What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:46 pm

I said it already. FIVE buttons!
Hey, sup?

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:44 pm

grossaffe wrote:
bicostp wrote:Let's see... If they follow their typical pattern, it will be like the Gamecube but less powerful. (Basically, a PSP.)

Think about it:

GBC = NES
GBA = SNES
DS = N64

We just have to predict what gimmick it will have.
Gimmick? all voice-controlled.

"fire, fire, fire, fire" :lol:
:lol:

It will likely be an updated DS, same functionality (possible inclusion of tilt sensitive, however I doubt it will be used very much), slightly better processor, maybe cut out the GBA backward compatibility.

I think the layout will likely be the same (as in button layout).

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:18 pm

And by stating that they couldn't "afford" to make a powerful console is stating that they lacked the funds to do so, and they clearly did not.
*Sigh* Upon returning from a weekend trip, I was faced with the decision of continuing an old argument or not. Normally I would not, but I just cannot stand for the lies and baseless assumptions being thrown around here- ok, so I only care because my understanding of basic financial and economical principles is being questioned.

Lets look at some numbers. Numbers are for the fiscal year starting March/June 2006 and ending March/June 2007.

Nintendo's anual revenue: ~4.5 Billion USD
Nintendo's anual profit: ~901 Million USD

So, Nintendo had about 900 Million to spare.

The Cell processor cost 400 Million dollars to develop, granted it will be used in other products, and two partners shared the cost 1 . The PS3 hardware cost Sony 1.97 Billion dollars in the 2006 fiscal year alone, and that doesn't include the initial research and development2 . The PS3 is expected to become profitable by the end of 2009. 3 But wait, there's more! Big expensive consoles equal big expensive mistakes! Of course everyone remembers the 1 Billion Dollar hit Microsoft took fixing all those red ringed 360's. 4

So, Nintendo would have survived through 2006 how?

Nintendo was out of its league in terms of financial backing. While they were not broke, they were in no condition to produce a high end console along the lines of the PS3 and 360, not when individual items in the console devisions of Sony and Microsoft were sinking more money than Nintendo's total yearly profits. Some individual items were equal to a substantial percentage of Nintendo's revenue.

I hate to break it to some of you, but Nintendo would have been forced to go the way of Sega- or worse, go out of business- years ago had it attempted to compete in terms of hardware.

That is all there is to say. There is nothing more...

CTFan: I was wrong to call you a fanboy, however I clearly knew what I was talking about, while you did not.

EDIT: God, it feels good to get that out of my system after three days.

OH! Another interesting tidbit. In 2005, while the Wii was in development, Nintendo's Research and Development budget was about 208 Million USD.
gameindustry.biz
Last edited by teraflop122 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:24 pm

Ultimate way to screw over sony and microsoft...especially microsoft.

Team up with apple and make an i-pod/DS/gameboy handheld...that would be completely awesome, plus, would sell millions.

someone might have answered it already, but I haven't read the whole thread.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:49 pm

It wouldnt screw up microsoft. M$ has already officially announced that they'll never make a hand held.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:32 pm

ganonbanned wrote:Team up with apple and make an i-pod/DS/gameboy handheld...that would be completely awesome, plus, would sell millions.
Nintendo doesn't even have a console that plays DVDs (forget the Panasonic Q), something that Sony and Microsoft's have had the last 2 generations. They won't make anything that can be used for more than playing games.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:17 am

ganonbanned wrote:Ultimate way to screw over sony and microsoft...especially microsoft.

Team up with apple and make an i-pod/DS/gameboy handheld...that would be completely awesome, plus, would sell millions.

someone might have answered it already, but I haven't read the whole thread.
ugh, we don't need apple to slap their name on a nintendo product and jack prices up for the same hardware.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:50 am

grossaffe wrote:ugh, we don't need apple to slap their name on a nintendo product and jack prices up for the same hardware.
Yeah, Nintendo can do that all by themselves! :P

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:31 am

Id like to see a more PSP style console. I remember ages ago Nintendo saying that the DS and Gameboy were two separate product lines. So im hoping the next one will be a Gameboy and not a DS 2.

Also

Wii just doesnt do it for me

Sure its slightly more original than a more powerful version of a previous thing, and is supposedly more "fun". I hate that phrase, "fun" is completely subjective, what is fun for one is not for another. I personally dont find the majority of wii games fun, however i do find a majority of 360 games fun (cant comment on PS3, i dont know anyone who owns one). I recently browsed a wii release shelf at a gamestore, and 90% of it did not make me want top buy one.

Up untill the wii ive been a lifelong nintendo player, SNES, N64, Gamecube i all had. Wii is the first one that i havent bought. The Gamecube annoyed me, and the wii turned me away. Even when i had a N64 i still wanted a PS1. I bought a Gamecube and had great fun with it. But eventually i wished id bought a PS2. PS2 had more "fun" games for me. I think i just dont like the typical kind of nintendo game anymore. Im more at home with GTA or Half life and Command and Conquer than Mario now.

