A couple of questions (atari 2600 jr.)

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

NixonTech2071
A couple of questions (atari 2600 jr.)

Post by NixonTech2071 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:43 am

I took apart my 2600 junior to fix a loose power switch problem. (contact issues) And hilariously, I stuffed some thin white cottony stuff inside the switch to add pressure, and while at it, I saw some really strange components in there, I found a large blue capacitor of a type that I dont know of. I also came across a strange silver tab thats next to the shielding, it has a little slit that looks as if you could put a Flathead screwdriver in. Can anyone explain those please? I will also like to see the pinouts for a component cable mod.
I cant hack yet... But I can help with "LazyMods"!!!

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:10 am

We need some pictures to figure out what you're talking about.

NixonTech2071

Post by NixonTech2071 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am

APHawkes wrote:We need some pictures to figure out what you're talking about.
Well... I need pinouts for AV cables...

Killer_Rabbit

Post by Killer_Rabbit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:01 pm

Well....we still can't help you with the other issues you're having if you don't give us pictures.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:23 pm

/raises hand

The Large blue capacitor is just a standard Axial electrolytic capacitor. I filters the input +9VDC to smooth out the ripples. Back then Wall adapters where efficient and dirty so the large capacitor would clean it up.

I am guessing the little metal thing with a screwdriver slot is right by this capacitor? If it is it is the tint control for the TIA chip.

I know my way around Ataris :wink:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Rekarp wrote:/raises hand

The Large blue capacitor is just a standard Axial electrolytic capacitor. I filters the input +9VDC to smooth out the ripples. Back then Wall adapters where efficient and dirty so the large capacitor would clean it up.

I am guessing the little metal thing with a screwdriver slot is right by this capacitor? If it is it is the tint control for the TIA chip.

I know my way around Ataris :wink:
You sir are a genious... but I have been drinking so that doesn't say too much...

I haven't poked around inside an Atari before but it definitely makes sense,

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 pm

WhatULive4 wrote: You sir are a genious... but I have been drinking so that doesn't say too much...

I haven't poked around inside an Atari before but it definitely makes sense,
Thanks

I've been drinkin to.

/cheers 8)
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 am

How to get composite video from your 2600 Jr.
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=1154

Unfortunately it's the older mod, as the new mod's instructions are only for the big 4-switch 2600s. You'd have to reverse-engineer it to find other places to attach the mod to (I don't think Atari changed the schematics much over the 2600's run), but it's certainly possible.

If you don't want to do that, don't worry about it. The old mod works just fine, especially considering its relative simplicity compared to others. You just won't be able to use a PSone screen, or run it on some TVs. (I did it to a light 6-switch with a dead RF modulator, and it won't run on our 27" JVC TV. However, it runs through the VCR fine, and works on the other TVs and the DVD recorder just fine.) Its only other drawback is that you'll get some slight interference on the screen when some sounds play. It's there, but most of the time you have to go out of your way to notice it.

Here's the new mod:
http://benheck.com/book/support/Atari2600VidMod.htm

NixonTech2071

Post by NixonTech2071 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:54 am

bicostp wrote:How to get composite video from your 2600 Jr.
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=1154

Unfortunately it's the older mod, as the new mod's instructions are only for the big 4-switch 2600s. You'd have to reverse-engineer it to find other places to attach the mod to (I don't think Atari changed the schematics much over the 2600's run), but it's certainly possible.

If you don't want to do that, don't worry about it. The old mod works just fine, especially considering its relative simplicity compared to others. You just won't be able to use a PSone screen, or run it on some TVs. (I did it to a light 6-switch with a dead RF modulator, and it won't run on our 27" JVC TV. However, it runs through the VCR fine, and works on the other TVs and the DVD recorder just fine.) Its only other drawback is that you'll get some slight interference on the screen when some sounds play. It's there, but most of the time you have to go out of your way to notice it.

Here's the new mod:
http://benheck.com/book/support/Atari2600VidMod.htm
Thanks for your help guys, I was at a WTH moment with that Blue Capacitor...