PS3 or 360

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Atlas wrote:Blu ray was also a factor that mattered a lot to me.
But isnt there a blu ray player add on for 360 coming out?
I wouldn't count on the 360 getting a Blu-ray drive add-on. That is all rumor and speculation at this point (kind of like MGS4 on 360). I honestly can't see MS bothering with Blu-ray until they bring out their next console in a few years.

So if Blu-ray is an important factor in your decision you may want to reconsider...

Zereo_XI

Post by Zereo_XI » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Here is how you should choose (from my point of you):

RPG, Fighter, Misc = PS3
FPS, Sports, Misc = Xbox360

But then again there is a couple of exeptions:

Resistance: Fall of Man, KillZone 2 (PS3)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Fable 2, Infinite Undiscovery (X360)
My portable thread:
Not stating any project again until I have a job.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:15 pm

For your audio question, are you trying to use the speakers that are built into the monitor? Unless they have an amplifier (they probably don't) that won't work. You're probably better off buying a decent set of 2.1 speakers and plugging it into that.

As far as consoles go, I prefer the 360.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 pm

I am using a regular set of speakers (5.1, not that that's relevant, or is it?)
Darn, you guys keep on offering valid arguments for each side.
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice.

JAY

Post by JAY » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:05 pm

I just bought the 80GB MGS4 bundle today. It's $499, but Wal-Mart is giving away $100 gift cards to anyone who buys a Blu-Ray Player--including PS3s. Although Wal-Mart was sold out of the bundle when I got there, I took the ad to Best Buy and they matched the deal, so I essentially paid $400 for the 80GB model, MGS4, and the dual-shock controller (or paid $500 for that bundle, GTAIV, and HDMI cables). The Wal-Mart offer is available through June 14th, so if you're remotely interested in buying a PS3, now is a pretty good time. Although, I wouldn't recommend getting the 40GB model (it's fairly gimped, and a new, better model is supposedly in the making), so perhaps you might be able take advantage of the deal even if Wal-Mart is sold out of the 80GB bundle, like I did.

For me, it's not a question of "if," but instead "when." I try to manage my spending in order to get the most out of what I spend, so buying a system at launch is the type of thing I avoid. If the $100 gift card wasn't available for the PS3, I would have passed on it. Likewise, I don't intend to buy an Xbox 360 until the Elite drops to $400. The games are essentially a non-issue, since each will have its share of exclusives that will warrant a purchase of the respective system. I'll even buy games for systems that I don't yet own when they drop to $20, since that's typically the lower limit before they are taken off of the shelves, and I don't want to wait so long that I lose my chance to buy it (and have to resort to getting used games that usually cost about the same).

If you plan on only buying one of the systems, then I can't (and don't really want to) offer support for one over the other, since I don't recommend that approach to gaming. Otherwise, pick the one that is most cost-feasible, since I'm sure you'll get a fair share of use out of both, regardless when you buy them.
Last edited by JAY on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:30 pm

I'm going to get a PS3. Well, because Spyro will be out for it this October.

Yay for Spyro! :lol:

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:56 am

I have neither, but I do plan on getting a PS3 when the price comes down, and that's what I would recommend. The XBOX 360 is all about deception: deception that Forza 2 is anywhere near what Gran Turismo 5 will be, deception that the XBOX 360 is cheaper when in fact it costs MORE than a PS3 once you get it similarly equipped and subscribe to XBOX LIVE, deception that it actually works (red ring of death, lol), etc. Microsoft is the last company I currently or ever wanted to do business with, every Microsoft program or product I've ever had has been full of bugs and only works when it wants to. A perfect example is this piece of crap Microsoft bluetooth mouse I'm using now that cuts out when it feels like and has to be switched off and on. In contrast, my Logitech wireless PS2 controller works flawlessly all the time. Why did I buy this mouse you ask? I didn't, my dad did, and I would've slapped it out of his hands if I was there because I know better. Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, it's all just one Red Ring of Death one way or another. Bill Gates is rich because he stole all his ideas from Apple and he couldn't even do that right, don't support that douche.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:19 am

how do you really feel about microsoft?

just kidding, i'm no fan of microsoft either (nor am I a fan of apple). they can both suck it. :wink:

