nes/snes portable - finished page 14

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 pm

thanks, guys!
shmagoogin77 wrote:this thing is really amazing for a first portable
your case work is incredible
i would like to tackle something like this
you too can have a great looking case! just use lots of bondo (i prefer marine putty), spot putty, and sanding. of course, you have to be able to dedicate hours to the sanding... not... fun...

Tibia: no, grey isn't going to be my final color, that's just the primer.

this is just a tiny update. i've never really soldered before, and honestly, i was scared to death of taking that step. well, i just want to say that i'm not too worried anymore! i successfully extended the connection between the nes and snes boards! i plugged everything up, popped in a nes and snes game, and made sure it all still worked! btw, i realize that this picture doesn't prove much... i forgot to take a pic with the power on... stupid!

then, i hot glued the connections on the board and wrapped electrical tape around the exposed wires.

i think i need to redo my led mod. the wires are just too long. also, random question about this mod. do you leave the leads of the leds at their original length, or do you need to trim them...? i can't really tell from anybody's pictures.

i've decided that all of my portables are going to have a "stylistic trademark." you know you want to know what it is! i will reveal it soon... :D
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:19 pm

STOP!

Your gonna fry that Retro Duo! You MUST put it on something that doesn't collect static easily (AKA a desk)!
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Sharp Sapphire wrote:STOP!

Your gonna fry that Retro Duo! You MUST put it on something that doesn't collect static easily (AKA a desk)!
umm... yeah... i'm not gonna fry it. but thanks!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 pm

lovablechevy wrote:

... :shock:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Sharp Sapphire wrote:
lovablechevy wrote:

... :shock:
no, really. this is a pretty tough board. if i haven't fried it by now doin all i have been, i'm not gonna fry it by setting it on a towel. especially when i never carry any static electricity in my apt. all the work i've done with it has been on a towel. all the soldering i just did... on a towel. i can't get solder and mess on my nice dining room table. but thanks for the concern.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Looks great, better than mine. Except the back, I don't like how it's boxy when the rest is curvy. Personal preference is all. That paint job looks really nice, your many coats of bondo really paid off.

One concern I have is your buttons. Please, please, PLEASE screw on your controller boards instead of gluing them down, because after a while, the paint on the buttons *WILL* flake off on the sides, and you'll want to replace them.
Hey, sup?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:16 am

I toss my SNES boards around all the time - never fried one. There really isn't much to fry on these boards with only static electricity.

Way to go on successful soldering job #1! It's empowering, isn't it? I like the Hacking Video Game Consoles book peeking into the picture. Nice touch.

I don't know, Kurt - that's only assuming she's going to paint the buttons. If not, glue sure is easy.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:13 am

Kurt_ wrote:Looks great, better than mine. Except the back, I don't like how it's boxy when the rest is curvy. Personal preference is all. That paint job looks really nice, your many coats of bondo really paid off.

One concern I have is your buttons. Please, please, PLEASE screw on your controller boards instead of gluing them down, because after a while, the paint on the buttons *WILL* flake off on the sides, and you'll want to replace them.
thanks, Kurt_! yeah, the boxiness bothers me a little, but i'm not done with the back yet, so i might be able to round it off some. and the only buttons i'm painting are the brightness and volume buttons (which i'm sure i won't actually use that much). i'm using the controllers from the retro duo, that's why they are blue.

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:00 am

Life of Brian wrote:I toss my SNES boards around all the time - never fried one. There really isn't much to fry on these boards with only static electricity.
Tell that to my stack of ruined NES boards. :(
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:26 am

Sharp Sapphire wrote:
Life of Brian wrote:I toss my SNES boards around all the time - never fried one. There really isn't much to fry on these boards with only static electricity.
Tell that to my stack of ruined NES boards. :(
hmm... let's see here... snes... nes... pretty sure those are completely different boards! :wink: the retroduo is a snes and noac board. noac boards are tough. if i was working with an original nes or an n64 or even a playstation, i would be much more conscious of static electricity.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am

HELP!!!

last night was quite disastrous for me... :cry:

ok, maybe it wasn't that bad, but it did greatly frustrate me...

any help would be great from those who have used these batteries before.

just posting this here in case people don't notice my other thread.

thanks!

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:54 am

Let me start by saying, AMAZING WORK. Second, sorry I won't be able to help you with your battery problem... Third, do you think you could post all the goodies about your screen? (brand,model,price,maybe a link?)

Thanks!
Ghost

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:18 am

ghosstt wrote:Let me start by saying, AMAZING WORK. Second, sorry I won't be able to help you with your battery problem... Third, do you think you could post all the goodies about your screen? (brand,model,price,maybe a link?)

Thanks!
Ghost
thanks!

the screen is a 5" zenith gamecube screen. it is almost identical to the psone brand screen. they made them for the xbox, gamecube, and playstation 2. i just found a really great deal on ebay and paid about $28 shipped.

the seller is out of the gamecube screens, but does have an xbox and playstation 2 screens for sale! they are used screens, just so you know. but, i couldn't tell that mine had been used at all!

hope that's what you were wanting! :D

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am

lovablechevy wrote:
ghosstt wrote:Let me start by saying, AMAZING WORK. Second, sorry I won't be able to help you with your battery problem... Third, do you think you could post all the goodies about your screen? (brand,model,price,maybe a link?)

Thanks!
Ghost
thanks!

the screen is a 5" zenith gamecube screen. it is almost identical to the psone brand screen. they made them for the xbox, gamecube, and playstation 2. i just found a really great deal on ebay and paid about $28 shipped.

the seller is out of the gamecube screens, but does have an xbox and playstation 2 screens for sale! they are used screens, just so you know. but, i couldn't tell that mine had been used at all!

hope that's what you were wanting! :D
Ah Perfect. Thanks so much! Are the pinouts and such the same as the psOne screen? Or is it a completely different PCB and stuff?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:33 am

ghosstt wrote:Ah Perfect. Thanks so much! Are the pinouts and such the same as the psOne screen? Or is it a completely different PCB and stuff?
yeah, they are exactly the same. there is info in the forums about them. i know that Life of Brian has used them before, at least on his completed zn-40 snes. you can look at his making of and completedlinks to compare if you would like.