The Master Boy - Sega master system portable

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sam_thornley
The Master Boy - Sega master system portable

Post by sam_thornley » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:52 am

I've been recently working on possibly the first ever hand built portable Sega Master System. Well its finished of course!

(Please note this is not my original post, it got corrupted when the forum was updated. I've had to re-write this so there may be some information missing)

The Master Boy! SMS Portable

Features:

-5" PSone Screen using RGB Video

-Uses a Master System 2 PCB

-Cart Slot (built in Alex Kidd Game)

-4600mAh 7.2v Ni-Mh Battery
Last edited by sam_thornley on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

atarihacker

Post by atarihacker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 am

nice job
I think you`re the first
how long does the battery last?

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:48 am

looks pretty good. very clean-cut, decent size. I like it.

MARIOPARTY555333

Post by MARIOPARTY555333 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am

Wow really nice, I like it!

But what about the seprate d-pad??
Im working on my portable snes
Are you working on a portable?

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:30 am

i was wondering if anyone was ever gonna do one of these! congrats on being the first! mad props to you!

it looks really good. nice and clean. very professional, just like all of your stuff.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 am

Nice.

Like it a lot.

grahf

Post by grahf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:02 am

This is not the fanciest portable ever, but I really like it. Mostly due to the fact that you were so meticulous with mounting the components, and the way you routed your wires.

Do you plan on changing the d-pad in the future? It might be hard to mold a traditional pad into the particle board, but perhaps you could recess an original controller flush with the case. It's been done before, and I think would look great on this portable.

Just my opinions.

sam_thornley

Post by sam_thornley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for all the comments! :D

grahf: I like to keep my designs plain and simple not too fancy. :P When i do all the wiring up on electronics or portables i like to keep everything neat and tidy. Because then its easier for me to diagnose any faults, without spending ages poking around with a mess of wires. :D The curent buttons are fine, but swaping them for the original controller seems a good idea that i might think about doing in future. Yes i have seen it done before on c_mon's snes portable.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 am

Yes, nice job, nicely finished. Neat.

I bought an SMS to put into my project in the next months at a car boot sale a few weeks back very cheaply (SMS, controls, power, 14 games, £10).

Interested to see a pinout for the RGB and audio if you have one please. Pinout link?

How did you work out which other components for the RF modulator were removable, out of interest?

You could mount a D-pad in there to replace the four buttons if you like, similar technique I used, however it might be too late in this project as you would need to put a thin layer of something on top to conceal the D-pad surround.

peedekk

Post by peedekk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Very nice! I've got a future plan for a SMS2 portable, althought with my slackness it could be a number of years before it's started! :-D
bacteria wrote:Interested to see a pinout for the RGB and audio if you have one please. Pinout link?
The one i've used for my SMS2's at home (although i'm only using the Component out part) is this one: http://www.mikeg2.freeserve.co.uk/masterful/rgb.html

Edit: I found a more reliable link for the sega master system video and audio out: http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/wiki/H ... ideoOutput also for those wondering im using the composite out, not component, that was a typo :-)
Last edited by peedekk on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Progress on portable SMS2 - 0%

c_mon

Re: The Master Boy - Sega master system portable

Post by c_mon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:42 am

I took the RGB and sync video signals directly from the output stage of the Sony CXA1145 video encoder. I did this because the chip contains its own video amp circuit. I also took a 5v line to the psone screen to switch it in to RGB mode. Sound is take from the audio out line where the RF modulator used to be.
Great portable. Really awesome. Where did you take 5v on the PSOne screen to enable RGB? Can you show it on a picture? I'm thinking of portablizing a SMS2 soon and need this info.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:45 am

Very nice. Clean looks, well put together, and its made out of wood (MDF meh but its still wood!). I like.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:05 am

bacteria wrote:Interested to see a pinout for the RGB and audio if you have one please. Pinout link?

How did you work out which other components for the RF modulator were removable, out of interest?
Please provide us the info which bacteria also asks. That would be really appreciated...

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:40 am

Those pinouts do not belong to SMS 2. The system only outputs r/f signal and doesn't have s-video output. Thanks for the info, though...