User Charged With Felony For Using Fake Name On MySpace

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Hmm what about Artist and Writers using false names when publishing there work? Hacking the RL network!@!! :lol:
that's what real-life friends are for.
Aye Aye.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Sparkfist wrote:I think the reason Lifeisbetterwithketchup was nervous is that it's been common in the past for a very sound judgement on something to be twisted and changed to fit a different situation, just so they plentives could win the case. And as most people don't know crap about technology, and worse yet lawyers can manipulate laws, we have something to be concerned about even a little.
Bingo. Hit the nail on the head, Sparkfist. My thoughts exactly.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 pm

People often take things at face value, not realizing how severe the <i>precedences</i> set by the actions of people are. I've brought this philosophy up before, making up an extremely improbable yet still realistic scenario, and I remember someone responding with "oh, that would never happen."

If you allow someone to get prosecuted for falsifying their identity on the internet as a backdoor scheme to jail them for previous, unproven crimes, it sets the <i>precedence</i> that falsifying one's identity on the internet is a serious crime. It is not, in fact, that's one of the reasons that the internet is as big as it is, anonymity. When people look back on this, they won't see a malicious impersonator getting her just desserts, they'll see a kid getting convicted for using a fake name on a kid-oriented web site, and that is what they will base their opinion off of.

When you let someone go without penalty for a crime, it sets the precedence that crime is okay. But when you prosecute people for unjust crimes, you set the precedence that the difference between right and wrong has been blurred, or that it simply isn't considered.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:07 am

I think the case here is..

She pretended to be someone and drove a girl to suicide, not to mention violated the terms and conditions on MySpace. To be honest, it SHOULD be illegal to pretend or use the likeness of anyone else other than yourself on the internet in any places imo.