The Retro64 Worklog. NEWS: Finished! Got nice pics!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Mario
The Retro64 Worklog. NEWS: Finished! Got nice pics!

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:37 am

About the News: I added some really beautiful pictures of my portable. Check it out here: link

From here to about page 4 is wireless controller-related stuff.
I saw these wireless transmiters and receievers, and it looks like it's be super-easy to mod an N64 controller to be wireless with these. There is a power line, ground, and a data line. Seems like you could hook it up like this:

Is it too easy? It sure seems like it. Will this idea work? The only problem I can see it that a transmitter and receiver together would be about $60.
Last edited by Mario on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 27 times in total.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:44 am

hmmm, looks interesting, and yeah it looks like it would work! :D you could be the first person with a wireless n64 controller! other than those really cheap ones.
Here is another topic about the wireless n64 controller. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... &view=next
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:57 pm

33 views and only 1 comment? Can't anybody confirm this idea?

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:00 pm

It looks like it'll work.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 pm

I found the exact same ones, except these aren't already soldered to a board. Guess how much they cost? $21. 33% of the original cost, or 1/3rd. All of a sudden this project became much more affordable. :D
Now the only question is which band to get. There are 434, 418, and 315 MHz models. Which would least interfere with an N64 or PS1 screen?

collinE

Post by collinE » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:26 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, Mario, but I'd like to know if you can transmit a video signal. Then we could finally see some more VWIs. Ya feel me?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:30 pm

collinE wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, Mario, but I'd like to know if you can transmit a video signal. Then we could finally see some more VWIs. Ya feel me?
Now THAT sounds like a cool idea. I'm quite sure it easily could, I'll order a pair and try various things.

These look like fun to play with. I'll post my findings in a week or two. :)

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:10 pm

collinE wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, Mario, but I'd like to know if you can transmit a video signal. Then we could finally see some more VWIs. Ya feel me?
isn't that what Techknot did with his xbox360?

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:19 pm

grossaffe wrote:
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he used something different. These only transmit one signal at a time, so you's need one for video, one for L audio, and one for R audio.

But yes, he used WVI. (Wireless Visual Interface)

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:10 pm

Technott used stuff like baby monitors for his audio, I'm assuming something similar for the video. It's in the thread.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:11 pm

Mario wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he used something different. These only transmit one signal at a time, so you's need one for video, one for L audio, and one for R audio.

But yes, he used WVI. (Wireless Visual Interface)
well, yeah, I know he didn't use that device, but I was really just pointing out that a wireless video interface isn't unexplored territory for the Ben Heck community.

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Okay, problem.

I tried running the n64 controller off batteries and connecting ONLY the middle data pin to the console. No good. Hooked up ground, and it worked fine. What should I do? Is it possible to get the controller data to the console with only ONE pin? If not, then this wireless project is toast. :(

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm

Not without more electronics. Could you use 2 operating on different frequencies?
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Neildo_64 wrote:Not without more electronics. Could you use 2 operating on different frequencies?
More electronics? Do tell.

Too late, I already ordered some. Besides, I don't think that would work, because the data line on the receiver would have to be connected to ground. That would cause problems.

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:40 pm

I wouldn't know exactly what. Actually, thinking about it, I really wouldn't even know how to do that or if could even work.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable