Crazy Idea...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

MasterPrime
Crazy Idea...

Post by MasterPrime » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:05 pm

The thing is, I still play my consoles. I've still got a working NES, Sega, SNES, N64, PSX, and PS2 (barely). I love 'em all. Unfortunately it's cluttered and annoying having so many discs/cartridges, controllers, wires, and consoles all over the place. At my current place I've only got the N64 and PS2 operational. I let my nephews borrow the older consoles for their entertainment.

I have a question that I'm not sure is feasible.
Instead of a multi-platform or even single handheld, would a digital representation
1) be legal
2) be feasible

TL;DR - would I need to code and design a whole bunch of software/hardware or can I use existing software and console hardware to do it legally?

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:18 pm

Are you talking about emulators?
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:34 am

lol, 'tl;dr' dosent work if you have to go back and read everything to figure it out

Anyways yeah you can emulate everything from n64 and psx downwards, all on one computer or xbox. Ps2 not so much.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:43 am

However emulation isn't what this site is about, and anyway, emulators rarely are 100%; you get sound skipping, frame-rate issues, graphical glitches, etc.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:54 am

Neildo_64 wrote:Are you talking about emulators?
kinda. I want to take my N64 with me without having to carry lots of cartridges.

Assume that I have an N64 that I ripped apart and made portable. Instead of using one cartridge per game I'd like to be able to fit them all inside one but read multiple or at the very least use an SD card that's a clone of the cartridge.

does this make sense?

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:32 pm

You want what's referred to as a "Flash Cart". It's usually got its own memory built in, especially for older systems. As far as I know, Neoteam (neoflash.com) is the only company which produces one for n64, but I have seen plans online somewhere for a DIY one... that was a long time ago, though.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:23 am

totokan wrote:You want what's referred to as a "Flash Cart". It's usually got its own memory built in, especially for older systems. As far as I know, Neoteam (neoflash.com) is the only company which produces one for n64, but I have seen plans online somewhere for a DIY one... that was a long time ago, though.
that is exactly what I was lookin for. did you see those DIY plans on here?

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:37 am

Someone here was making an N64 flashcart, Marshallh maybe? Either way, it wasn't finished.

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 am

Sorry, I don't remember where I saw them... Google helped, though
Marshallh's project (mentioned above, I think)
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?p=245682
Neoflash's forum topic on their device (Neoteam is unreliable at best, hardware release-wise and support duration-wise)
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php ... 217.0.html
ToToTek was making one at one point, as well.
Marshallh's own website, retroactive.be, has some information on the section entitled '64dev'.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Tototek is a one-man outfit and he can't afford to take the legal risk quite yet.

Neoflash Team cited "legal issues" as their excuse for not releasing theirs. Bull, they are selling pirate DS tools and not in trouble there?

It seems most of the stuff on my site is outdated now, the single-game flash cart was never built and would be limited to only 64mbit games anyway, I'm designing a CF-based cart emulator now but I've no idea when it will be working.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Keep us updated with any progress, marshallh!