PSOne into Arcade - H.D instead of CD-ROM and Emulators

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Maor
PSOne into Arcade - H.D instead of CD-ROM and Emulators

Post by Maor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi All,
I have 2 arcade cabinets and I already restored one and used it to display a game I've created in Flash:

I thought I'll use my old PSOne for the other cabinet.

1. Can I use a Hard drive instead of CD's? It would be a drag changing CD's all the time since the system would be concealed.

2. All my game CD's are severely scratched. Where can I get copies for my games (you may PM me if posting here is not cool)?

3. can I run an Emulator wich would let me play oldschool arcade games (Pacman, Street Fighter, Etc.)?

Thanks a lot,
Maor.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:45 pm

Heya there! Welcome here!

1. Sorry to break this out, but you can't substitute the PS1 CD Drive with an HD. A PS2 with an HD, however, is possible. PS1s, not so. You just have to make a small door with easy access to the system.

2. If you are thinking of re-buying them, you can try ebay. But if you think of downloading them, not cool. Not even on PMs.

3. Yes. You can only run NES games, though. Look for the emulator "It Might Be NES" on the internet.

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:57 am

Aguiluz wrote: 2. If you are thinking of re-buying them, you can try ebay. But if you think of downloading them, not cool. Not even on PMs.

3. Yes. You can only run NES games, though. Look for the emulator "It Might Be NES" on the internet.
And downloading NES games is cool? That's not very consistent..

FreakyDDR

Post by FreakyDDR » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:14 am

He said look for the emulator, not for the games....

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:34 am

FreakyDDR wrote:He said look for the emulator, not for the games....
Ok but it's obvious that...

Oh well, never mind
Back on topic..

People have tried to replace the cd drive or connect a hard drive, but failed..
I'd recommend you buy a chipped PS2 (which has this option) or a softmodded/chipped XBOX (which can emulate all kinds of stuff)..

Maor

Post by Maor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks fellows,
Re-buying them for low cost on EBay could work too, thanks.

My younger brother stopped by the other day and brought me his PS2 and a few games, apparently he doesn't use it anymore (he got so serious since he joined the IDF... :) ).

So great, now I have a PSOne AND a PS2.
How about elaborating on that DVD to HD replacement for the PS2?
How will I be able to navigate through all the content?

Make me smarter please!
:)

BTW
did Somone ever managed to run Windows XP on a PS2 or is it just a rumor?

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Just a hoax.

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:04 am

There are a couple of ways to do this (softmodding, that is), it also depends if you have the "fat" or the "slimline" PS2..
Some links:
- HDAdvance (If you have the fat model: You need a Network adapter, which has an IDE Adapter to use the harddrive, then you need the HDAdvance or similar software.
If you have the slim model, You can use a (compatible) USB HDD) - Tut here..
- Memento with Memor32 (Does not work for PSX yet as far as I know)

I hope someone else has more solutions because I'm not an expert on this, and google is your friend..

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:11 pm

xbox is a better idea i think since you have a ton of emulator and everything can go of the hardrive including ps1 with slight audio error.

Maor

Post by Maor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Sweet... but I don't have an Xbox available right now.

As for the HD installation, I have the "fat" PS2, but it also has USB ports:

will it work with an external HD?
If not, in HDAdvance softmodding you've mentioned a Network adapter, is this the only way (here it's about 80us$)...?

And again a bit off topic. Can I make a portable PS2 using a screen I took from an old laptop (very old)?
Last edited by Maor on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HBN

Post by HBN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:51 pm

I know somebody who uses a flash drive with his PS2 (fat). It might work with a solid-state hard drive, but I don't think it would with anything else. And solid-states are truly the definition of EXPENSIVE.

Were talking, I priced one online - 120 gig - Nearly three times as expensive as a 7200 RPM 1.1 Terabyte drive.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:44 am

dragonball345 wrote:xbox is a better idea i think since you have a ton of emulator and everything can go of the hardrive including ps1 with slight audio error.
I'd have to agree with that, I have a modded Xbox, and it's the perfect emulation machine..
Maor wrote: If not, in HDAdvance softmodding you've mentioned a Network adapter, is this the only way (here it's about 80us$)...?
I believe you can use an external HD, but you need to have a modchip installed.. HD Advance is (an example of) software that can be used to read the HD..
But I could be wrong, I am not experienced with this, I use the Memor32 myself, but it doesn't run PSX games yet..

80$ is indeed expensive for a lame Network adapter, but if you do want to spend that kind of money, I'd recommend you spend it on a chipped Xbox..

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 pm

If you plan on using a harddrive on the PS2, you CANNOT run PSX games from the harddrive, due to the fact that the program that runs PS2 games from the harddrive uses the PSX memory allocations to run.
USB harddrives work on both slim and fat PS2s, the only downside is that, compared to the network-adapter-connected HDDs, you get slower load times.
For anything involving the PS2, and I mean anything, you do not need a modchip, they just make things MUCH easier in the long run. To go about it without a modchip, you will need swap discs (Swap Magic), and either an open PS2, or a PS2 with a custom/modified case, to allow yourself to change discs without ejecting/turning off the console. Seeing as how you're trying to avoid accessing the PS2 at all once it is installed inside the cabinet, I would suggest getting a modchip, and installing it in either a PS2 with network adapter, or PStwo with IDE cable soldered on (there's a ribbon cable overlay dongle thing you can buy, which sits on top of the part of the PStwo motherboard with the IDE solder points, and EZ-solders to the board)

And don't try to shoot down the PS2 scene and say "play NES games" (referring to an NES emulator with pirated NES games) in the same post, it makes you look like an idiot.

And what's the point on using a console as a base for an emulation arcade cab? Just use a computer. Put in a switch to then use the PS2.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Maor wrote:2. All my game CD's are severely scratched. Where can I get copies for my games (you may PM me if posting here is not cool)
Aguiluz wrote:2. If you are thinking of re-buying them, you can try ebay. But if you think of downloading them, not cool. Not even on PMs.
I was not referring to downloading NES Roms and counteracting myself with saying download a NES emu. I was answering his second question.

Maor

Post by Maor » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:47 pm

The PS2 has a modchip which allows it to play backed-up games.
I don't know what kind of chip I've got in there...

I've followed this guide, formatted the HD and copied a game to it using the GUI version.
Now when I plug the USB into the PS2, nothing hapens. It doesn't load from it or showing me an option to load from it.
I have a 2.9" external HD which doesn't require a power source other than the USB. What am I missing? :roll:

The HD inside is WD 160GB 8MB cach. It's not on the compatibility list, but there's similar HDs there.