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:09 am

Atlas wrote:I am using a regular set of speakers (5.1, not that that's relevant, or is it?)
Darn, you guys keep on offering valid arguments for each side.
Nope, those speakers should work fine with either console if you get the aforementioned RCA to stereo plug adapter.
17daysolderthannes wrote:I have neither, but I do plan on getting a PS3 when the price comes down, and that's what I would recommend. The XBOX 360 is all about deception: deception that Forza 2 is anywhere near what Gran Turismo 5 will be, deception that the XBOX 360 is cheaper when in fact it costs MORE than a PS3 once you get it similarly equipped and subscribe to XBOX LIVE, deception that it actually works (red ring of death, lol), etc. Microsoft is the last company I currently or ever wanted to do business with, every Microsoft program or product I've ever had has been full of bugs and only works when it wants to. A perfect example is this piece of crap Microsoft bluetooth mouse I'm using now that cuts out when it feels like and has to be switched off and on. In contrast, my Logitech wireless PS2 controller works flawlessly all the time. Why did I buy this mouse you ask? I didn't, my dad did, and I would've slapped it out of his hands if I was there because I know better. Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, it's all just one Red Ring of Death one way or another. Bill Gates is rich because he stole all his ideas from Apple and he couldn't even do that right, don't support that douche.
I could say the same thing about the PS3. It's all about deception. Deception that it has full backwards compatibility, deception that Resistance is better than Halo, deception that it has good online capabilities (I had a roommate that was constantly having problems with it, when my and two of my other roomate's 360s were fine), etc.

Now the thing is, most of these aren't necessarily true. Which game is better all depends on personal opinion and nothing more. As far as cost goes, I don't like the idea of bundling in the Xbox Live subscription with the cost of an Xbox. Live is a service that you pay for, and while it may add up over time, it gets you a better experience than you can with Sony's service (from what I've seen). As far as hardware, yes Microsoft had some problems with the earlier Xbox 360 models, this seems to have been resolved now though, since I haven't heard of many people getting the RROD in the past six months or so. And Microsoft at least admitted the issue and offered an extended warranty on them.

Personally I'm not a fan of Microsoft software either (hell, I'm a Mac user) but in my opinion they can make some pretty good hardware. Both of my primary Macs use Bluetooth Microsoft mice with no problems and I like them both. If you want to start badmouthing companies we could talk about Sony putting rootkits on their music CDs. No company is perfect so you might as well deal with it.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 am

Well yeah, I am a Microsoft..well I dont know I suppose you could say "fan boy".

Well it's already June 13th, and Im heading out to Cedar Point with a friend today. So unfortunately, I won't be able to take advantage of that great deal.
In the past, I've always got the Playstation. I had PSX and PS2 when I was younger and to tell you the truth I really never really had the chance to sit down with an Xbox or a 360 and to use the controller and see how I liked it, or the interface, or anything like that.

Maybe Ill head to gamestop and camp out for like an hour testing each one out :lol:
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 pm

I have heard a few people say that this is one of the most balanced generations, so no matter what you end up going with, you will be satisfied. Personally, I will want to get a PS3 eventually, but that may just be because I have a xBox 360 in pieces on my desk. :D

By the way, I knew that this forum was smarter than average. This thread is the proof. It didn't instantly become "M$ is ev1l." "PS3 graphics sux on my 5" TV." style debate. You guys rock.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:25 am

The red ring really isn't an issue if you actually take care of your consoles. I've had a 360 ever since the first month or two it's been out, kept it in an airy space, stored on it's side, and no issues thus far.

Like previously said, the 360 has better games out right now. And it will continue to get new games until the next generation comes out, but so will the Ps3, so games shouldn't be an issue. The 360 has much better live features, but at the cost of having to pay for it, Ps3's is free, but not as good, of course, with the 360 you have to buy the wireless adapter if you're not within distance. If you'll be playing a lot of live, go for the 360. Graphics wise, the Ps3 wins, but they're very close anyway, so it shouldn't be too big an issue either. Storage wise, the Ps3 wins, but at the same time, some of it's games you have to install something first (GTA4), so the storage use could actually be nearly the same in the end. As far as controllers go, I think we can all agree that the 360's is much better, the Ps3's does have that whole Sixaxis thing going on though. Not to forget the Blu-Ray's though, Ps3 wins there, as well as the increasing functionality of it and the Psp.

So to sum it up:

Xbox 360- Live features, games (now), better controller (preference though)
Ps3- Better graphics, higher storage, SIXAXIS, Blu-Ray playback, Psp functionality

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:59 pm

Consider this.

Its a long-standing misconception that the PS3 is a piece of junk, and it was on release, but now its a force to be reckoned with. I own a 360 and I love it, although I have a mere three games (counting GH2 and 3 as a single game, and the Viva Pinata spin-off as a Frisbee or coaster.), they're some of the most awesome games I've seen in the past few years (the other two being Assassin's Creed and Viva Pinata). But still, I have plans to buy a PS3 at some point in the coming year, MGS4 and FXIII being big factors for my desire.