Work

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm

The sad repercussions of working a real job.

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 pm

I do PC repair/upgrades/blah blah and I'm EPA certified as a universal HVAC technician. There are 4 types of certs - 1, 2, 3, and universal (like having all three). I do heating and cooling and computer stuff. The computer thing is just on my own, people I know or who have heard of me from people I know, and the HVAc stuff is with my dad. I'm gonna be 20 this fall btw.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:35 pm

mothatrucka wrote:Technically, if you're under 16, they don't have to pay you minimum wage.
They don't have to pay you minimum wage anywhere, it's just a governmental guideline.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 pm

I work at the local Dairy Queen. It's about a twenty minute walk from my house. I've worked there for about 2 1/2 years (I'm 17). I get $8/hr ($10 if I get promoted) and free ice cream. 8)
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:18 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:I work at the local Dairy Queen. It's about a twenty minute walk from my house. I've worked there for about 2 1/2 years (I'm 17). I get $8/hr ($10 if I get promoted) and free ice cream. 8)
I want free ice cream. :(

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:21 pm

I used to work for a gas station, but it was a S*** hole and they fired me (they said because my grades were low, it was really because business was slow). but I wasn't even supposed to work there by law, and worked under minimum wage by doing basically slave labor (picking up cigarettes butts off the ground, picking up lunch for other employees, cleaning up puke/diarreah). I complained to this to my friends, so they went to the neighboring taco hell, and got a ton of sauce packets and ran over them in our parking lot...guess who cleaned that mess up.

I work for the local athletic club now. my dad's the manager. I clean and do janitorial work and that kind of stuff.
Last edited by ganonbanned on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm

I work at a local bar, unfortunately I am not a bartender. I'm hoping to get something with better pay and better hours this summer during or after my internship through Baker. I will say this, any form of menial labor will help you appreciates working a job that demands brain power.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Sparkfist wrote:any form of menial labor will help you appreciates working a job that demands brain power.
/thread

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Sparkfist wrote:I work at a local bar, unfortunately I am not a bartender. I'm hoping to get something with better pay and better hours this summer during or after my internship through Baker. I will say this, any form of menial labor will help you appreciates working a job that demands brain power.
worked for 9 months pushing carts... never again!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:24 pm

i worked at the meat department of a fareway grocery store, it was a well paying job and i worked with cool people but i hated it so i quit after having worked there 10 months, currently un/self employed

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Don't lie, John, you're just flat-out unemployed. :P

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:38 pm

I work for a government owned Insurance Agency doing IT support. Sort of a temp job until I finish my degree. Seems like a lot of people on this forum have IT jobs. I guess it helps to tinker :)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Don't lie, John, you're just flat-out unemployed.

Post by Triton » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm

basically yea, im too lazy and unmotivated/A.D.D. to actually do much of anything productive :?

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 am

jon open your game store lol

i work at the grocery store in produce department. sometimes it's awesome but other times it sucks. how I feel about my job usually changes on a daily basis

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:00 am

soundwave wrote:
Super Cameraman wrote:I was a worked at a summer day camp for a while, but I quit/was forced to quit maybe partially because I camped out for a Wii instead of going to work. But I made like 4 dollars an hour there. I'm not kidding. (I was 14.)

But now, I go to parties and Bar Mitzvahs and stuff, take pictures of people on a backdrop and put the picture on a magnet. It's a fun job, and I can get a lot of money for it. I've only done it twice, and one was for my sister, but I'm hoping to get more gigs during summer.
Connecticut's minimum wage is 7.65, you were doing something wrong. And where in CT do you reside?

I'm a painter, working for my father, been doing it part time, slowly more and more since around 7th grade, around 7-8 years.
Usually camps can get away with that because they provide room and board.

Right now, I'm a Quality Service Agent for Northwest Airlines at the Minneapolis airport. The pay sucks ($7.07/hour) but, with that aside, it's probably the best job I've ever had. I direct traffic in the lobby area (where people check in for flights) and bring kids from one flight to another if they aren't flying with their parents.

Airports are just really cool places, I absolutely love them. I even get to go to areas of the airport that few get to go to, especially as freely as me... like customs, I can now go there, as well as the areas where the plane sit... on the tarmac. Granted, my job doesn't have me do that, but I have the security clearance. I do get pretty close to the planes on my shuttle bus to the parking lot outside the airport, going through the tarmac. Think close as in your neighbor across the street, if not closer.

Best of all... free flights for me, discounts for companions! :D ... I flew to Wisconsin to see my girlfriend a couple weeks ago, then the next week went to Las Vegas with my dad and brother (dad and I were free, brother was $160RT). At the end of the month, I'll be taking my girlfriend to Honolulu... $300RT from Minneapolis for her, just try and beat that price :)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.