internal DS flash cart mod

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

myersn024
internal DS flash cart mod

Post by myersn024 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Does anyone know if there's enough room inside a DS lite case to do an internal flash cart mod. I've got an R4, and it works great....most of the time. The problem stems from poor connections, and doing an internal mod would eliminate that problem altogether.

I've never opened my DS, and I don't have one of those little tri-wing screwdrivers, so I'll have to rely on the expertise of those that have. I know that I could put it in the GBA slot, but I'd like to keep the GBA slot functional if I could.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 pm

If you could extend the DS case a bit I'm sure you could wire it up. I'd be a pain in the a** but It is possible. goof Idea too. You probably have to open up your DS and flash it. I think you have to cut this one wire in the battery slot. (Not sure)

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Thu May 01, 2008 6:17 am

GoldenfrankO wrote:If you could extend the DS case a bit I'm sure you could wire it up. I'd be a pain in the a** but It is possible. goof Idea too. You probably have to open up your DS and flash it. I think you have to cut this one wire in the battery slot. (Not sure)
He has no need to flash it, and even if you wanted to still have GBA functionality, you would need to add a switch to disable the R4, because the R4 automatically boots an will override the DS menu.

and flash doesnt require cutting a wire, it involves running the program from a Homebrew device called Flashme, and then shorting the SL1 contact points NEAR the battery (Accessible from Battery door)

The only benefits you really get from it if you have an R4 or any slot-1 device, is no health screen, thats about it.

But if you have a GBA flash cart, you can boot directly to that flash cart without a Passcard or any device that does the same thing, and it removes the RSA security check enabling you to do Wifime and increases download play compatibility with some flashcards.

Also adds protection against DStrojans, or DSbrickers (I wouldn't worry about these even if you don't have protection)

khaag

Post by khaag » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 am

You can boot a GBA game from the R4 menu.

The only problem I see with this is accsessing the R4 to get to the microSD card to add/remove data. What's the point of having a flash card inside your DS when you can't get to it to put anything on it? Surly you don't want to open the DS every time you want to get to the flash card!
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 am

khaag wrote:You can boot a GBA game from the R4 menu.
:oops: and I own an R4 too :P

I'm listening to music on it as I type this right now. (Im in school so thats why I'm not listening to it on the computer.

g2g teacher is being a female of the dog species :P

DK

Post by DK » Thu May 01, 2008 10:19 am

I'd advise you to have a On/Off switch for the R4DS so you can get to the original DS menu to re calibrate the touchsceen and use Pictochat :P

Couldn't you just buy another card though? Some of the newer ones are far superior than the R4DS as they support clean roms so you don't get problems with games like the new Final Fantasy game showing the "Moog Screen of Death".

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:09 pm

DK wrote:I'd advise you to have a On/Off switch for the R4DS so you can get to the original DS menu to re calibrate the touchsceen and use Pictochat :P

Couldn't you just buy another card though? Some of the newer ones are far superior than the R4DS as they support clean roms so you don't get problems with games like the new Final Fantasy game showing the "Moog Screen of Death".
There may be better cards out there, but the R4 supports clean ROMS, too. It plays all the ROMS that I've dumped from my games without any problems.

DK

Post by DK » Mon May 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Actually, the R4 has autopatching software built into it's firmware. You put the clean rom on your card, and the card patches it.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Mon May 05, 2008 3:36 pm

DK wrote:Actually, the R4 has autopatching software built into it's firmware. You put the clean rom on your card, and the card patches it.
Im not sure if it patches ROMs but I do know it patches Homebrew. Its called Auto DLDI patching, and a lot of Homebrew requires to be patched for diffrerent homebrew devices. Most if not all the latest Slot-1 devices all have 100% ROM support and support Auto DLDI patching.

I seriously thinking of ordering a DSTT (DS Top Toy) because it is just like the R4 but cheaper and supports microSDHC were as the R4 doesn't.