Myspace and facebook

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:46 pm

Hm well I mean, Obviously I have the cell numbers of all the people I know.

Anyways, from my perspective I know a lot of people who complain how old friends they dont care about anymore keep trying to add them and stuff.

Also, potential employers sometimes search these things to see what comes up. I already have pictures of me doing... illegal acts that have popped up on myspace pages and the like, I can only imagine it would get exponentially worse if I actually had a profile that people could tag to the image. I have a strict "NO TAGGING" policy at parties but the fools you find there dont always get the message.

There are several highly publicized cases of people getting into major crap for pictures that appeared on myfacespace.

Anyways those are my arguments against it. Im not trying to change anyones mind but ill never get one.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:53 pm

timmeh87 wrote:Hm well I mean, Obviously I have the cell numbers of all the people I know.

Anyways, from my perspective I know a lot of people who complain how old friends they dont care about anymore keep trying to add them and stuff.

Also, potential employers sometimes search these things to see what comes up. I already have pictures of me doing... illegal acts that have popped up on myspace pages and the like, I can only imagine it would get exponentially worse if I actually had a profile that people could tag to the image. I have a strict "NO TAGGING" policy at parties but the fools you find there dont always get the message.

There are several highly publicized cases of people getting into major crap for pictures that appeared on myfacespace.

Anyways those are my arguments against it. Im not trying to change anyones mind but ill never get one.
or you could just not do those illegal activities... :roll:
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:58 pm

lovablechevy wrote:
timmeh87 wrote:Hm well I mean, Obviously I have the cell numbers of all the people I know.

or you could just not do those illegal activities... :roll:
They don't have to be illegal, I got roasted by some teachers for videos of me doing stupid crap on youtube.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:19 pm

A fraternity brother from college got in trouble and almost lost his job as an RA in the dorms because there was a picture of him holding a red cup. Someone (possibly from a different fraternity) sent the picture to the school and they assumed that there was beer in the cup.

Luckily we took good minutes at our meeting and the frater was mentioned specifically as a designated driver, so he kept his job. But yeah, those facebook pictures can come back and bite you. (My facebook profile is me holding a Martini, but whatever.) I won't give a direct link, but look up Blaney at Hofstra University and you should find me (Ken).

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Which makes sense because last time I checked, it's perfectly legal to drink...

No offence, but your worrying way too much...

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:09 pm

It dosen't even matter if its legal or not, Its about what other people think of you.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid= ... 5&from=rss

This woman lost her degree, and the cup was not even red.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:Which makes sense because last time I checked, it's perfectly legal to drink...

I'm not worried at all, I am just saying that weird stuff happens with facebook. As long as you are an honest person then most of this stuff can become water under the bridge. That being said, you shouldn't make yourself look like a drug dealer on facebook if you don't want to be mistaken for a drug dealer.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:39 am

Chapel wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:Which makes sense because last time I checked, it's perfectly legal to drink...

I'm not worried at all, I am just saying that weird stuff happens with facebook. As long as you are an honest person then most of this stuff can become water under the bridge. That being said, you shouldn't make yourself look like a drug dealer on facebook if you don't want to be mistaken for a drug dealer.
I read about people posting pictures of them drinking, in the case of a drug dealer though, yeah.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 am

Also: i finially caved in and got a BookFace

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1374894695

I Only got one to pinch photos of Outings and pun crawls and what not off my mates seeing as no one can be arsed to send me them and no one puts them on myspace anymore.

Im not exactly bothered about employers finding drunken photos, if anything it'll let them know what they're in for :lol:

Luckily my current boss has no problem with turning up to work hungover, or with a big mohican. :lol:

minkster

Post by minkster » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 am

Eh, I got one. I don't post illegal pictures..just really lame ones from HS proms and whatnot :P

http://www.myspace.com/minkster500
Minktendo-Dead
Next portable: who knows ;)

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:33 am

www.myspace.com/lukearm123

mines not even private because i dont really give a crap.
i think myspace is awesome!
you guys should add meeeeee =D

jackfb13

Post by jackfb13 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 pm

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?ref=searc ... %20blalock
im the first one one the page. im Chatam highschool class of '11. Does ben have a face book?

Shoot me an invite!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 am

To be honest, I think (potinetal) employers have no business checking an employees myspace page.. especially making a judgement based off it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:59 am

Do potential employers also have no right to do a standard background check on you?

Employers want to know what they're getting, so they do this kind of research. If there's one thing they hate, it's when the perfect candidate comes along, gets hired, and turns out to have acted on the interview and is a lazy bum (or worse). Your aptitude in the field you're applying for is only a third of what they look for on job interviews. (The other 2/3 are your personality, which they can get a good picture of based on your social networking accounts, and interpersonal skills, which they can also see online to some extent.) Believe me, I'm currently job hunting. They look at this stuff.

Besides, if we (your peers) can go on there and look at your profile, why can't potential employers? They see the same Internet we do.

Generations before all do stupid things. It's this generation that first had the means to put their stupidity on a bulletin board for the whole world to see, and the first that's dumb enough to do so.

Sounds to me like someone has something to hide... :P

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:16 am

It does benifit the employer to look, but whether they "should" or not im still not convinced.

As far as im concerned what you do outside of work is nobody's business, esspecially theirs, unless of course it affects your working life, and theres no way of telling that.