OAtH_OS

Post by OAtH_OS » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:08 am

@teraflop122: dude, ur a fag
Last edited by OAtH_OS on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lika Pacman.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:13 am

teraflop122 wrote:Long-winded post
My argument has never been whether or not it was a smart economic move for Nintendo to go the way of the Wii or not. My argument is simply that, if given the opportunity to make an extremely powerful system, they damn well could have. Besides, you can't compare annual profit from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony on a straight basis. What does Microsoft make? Games, software, Windows, media players, etc. How about Sony? They, too, make games, but also consumer electronics of all shapes and sizes and their fair share of blockbuster movies and merchandise. And little 'ol Nintendo? Games. That's it. While the time you put into your rebuttal is impressive, you can't just whip out numbers and try to draw comparisons. You have to compare Nintendo's budget allocated to Wii development to Microsoft's 360 development budget to Sony's PS3 develompent budget. I must admit, I do not know what these numbers are, but I'm sure they're far more even than whipping out company profits for such diverse markets and comparing them all across the table.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 am

My argument has never been whether or not it was a smart economic move for Nintendo to go the way of the Wii or not.
EDIT: In my book, "making a console" means developing the hardware, marketing it, producing it, and selling it. If a company cannot afford any one of these things, than it could not have made the console. If you do not agree, than this whole argument was a waste of time.
While the time you put into your rebuttal is impressive
My response took about an hour to research and write. While it took longer than most of my posts, I'd hardly call it impressive.
Besides, you can't compare annual profit from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony on a straight basis
I've deleted those bits from my response. The rebuttal remains equally strong without them... or did you not read the entirity of my post?

I'll post the highlights one more time:
The Cell processor cost 400 Million dollars to develop, granted it will be used in other products, and two partners shared the cost. The PS3 hardware cost Sony 1.97 Billion dollars in the 2006 fiscal year alone, and that doesn't include the initial research and development. The PS3 is expected to become profitable by the end of 2009. Of course everyone remembers the 1 Billion Dollar hit Microsoft took fixing all those red ringed 360's.
EDIT:
I do not know what these numbers are, but I'm sure they're far more even
Look, not only did I find sources and data supporting my statements, I interpretted the data and applied it to the subject at hand. I demonstrated why Nintendo could not have supported such an endeavor. My turn is over. Unless you can prove me wrong with something more concrete than "I don't know the numbers but I'm sure they're even," than I'm done here.
Last edited by teraflop122 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 am

Extreme_Jesus wrote:Even when i had a N64 i still wanted a PS1. I bought a Gamecube and had great fun with it. But eventually i wished id bought a PS2. PS2 had more "fun" games for me. I think i just dont like the typical kind of nintendo game anymore. Im more at home with GTA or Half life and Command and Conquer than Mario now.

I know what you mean, man. N64's still one of my faves, but from there, Nintendo's not the same. I've owned my PS2 for a few years, and recently picked up a Game Cube just to complete the collection. Anything I have any desire to play on GC I already own the PS2 version of, so it hardly seems worth the inflated price for the GC version. There's nothing on the Wii I'd play that I can't get for another console, and even the GC library doesn't make it worth it.

That's actually what turned me off of the DS. I just see the things I liked about Nintendo fading away.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02 pm

mothatrucka wrote:
Extreme_Jesus wrote:Even when i had a N64 i still wanted a PS1. I bought a Gamecube and had great fun with it. But eventually i wished id bought a PS2. PS2 had more "fun" games for me. I think i just dont like the typical kind of nintendo game anymore. Im more at home with GTA or Half life and Command and Conquer than Mario now.

I know what you mean, man. N64's still one of my faves, but from there, Nintendo's not the same. I've owned my PS2 for a few years, and recently picked up a Game Cube just to complete the collection. Anything I have any desire to play on GC I already own the PS2 version of, so it hardly seems worth the inflated price for the GC version. There's nothing on the Wii I'd play that I can't get for another console, and even the GC library doesn't make it worth it.

That's actually what turned me off of the DS. I just see the things I liked about Nintendo fading away.
which begs the question "what did you like about nintendo?"

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Kyo wrote:which begs the question "what did you like about nintendo?"
I liked the fact that it had unique games of all kinds. I've got NES, SNES, N64, and Genisis, and yeah, there's some crossover, but for the most part the games I like are spread out over all the consoles. The GC has some unique stuff, but I'm not really into Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, or Mario. Any games on the GC I'm interested in are on the PS2 for about half the price when I shop used. I don't feel that Nintendo's current offerings are enough justification to invest in another console and accessories.

I also liked the simplicity of the controls. At best, I'm a mediocre gamer, and I struggle a lot with anything too complex. Even on the N64, I struggle with anything more than the thumbstick and a/b buttons. The GC was more challenge than enjoyment, and I know it's been addressed with the Wii, but the remote only takes you so far, and you're back on the GC or the retro pad or whatever.

As for the DS, I'm not interested in doing much other than gaming. I don't care much about homebrew or on-line use. I understand it's not compatible with the old square GB carts, and that's a good chunk of my game library. I don't like the idea of losing what I use and enjoy for gadgets and accessibility I'll never use.

Obviously, these are just my opinions, based on my taste in games and my ineptitude in actually gaming. I'm just not seeing any sense in spending money for features I'll never use on something I'm not impressed with.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.