NEs Controller to Rs232 port/USB

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Dark-Aries
NEs Controller to Rs232 port/USB

Post by Dark-Aries » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Ok, I'm making an NESPC, but the mobo that I'm going to use (which is very good compared to everything else that is under 250 bucks) has no parallel ports. I was looking at the retroub kits so you need no mods to your controllers, but 22 bucks is a lot! Is there anyway to hookup the controller ports to a com rs232 port instead of a parallel port? I need help on this ASAP so I can continue trying to make my NESPC...thanks.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:03 pm

I imagine its possible, but I haven't heard of it being done before. rs232 is 9 pins, right? about 5 or 6 of them would go towards powering the controller, and then you'd need one for clock, latch, ground, and data. It looks like there MAY be just enough pins to theoretically build it, but then you'd need a driver that would be able to handle the controller.

edit: and if you wish to do it for USB, you'll either have to buy a board that's already completed or buy a USB programmer.

for USB: http://www.raphnetshop.com/products/nes2usb/

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:04 pm

If it still has RS-232 ports, it may have a parallel port header somewhere. Check your manual.

Is this a Mini-ITX, embedded or Micro-ATX board?

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:59 pm

It's a mini Itx board..I'll give some links to it right now...

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/j7f5m2g_vhe

and

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... 20Computer

They don't say anything about parallel and I don't seee any headers for it on the pictures...I haven't bought a mobo for the NESPc because of this reason, I can't figure out a way to have a decent computer but still plug in the controllers with a good but very cheap method....

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:33 pm

RS232, not a chance. Just because a serial port has 9 pins doesn't mean they can all be used for data. You basically have one input and one output with serial, so you'd have to do a good deal of work on the hardware end to even get signals to the computer, not to mention you'd have to write drivers for it. Plus, I don't know of any software that takes input from the serial port for "controller" purposes.

The way I see it, you have three options:

1: Get a USB to parallel port adapter (Easy, cheap, possibly bulky)
2: Build this (Harder, more expensive, far more compact)
3. Wire the buttons in the NES controllers directly to a hacked keyboard (Easy but time consuming, very cheap, even bulkier than option 1, requires permanent modification of the actual controllers)

I would go with number 2, since I like building as much stuff as I can from scratch. But, if that's too hard, try option 1. Here, try this. It's pretty cheap, but I don't know how easily you'll be able to "take apart" the adapter to slim it down.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Electric Rain wrote:RS232, not a chance. Just because a serial port has 9 pins doesn't mean they can all be used for data. You basically have one input and one output with serial, so you'd have to do a good deal of work on the hardware end to even get signals to the computer, not to mention you'd have to write drivers for it. Plus, I don't know of any software that takes input from the serial port for "controller" purposes.

3. Wire the buttons in the NES controllers directly to a hacked keyboard (Easy but time consuming, very cheap, even bulkier than option 1, requires permanent modification of the actual controllers)

I would go with number 2, since I like building as much stuff as I can from scratch. But, if that's too hard, try option 1. Here, try this. It's pretty cheap, but I don't know how easily you'll be able to "take apart" the adapter to slim it down.
No, a USB to parallel port adapter will not work. It doesn't work the same as a real parallel port and will not work with SNES controller mods.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:39 pm

grossaffe wrote:
Electric Rain wrote:RS232, not a chance. Just because a serial port has 9 pins doesn't mean they can all be used for data. You basically have one input and one output with serial, so you'd have to do a good deal of work on the hardware end to even get signals to the computer, not to mention you'd have to write drivers for it. Plus, I don't know of any software that takes input from the serial port for "controller" purposes.

No, a USB to parallel port adapter will not work. It doesn't work the same as a real parallel port and will not work with SNES controller mods.
Uh... are you sure 'bout that? How can they ensure 100% backwards compatibility with all parallel printers if it doesn't basically just work like a parallel port emulator? :?

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Electric Rain wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

Uh... are you sure 'bout that? How can they ensure 100% backwards compatibility with all parallel printers if it doesn't basically just work like a parallel port emulator? :?
they can't, and as far as i know, not all parallel printers work with them. I wanted to do this for my laptop that doesn't have a parallel port. I actually emailed the creator of one of the drivers for an SNES controller mod and inquired about the possibility of getting it to work with a USB parallel port thing and he said that it just wasn't possible because of the way the thing worked and that i'd have to find a pcmcia parallel port if I wanted to get it wo work for my laptop.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Okay, method 2 it is, then! Image

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Electric Rain wrote:Okay, method 2 it is, then! Image
does method 2 involve a pre-programmed USB controller or one that needs to be programmed? because programmer thingies are expensive (like $80).

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:37 pm

*cough cough*

Both the programmer and the actual circuit can be built for... ah, I don't know how much, but it should be under $22. Don't let yourself be tempted to go the SMD route. It may be smaller, but the parts are more expensive, harder to solder, and you'll have to get a PCB made up. I'm working on a price list... give me a bit.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Electric Rain wrote:*cough cough*

Both the programmer and the actual circuit can be built for... ah, I don't know how much, but it should be under $22. Don't let yourself be tempted to go the SMD route. It may be smaller, but the parts are more expensive, harder to solder, and you'll have to get a PCB made up. I'm working on a price list... give me a bit.
hmm... i guess i never did consider building a programmer... damn it, i wish I thought of that before I went with the parallel version.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:12 pm

grossaffe wrote:

hmm... i guess i never did consider building a programmer... damn it, i wish I thought of that before I went with the parallel version.
:lol: The parallel version works fine for me... all three of my computers have parallel ports, and the parallel version is cheaper, so why not?

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:27 pm

Electric Rain wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

:lol: The parallel version works fine for me... all three of my computers have parallel ports, and the parallel version is cheaper, so why not?
Yeah, It works perfectly on my desktop, but my laptop doesn't have any parallel ports :(

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:59 pm

So I basically I need the convert them into USB controllers....But by the time I make my own programmer I can just buy a retro-USB kit...

Thanks anyways guys....

I wonder if theere are any PCI parallel cards...those would be good to have...:)

I know...I'm cheap...:(