 AISCLK (audio bus)
6 5V
7 DIHSTRB
8 5V
9 DIERRB
10 Ground
11 DIBRK
12 DICOVER
13 DIDSTBR
14 DIRSTB
15 DIDIR
16 Ground
17 DID7
18 Ground
19 DID6
20 Ground
21 DID5
22 Ground
23 DID4
24 Ground
25 DID3
26 Ground
27 DID2
28 MONI
29 DID1
30 MONOUT
31 DID0
32 Ground
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance