sg/fc dual action - genesis & nes clone review

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
sg/fc dual action - genesis & nes clone review

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 am

updated compatibility list as of 3/15/08

genesis
  • * f22 interceptor - perfect
    * golden axe ii - loads but has controller issues - see gn twin review
    * lakers vs celtics and the nba playoffs - perfect
    * phantasy star ii - perfect
    * phantasy star iii - perfect
    * phantasy star iv - perfect
    * primal rage - perfect
    * shadowrun - perfect
    * shining force - perfect
    * sonic the hedgehog - perfect
    * sonic the hedgehog 2 - perfect
    * sonic the hedgehog 3 - perfect
    * sonic & knuckles - perfect (including the lock-on games)
    * super hydlide - perfect
    * traysia - perfect
    * virtua racing - perfect
    * winter challenge - perfect
nes (i am using good since i don't have an actual nes to compare)
  • * blaster master - good
    * castlevania - good
    * castlevania ii: simon's quest - good
    * castlevania iii: dracula's curse - does not work
    * dragon warrior - does not work
    * dragon warrior ii - good
    * dragon warrior iii - good
    * dragon warrior iv - does not work
    * dungeon magic: sword of the elements - good
    * gauntlet (unlicensed) - does not work
    * guardian legend - does not work
    * gyromite - good
    * hydlide - good
    * ironsword: wizards & warriors ii - good
    * legacy of the wizard - good
    * legend of zelda - good
    * magic of scheherazade - good
    * metroid - good
    * milon's secret castle - good
    * paperboy - good
    * star tropics - does not work
    * super mario bros/duck hunt - smb is good no way to test duck hunt
    * trojan - good
    * zelda ii: the adventure of link - good
famicom with converter
  • * advanced dungeons & dragons: dragons of flame - good
    * fire emblem - does not work
    * fire emblem gaiden - does not work
    * mother - good
    * musashi no bouken - good
    * suito homu - good
nes repro carts
  • * advanced dungeons & dragons: dragons of flame - good
    * adventures of musashi - does not work
    * earthbound zero - good
    * sweet home - good
just to clear something up, all of my nes games have been taken apart and cleaned. i try each game at least 10x to make sure that it's just not a bad connection.

box front

box back

packaging

console

controller with smaller connector

insides - will post measurements later

bottom of boards

requested picture of sg/fc daul action playing virtua racing

well, for the most part, this system is just not as good as the gn twin. it feels flimsier. and it has more compatibility issues.

the genesis side is almost exactly the same as the gn twin, including it's power base converter issues. so, you can see my comments about the gn twin. in fact, the only thing different that i noticed is that this system has more issues with sound effects.

the nes side is really odd. i think that the cart slot is too shallow. it doesn't really feel like much of the game actually goes into the slot. the first game i put in, i kept pushing and pushing... just waiting for the "click" of the game being inserted. finally i gave up and just turned it on. it made it so that i had to try multiple times for many of my games to work. after 10 tries, i gave up and included it as a non-compatible game. who wants to insert a game 10 times just to get it to work? not me, that's for sure. the ONLY good thing about the cart slot is that the games come back out of it with very little effort. this is of course due to the fact that barely any of the game gets into the cart slot to begin with.

the controller is exactly the same as the gn twins. so you can see those comments if you want.

i don't like the power button. it wiggles around and is too easy to accidentally jump the off switch. many times when trying to turn the nes side off, i went all the way to the genesis power being on. this is more of an annoyance than anything else.

between the gn twin and the sg/fc dual action system... get a gn twin... if you don't like the look of the gn twin, wait until there is a review available for the gen-x.
Last edited by lovablechevy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 am

TecToy again?! Are they part of the production of all the new Genesis/NES 2-in-1s out there? But I guess I'll pass this one since sound seems to be pretty messed up(volume problems or actual changes in sound effects?). If only the GN Twin actually looked like a Model 3 Genesis just like this one and the Gen-X, then I'd buy the GN Twin(on top of not being available locally yet).

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:39 pm

What's this? A forum member actually doing research on something!? I thought those days were long gone! :P

Thank you for your wonderful posts and testing! I laughed when I saw how much empty space was in that case. Typical!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:11 pm

You wanna really see empty space? Take a look at Chev's review of the GN Twin(last post). 85% of the inside is air!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 am

Life of Brian wrote:What's this? A forum member actually doing research on something!? I thought those days were long gone! :P

Thank you for your wonderful posts and testing! I laughed when I saw how much empty space was in that case. Typical!
yeah, after reading the posts of "there isn't enough going on here" and such, i decided to do what i could to help it be more interesting.

of course, it doesn't seem like the genesis forum gets a lot of hits... or that people really care about these genesis clones. *shrugs*

i'm glad you enjoy my posts! hopefully i'll have 2 more reviews ready in the not to distant future.

17daysolderthannes

Re: sg/fc dual action - genesis & nes clone review

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:19 am

lovablechevy wrote:... if you don't like the look of the gn twin, wait until there is a review available for the gen-x.
I'm pretty sure the Hyperkin SG/FC and the Gen-X are the exact same system, just imported by different people with a different logo slapped on. So, if you're looking for something better looking than the GN Twin (which looks fine IMO) you'll have to wait until a completely different clone is released.

lovablechevy

Re: sg/fc dual action - genesis & nes clone review

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 am

17daysolderthannes wrote:I'm pretty sure the Hyperkin SG/FC and the Gen-X are the exact same system, just imported by different people with a different logo slapped on. So, if you're looking for something better looking than the GN Twin (which looks fine IMO) you'll have to wait until a completely different clone is released.
are you pretty sure because you actually own both and have tested both?

yeah, i didn't think so.

just because they look the same cosmetically doesn't mean anything. from the video i watched on the gen-x, it looks like the nes cart slot is nice and tight. not at all what i described for this system, thank-you-very-much.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey, does the Power Base Converter work on this thing or does it act the same way as the GN Twin?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Ace_1 wrote:Hey, does the Power Base Converter work on this thing or does it act the same way as the GN Twin?
it acts exactly the same as the gn twin.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:56 am

Great, I might buy this. But they'll probably make a Genesis/snes twin sooner or later. That would be awesome.