siep by step guide

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

asdvj
siep by step guide

Post by asdvj » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 pm

is there a step by step guide on how to make a dream cast portable

if so can someone show it to me

(sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm new)

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am

No guide. Also, I wouldn't start off with a Dreamcast. The disk drive is huge, and you need to know the internals well to make a good portable.

I suggest a SNES or PS1.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Dkap01, if his site is back up he has a fairly good walk-through on how he made his. If it's not at least check the sticky at the top of the forum, it might have a lot of the info you need.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

DK

Post by DK » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:58 pm

@Jimmy
They're not too hard to mod. Only hard thing to work out was the 3 different voltages but a PicoPSU can easily sort that out.

@asdvj
I'd advise you to read through FamilyGuys thread as well. Just remember that the GD-Rom drive is a bit chunky and as yet you can't replace it with a thinner one.

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:24 pm

DK: I know they arn't that difficult to work with, I just didn't think it would be a good first portable. It's best to start with something easy I think.

[Offtopic]Also, I just had an odd idea.. A Dreamcast Mini D: Like a PS1 you know. Theres a lot of stuff you could trim inside the laser if you work hard enough ^_^. My idea no stealing :twisted: [/offtopic]

-=FamilyGuy=-

Post by -=FamilyGuy=- » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 pm

First here's Dkap01 site: http://customportables.com/dreamcast1.1.htm

Second here's my thread with a lot of info from me or helpers to make the working hardware: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=18283

I hope this will help you. From my experience I can tell you that as long as you don't cut traces on the mobo, it's pretty much unkillable, shorts, drops, nothing seems to damage the motherboard. However the gd-rom is big and kinda fragile. The hardest aprt of doing this is making the case IMO, I still didn't finish my own case btw.

@Grandmasterjimmy: There's a rev2 DC that the gd-rom pcb is incorporated into the mobo, so just the laser part sits on the mobo. Sega put it on raisers to fit the original case, but you could remove the raisers and get a pretty slim DC, with a custom case, 1.5 inch would be feasible.

FG

Grandmasterjimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks, I had no idea. I'll have to see if I can find a Revision 2 DC on ebay this summer.