What compoents would you need to make some thing wireless?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

LoyalistRevolt
What compoents would you need to make some thing wireless?

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:26 pm

I wanted to try making a wifi Dreamcast controller..
Last edited by LoyalistRevolt on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:19 pm

You know that Wi-Fi does not mean Wireless? Wi-Fi == 802.11b/g/n/a.

To make a wireless dreamcast controller, you'd need to make a serial sending/recieving system, implementing a sort of quick handshake. I suggest RF or Infrared.

HBN

Post by HBN » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Bibin wrote:I suggest RF or Infrared.
Infrared has a short lag time. Not good for most gaming. RF would work, if you could shield it from any incoming interference. Which is hard, because theres a LOT of RF noise out there.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:57 am

Bibin wrote:You know that Wi-Fi does not mean Wireless? Wi-Fi == 802.11b/g/n/a.

To make a wireless dreamcast controller, you'd need to make a serial sending/recieving system, implementing a sort of quick handshake. I suggest RF or Infrared.
Thanks sorry for the mistake.....But how would the wiring work could it just send any signal I pleased?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:07 am

Some guy just showed up in the N64 section the other week and asked the same question. The discussion may be useful to you.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=23665

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Actually I need a little more help I want to be able to send the signal of the music from an Ipod to an intercom system so I could play music threw he speakers and control the Ipod in my pocket.

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:11 pm

I don't think it is really feasible. I'm sure there is a product you can buy out there to fit your needs, but you really don't have what it takes to design something like this. I don't think anyone here does.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:22 am

LoyalistRevolt wrote:Actually I need a little more help I want to be able to send the signal of the music from an Ipod to an intercom system so I could play music threw he speakers and control the Ipod in my pocket.
Oh, that's easy.

Hook a small radio up to the intercom, and get one of those FM transmitters for cars and plug it into the iPod.

Plan on Rickrolling your school during the morning announcements? :P

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:28 am

bicostp wrote:Plan on Rickrolling your school during the morning announcements? :P
Man, if you did that, you would be my hero!

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:35 am

WhatULive4 wrote:
bicostp wrote:Plan on Rickrolling your school during the morning announcements? :P
Man, if you did that, you would be my hero!
And If you do it, Video tape it. :P

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:33 pm

I wanted to gather a whole bunch of song and Rickroll that bad boy at the end... :lol:....I'd have to brake into my school which I did before to turn in a paper.....I really want to be able to do this by the end of the year.

Also does anyone know the max distance of the FM transmitter It would have to have a pretty good radius like the max distance of my school. (I have classes all over the place) Also would the transmitter feed of the power supply of the Intercom? One more thing Could I do it without interfering with the bells or actually intercom itself.

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:31 am

By coincidince I'm also working on a FM transmitter. I busted open an old wireless headphone and just used that to transmit my music. I can just plug anything into it and it'll get send around my house. The range depends on your S/N quality and your antenna. Also you'll need a lot of power for long distances. Mine is battery-powered so it only goes about 30 meters.

To design one by yourself would be a nightmare since you'd have to calculate the wavelenghts of all the signals used. This is necessary because to know the length of the tracks on your print. They have to be a specific length and if they are not the exact lenght the whole thing whil go oscillating like hell (like when you put a microphone to close to a speaker).

The part that sends the signals is about the size of a credit card. The receiver is about half that size.

If you want one search WIRELESS HEADPHONE or something on ebay. You'll be able to get one for cheap.
Last edited by sammy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:34 am

sammy wrote:By coincidince I'm also working on a FM transmitter. I busted open an old wireless headphone and just used that to transmit my music. I can just plug anything into it and it'll get send around my house. The range depends on your S/N quality and your antenna. Also you'll need a lot of power for long distances. Mine is battery-powered so it only goes about 30 meters.
Could you like us to the headphones you used?

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 am

ghosstt wrote:
sammy wrote:By coincidince I'm also working on a FM transmitter. I busted open an old wireless headphone and just used that to transmit my music. I can just plug anything into it and it'll get send around my house. The range depends on your S/N quality and your antenna. Also you'll need a lot of power for long distances. Mine is battery-powered so it only goes about 30 meters.
Could you like us to the headphones you used?
I guess you meant 'link' there instead of like.

I used the Senheisser HDR 45, but I'm sure any headphone would do.
Here's one that's pretty decent: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Sennheiser-T60- ... otohosting

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:47 am

Oops. I meant link. Thanks a bunch! Do you have any idea how much that transfers into U.S Dollars?