What's going to be the new Nintendo handheld?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed May 28, 2008 8:02 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
bicostp wrote:I still don't get why "fun" and "advanced technology" are mutually exclusive.
Who advocated that? :?
Anyone who posts comments along the lines of:
"Who needs to impress your friends with graphics when the games are FUN"

It seems to be the Wii fanboy battle cry. :|

edit: Curse you page break. Curse you.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:10 pm

It seems to be the Wii fanboy battle cry.
Seconded.

Graphics aren't everything, but Wii gamers seem to think you can't have good graphics AND good gameplay.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm not being a fanboy; I'm merely a tad annoyed by the people surrounding me (in real life, not so much here) who bought PS3's to look "cool", then stopped playing them once they realized nobody was impressed.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 am

I bought a PS3 because I wanted next-gen, an issue with the Wii really is it being only slightly more powerful than an xbox tbh. I want a next-gen console, not a rehash with a fancy controller (which is hardly innovative and excellent).

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu May 29, 2008 3:47 pm

bicostp wrote:I still don't get why "fun" and "advanced technology" are mutually exclusive.
I don't get why they should be mutually inclusive.

Having both is great, but fun over technology any day.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 pm

This topic isn't even about the Next Gen (Current Gen, actually) home consoles... At all!

My only hope is that whatever portable system Nintendo comes out with next, it can still do homebrew. That's what's really great about the DS.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Thu May 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Nintendo's new gimmick: "It's a mouth based video game."
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu May 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Bic, I still don't think anyone sees fun and graphics as mutually exclusive at all. At least, I don't. People defend the Wii despite not being a powerhouse because Nintendo had the balls to try something new, and people ate it up. Despite what you and others may say, there are actually some games that came out of the waggly little Wiimote that are fun and can't be done in that way on any other console. Besides, as Galaxy showed us and The Conduit is showing us, the Wii's visuals, while not quite on the level of the 360, can be pushed to new extremes. Again, I'm speaking completely from a prospective standpoint. I own a Wii, a 360, and will get a PS3 the second the price goes down some more. I take each console for what it's worth, and to me, the Wii is worth something the others can't offer, just as the 360 is worth something exclusively, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, though, love it or hate it, the Wii is here to stay, and it'll continue to make a crapload of money, methinks! :P

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Thu May 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Some days I just wish I could go back in time and stop a lot of these advancements from happening but I really can't. Putting it plainly, graphics have ruined the gaming market, because it's not about the games anymore. Go back to the SNES or something, please! Why is it that the SNES has some of the best games ever made, and crappy current consoles get all the rage? Back then, it wasn't about who had the flashiest graphics, but about who could use what they had to make the best games. And developers that worked on SNES games did a great job with that.

You know, it all ties in to this "Gamer" market. If only, if only we could just get rid of this "Gamer" market. It's all casual, you know. It's like, that people say that the casual gamers are the kids on the wii's but that's total crap, the "gamer" people are all on their xbox's and ps3's and whatnot. Not I'm not discrediting the systems, but come on, somebody else has got to notice this stuff going on around them. That's really what annoys the heck out of me, is these new gamers that rant and rave about new games that suck that have amazing graphics. This kind of stupidity ruins the video game market, and I just hope and pray that someday the technological advances finally reach a halt as far as graphics go and finally the winning strategy to come out on top of the video game market will ONLY by about the games, and not about flashy ads, gimmicks, and graphics.

I think Nintendo has looked at that whole technological advancement thing, and said "here is where we draw the line". But a lot of hardcore nintendo fans are still left saying that this isin't going far enough. When the competition's got amazing PC like graphics, and Nintendo's lacking of such is causing loss in the competition, even Nintendo fans think that something's got to be done to keep up with the other companies standards.

I say, forget it all. I don't care about how everybody wants to say how they're "gamers" now. It annoys me but I can live with it. And I don't even care so much about how everybody else I know all owns their 360's and they're sucked in to all the fads like halo 3 and guitar hero. But what I'm most frustrated with, is that I'm sitting on a decent gaming PC playing TF2 and Counterstrike, not to mention a bunch of really good older games, with strangers, cause all the video game playing people I know are just too casual to really look at a game for it's gameplay rather than its graphics.

The SNES is the best console ever made, and the PC is the best thing to ever happen to gaming.

