SS's 5th portable N64, The SS64.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64
SS's 5th portable N64, The SS64.

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:46 pm

The SS64, or ShockSlayer 64

Ok, here we goooo!

Front of the Unit
4 Led modded screen
Top of unit
Back w/power meter on
bottom

Google video is uploading

I ripped apart the old unit and used the parts for this one. The unit is not up for sale(probably wont go up)
6400mah Lithium Ion battery w/Fuel Gauge and Protection PCB.
Jumper Pack
4 led modded original sony psone screen
Precision Tactswitch buttons
Original Joystick(great condition)
Idiot proof wiring diagram
ac adapter port
2nd player port
headphone port(yay LoB!)
Dpad and L
Expansion port from controller
10 pin multi signal port(av in/out + controllerports)
Internal fan

Go ahead. Tell me what you think.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:08 pm

I like the pipe clamp as a cartridge support. That's actually a pretty cool idea! Did the "fuel gage" PCB come with the Li-ion charger?

Pretty sweet work!
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:28 pm

I'll be the meanie to say this.

I liked #4's case better. :D :D :shock:
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:37 pm

great job! your case work is getting better! :D

still a few things that could be improved upon, but overall, i am very impressed!

this is making it obvious that the zn series cases really are becoming the new tackle boxes of the ben heck forums!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Best one yet by a long shot. Could use some work on the controls and some other small details. I can honestly say this one looks good. Any pics of the inside?

You've inspired me to try (again) to build a N64p, that thing is pretty small.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Nice. Though why didn't you sand down where you put all of the buttons? It looks like the hot glue gun just set off around it. :P

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:16 pm

DISCLAIMER: none of the following is intended to insult, belittle or cause mental scaring. the fact that you can consistantly build n64 portables proves that you are generally knowledgable with electronics and should be applauded for such but...

I will admit you are getting better at it but JESUS your cases are STILL really goddamn ugly dude, do you use sandpaper at all? i see you are still grossly overusing hotglue as well. some helpful tips:

1. before installing the controllers and lcd etc SAND DOWN the parts you epoxyed in, start with 250 or so then 400, 400 is smooth enough that it will get rid of most of the scratches left by more coarse sandpaper and your case will look MUCH MUCH better for it

2. EXPOSED HOTGLUE IS A NO-NO, hotglue is best left BEHIND THE SCENES doin its thing where it cant be seen. hotglue is not pretty to look at so dont have it showing if at all possible

3. same goes for wires and PCBs, you shouldnt be able to see them unless you are looking inside the case, they make it look ghetto and thrown together

all of the above is intended as constructive criticism and should be taken as such, I AM really impressed that you can actually build working n64s but your cases need some help dude!

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 am

Triton wrote:DISCLAIMER: none of the following is intended to insult, belittle or cause mental scaring. the fact that you can consistantly build n64 portables proves that you are generally knowledgable with electronics and should be applauded for such but...

I will admit you are getting better at it but JESUS your cases are STILL really goddamn ugly dude, do you use sandpaper at all? i see you are still grossly overusing hotglue as well. some helpful tips:

1. before installing the controllers and lcd etc SAND DOWN the parts you epoxyed in, start with 250 or so then 400, 400 is smooth enough that it will get rid of most of the scratches left by more coarse sandpaper and your case will look MUCH MUCH better for it

2. EXPOSED HOTGLUE IS A NO-NO, hotglue is best left BEHIND THE SCENES doin its thing where it cant be seen. hotglue is not pretty to look at so dont have it showing if at all possible

3. same goes for wires and PCBs, you shouldnt be able to see them unless you are looking inside the case, they make it look ghetto and thrown together

all of the above is intended as constructive criticism and should be taken as such, I AM really impressed that you can actually build working n64s but your cases need some help dude!
I'm so glad you said this. I was in effect "scared" to say anything, because I have not completed a portable as of yet.

I think it is great that you have made a n64 portable, I just wish I could look and it an not think "what a piece of crap". It has all the components necessary for an excellent portable, but it is pushed down into the so-so category just because it isn't pretty.

Please don't take this personally in any way, I respect you like !CRAZY! but have some pride in your work!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:53 am

It's your best one yet! I like it. The overall design is very nice - it just needs a few tweaks to get it to shine, but your ideas are very good (and quite copy-able :P). The cooling fan on top is great, and the speaker holes on the bottom are fine if that's the only place left to put them. The PSP has speakers on the bottom and that hasn't hurt sales, has it?

Any chance we can get a bit more detailed explanation as to what all the switches and jacks all over the case do?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:18 am

It's freakin' gorgeous by your standards.

You decide whether that's a good thing or not.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:05 am

@Tibia: Thanks, I used the same clamp for my 3rd and 4th too! :P

@Sharp Sapphire: I dont know how, but up close I'm positive you would reconsider. :roll:

@lovablechevy: Thanks! I've only seen a few other people complete a portable with it, but these cases are awesome!

@vskid: Thanks, I can get pics of the inside sometime later, today I'm making a movie with my friends.

@ghosstt: I could actually sand it down because we were out of sand paper(Room remodeling) and I didnt want to wait. I did try to file it down. :?

@Triton: I actually only used one stick in this one. I'm dead serious.
1. Yeah, I kinda already installed the lcd before I got to the buttons. I was planning to just drill holes and mount them in, But I screwed that up bid time, so I had to resort to the epoxy.
2+3. Yeah, I'm actually not done on the cosmetics, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that should essentially clean it all up.
I take no offence at all to what you said. :lol: Mentally scarring :lol:

@WhatULive4: Just stay tuned, I'll have it looking awesome asap. 8)

@Life of Brian: Thanks! Okay, Ill post some redone pics with labels for the switches and stuff. :)

@Kyo: My sentiments exactly. :D Yes, It's a good thing. This one leaves room for an incredible amount of improvement.

No bacteria post? :shock:

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nc

Post by nc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:34 am

That thing is small by N64p standards. Good job!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:33 am

Small portable, nice work. Must have been quite tight!

Layout is nice. If you take a bit more care with the appearance of the D-pad, screen outer and joystick base, top of case; you will have a corker of a system.

This is impressive, no doubts, just needs finishing. You can do this with some sandpaper to make it smooth, and glue some black thick paper on top (making holes for buttons, etc; and varnish it of course), that will look greatly better. Image

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Wow, that is some damn nice work cramping an entire N64 in there. Massive props, now, as your quite clearly exprienced in N64 portable fields, if you made an N64 portable in that case and made it look really flush and professional, you'd surely be at the top of portablizers around.

Sorry for perhaps being harsh, but you sure do have potinetal.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:30 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:... if you made an N64 portable in that case and made it look really flush and professional, you'd surely be at the top of portablizers around.
Agreed. SS - tidy up the front, make it even, sand it down, make the screen surround tidy and integrated (no gaps, hot glue visible, etc), make a block to house the cables for the game cart, make these cables flatter (stick out far too much at the moment), make a holder on the block for the game cart; make the battery charger cable integrated in the case rather than out the back, put buttons on the tact switches on the top of the case, put a D-pad on the front, straighten the connectors on the top, tidy up the joystick area, repair the plastic on the casing as needed.

Do all these things and you will have a professional product. It is worth the effort!