japnese phones

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Bass Creator
japnese phones

Post by Bass Creator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:39 pm

920 sh its got tv touch and fingerprint reader 2 cameras works as a cerdit card Im planning on geting one when i go to japan this or next summer

its gonna be great
Reddit

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm going to Japan in the fall. Going to get a phone, but probably not something that crazy :P
First step right now is trying to find a way to get the garmin GPS maps working with my non-garmin device.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Why on earth do you need all that? Phones are for talking to people! :x *grumble grumble grumble*

Sorry, I just hate overhyped cell phones that are crammed with stupid bullcrap features that only drive the monthly bill up.* (Especially when people use them while driving, or in any public place for that matter, and tune out the world around them. And most of the time the conversation is completely pointless.)

I have a Nokia 2600 (technically the company's from Finland, not Japan, but whatever). It places and receives calls. That's all a phone has to do. (And it's only about $10 a month, perfect for someone like me who doesn't have it glued to their ear all day and night.)

* The exceptions to this rule are smartphones (Blackberry, Treo, iPhone, etc). At least they're useful for productive purposes, like PDAs.
Last edited by bicostp on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:31 pm

The iPhone is being released on Pay as you Go soon... I know what i'm getting =)

Bass Creator

Post by Bass Creator » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:12 pm

umm that phone is standred in japan there cheap bout 150 as all the other phones there

the iphone is crap
Reddit

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 pm

The Pay-as-You-Go iPhone is going to cost about $500.

Back on topic, do you really need all that in a phone? My phone was $10 and I recently bought a Dell Axim 30i for $100, they do every thing I need and it's still cheaper than your "japnese" phone. So Ha! :lol:

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:35 pm

lol iPhone

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:37 pm

My phone was free with a two-year contract. No camera, no music player, I got the net and texting disabled. Now, the contract's been up for over a year, I'm still using the same phone, same plan. It works fine for me. It's a freakin' phone. To call people and talk to them. Seriously, it's a lost art already.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 pm

My phone was $20 it costs me $10 a month. It does all I need it to do it makes calls and makes texts. I think the only reason someone should have a smartphone is if their in a business that needs a benefits from having a smart phone.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 pm

You people are pretty feisty in your opinions. So you don't like to text or do any of that stuff, okay, don't do it. But please, don't complain because other people <i>can</i>.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:49 pm

As of right now, I have the MDA by T-Moble which is unlocked and I use AT&T. I have this phone for one primary reason, the keyboard. I text and I find having a full QWERTY keyboard easier to type on.

As for Japanese phones, there is only one I want. It's the Limited Edition Char's Zaku phone. The charging base is in the shape of the Zaku's head, and while the phone is docked it displays a red eye that scans left and right. Very cool.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

grahf

Post by grahf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:55 am

For those wanting to buy a phone in Japan, keep in mind that most of them will not work in the US. GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) is not really used here by any major carrier, so the number of phones that support it are few. Those phones are generally made for Japanese customers who want to roam over-seas for vacation/business.
Ok, so if you do buy a GSM capable phone (The 920sh IS), your option is to buy a special sim card overlay that fools the phone into thinking its still on a Japanese network in the US. True "unlocking" is impossible to find.

A final thing is that most of the options that make these phones great will NOT work outside of Japan. Most phones here have 1Seg digital TV tuners. Unfortunately this is not compatible with us TV signals. Next, phones here do NOT use SMS. Instead, each phone has its own dedicated email address. These email functions work through the carrier, so they wont work outside of Japan. The "Digital Wallet" functions also will not work outside of Japan for the most part.

Not trying to piss on anyone's dreams, but the unfortunate fact is you need to be in Japan to really benefit from all the features on these phones. It really sucks because the phones here are truly bad-ass. My personal phone for example, is a Sharp W52SH. It was free, and has the following options:
Digital TV tuner
FM radio
2 megapixel camera
QVGA video recorder
micro SD
Audio/video playback
HTML browser
Rotating display
etc/etc
http://k-tai.auone.jp/model/w52sh/special/
[/b]

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:29 am

grahf wrote:My personal phone for example, is a Sharp W52SH. It was free, and has the following options:
Digital TV tuner
FM radio
2 megapixel camera
QVGA video recorder
micro SD
Audio/video playback
HTML browser
Rotating display
etc/etc
http://k-tai.auone.jp/model/w52sh/special/
In America, A company like Verizon would sell that phone for like $300.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:03 am

Bass Creator wrote:the iphone is crap
It's really really not, I want a phone that looks good and does good features.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 am

soundwave wrote:You people are pretty feisty in your opinions. So you don't like to text or do any of that stuff, okay, don't do it. But please, don't complain because other people <i>can</i>.
I couldn't care less about their phones' features, it annoys me when babbling into their phones takes all of their attention, and they become a hazard to everyone around them. (Especially on the road; people can't drive as it is. Adding the distraction of a multifaceted toy can, and often does, turn lethal.) Driving, eating, wandering aimlessly around the store... Any activity that needs thought and concentration gets taken for granted and shoved to the back burner of their minds because their pointless conversation is apparently far more important.

The phones themselves aren't the problem. The cell zombies are. :P