That's what I liked really. Like, the competition among hard core PC gamers to get the best hardware, and for the latest games. I actually like that competition, because for a while, PC games have been really good! And with the updates in graphics, games have only gotten better. But with this new "gamer" market, the competition is totally different. It's not competition between players and other players, (as in, who's got the cooler gaming rig, got the latest hit shooters) but now the competition has left the players hands, and is being fought by the rivaling companies over your cash.

I said too much, and it's totally not about the nintendo hand held, but when people keep bringing up the current status of video games, I just keep getting so frustrated with how things are going, that I have to say something.
Just some of my thoughts and ramblings,
-Bert.
(Oh, and Earthbound wins #1 on most wanted on virtual console, and Mother wins number 2. Eat that IGN, haters.)
Making XNA Games in C#.

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:55 pm

bioniclebert wrote:(A very wise post that gamecube6 agrees with, throwing in a positive comment on earthbound & mother)
+1

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Nintendo had the balls to try something new
I'm so sick of hearing this. Nintendo wasn't out to try something new. They couldn't afford to develope a competitive console, so they covered it up in nice, inexpensive gimmicks. They weren't visionaries, they were a company with limited resources.
Go back to the SNES or something, please!
The NES was all the rage at one point. When Sega released the Genesis, they touted its superior graphics and faster processor. Ads in gaming magazines of the time showed side by side comparisons of games released for both systems to demonstrate how much better the visuals looked. The Snes was designed to beat out the Gensis with superior visuals. The 32x improved the grpahical quality of the Genesis to the point where people called it "the Snes adapter for your Genesis."

I mean, really. Up until this generation, each consecutive generation has featured consoles significantly more powerful than the last.

Graphics were important then and they're important now.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 pm

teraflop122 wrote:
I'm so sick of hearing this. Nintendo wasn't out to try something new. They couldn't afford to develope a competitive console, so they covered it up in nice, inexpensive gimmicks. They weren't visionaries, they were a company with limited resources.
The Wiimote is not cheap.

It is not.

Wiimote and nunchuck is like what? $80 all told, and it doesn't even have a built in battery or anything.

Nintendo did set out to do something new, and they did, the console may be cheap(ish) but that's just for the sake of making non-gamers more likely to buy it.

Nintendo could have made a new Gamecube, but the first Gamecube didn't do so well, so they mixed it up a bit and are selling more than the PS3 and the 360.

Even if it was an act of desperation caused by lack of money to build a "powerful" console it worked, great.
Go back to the SNES or something, please!
The NES was all the rage at one point. When Sega released the Genesis, they touted its superior graphics and faster processor. Ads in gaming magazines of the time showed side by side comparisons of games released for both systems to demonstrate how much better the visuals looked. The Snes was designed to beat out the Gensis with superior visuals. The 32x improved the grpahical quality of the Genesis to the point where people called it "the Snes adapter for your Genesis."

I mean, really. Up until this generation, each consecutive generation has featured consoles significantly more powerful than the last.

Graphics were important then and they're important now.
This I agree with fully.

Even back as far as the Intellivision graphics were important, check this out:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm

teraflop122 wrote:
And I'm equally as sick about hearing that response, which is entirely grounded on economic assumption. Take a look at this. Go on, it won't bite. Now could you please point out to me the period at which Nintendo was at all in the tank, broke, breaking piggybanks, etc.? No, you can't, because they have yet to see a period like that in the history of their company. If Nintendo wanted to make a superpowered system, they most definitely had the money. If you look at the chart, they developed the N64, the most powerful console of its generation, during a time when its market share was lower than it was in '05 when they started development on the Revolution.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu May 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Bubbles wrote:The Wiimote is not cheap.

It is not.

Wiimote and nunchuck is like what? $80 all told, and it doesn't even have a built in battery or anything.
Who said that high prices mean that the product is not cheap (as in tech and cost to produce)? The PS3 controller is the same as a Wiimote and nunchuck except it has an extra analog instead of an IR sensor, more buttons, and a built-in rechargeable battery. Oh, and its $50.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I think that magazines and advertisements have a very large role on whether they can market a game. Let's say that there's a game for the Wii and a game for the 360. If the wii's is slightly better for gameplay than the 360's the 360's will get more coverage because it's easier to take a picture of graphics instead of gameplay.

But on the subject of handhelds, I really want something that's similar to the Gameboy Advace or PSP. The DS is great, but when a majority of the newer games need to have the touch screen or certain games always need it, it can get cumbersome if you want to just walk and play it. Otherwise you'll need to sit and doodle/slash/circle on the touch screen. I just think it's something that doesn't really need to be there (at least for me).