Painted GoW DS

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

'kay
Painted GoW DS

Post by 'kay » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm kinda wary of posting this because 1) The paint finish is rubbish and 2) I feel like it's not enough of a mod to be well... a mod (I was gunna add red LEDs but they were too big :( )

Anyway... my portable N64 broke. Again. So I decided to do a more simple mod that would result in me feeling like less of a failure :D
I bought my DS from America when they first came out, so it it's pretty old and beat up looking...
So.. I decided to paint my DS to show my love for Gears of War :]

Lots of sanding and painting later I got this:
Logo close-up:
And what the colours actually look like:

Sorry for the blurriness, my camera is broken and wont focus right :x
Most of the flaws aren't really that noticeable...

Anyway.... it's not really done 'cause I need to clean up the skull more.

The paint job is kinda rubbish (my first time ever using spray paint!) and the red is only really there to help disguise how horrible the black looked =D.
I had this really nice matte black, which had a really nice finish... but it got scratched while it was drying... and I ran out, so I redid it with different matte black which looked terrible.
I really liked it all black too... (I might buy another case and redo it)

For the curious this is what it looked like before I redid it:

So what do you guys think?

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:06 am

Show this on AcidMods.com - this is just what they only seem to do; painting and LED's. Not hacking or proper modding, just cosmetic stuff. Basic stuff. (I'm not that bothered about AcidMods, as you can guess). In saying this, nice paint job (buttons would be nicer black not red though). I presume you lacquered / varnished the paint so it doesn't peel or chip off?

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:13 am

they do do some other stuff there too bacteria like the dual nubs the button movements but i do agree benheck is more advanced it seems.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am

Does anyone else see the irony of an Xbox game logo on a Nintendo console? :lol:

Nice job. Did you use a stencil on the logo? It has that "grunge" aesthetic to it (which fits the game, I guess.) 8)

Yeah, from what I've seen AcidMods mostly does cosmetic stuff ("I crammed some LEDs in my PSP, yo!"). Unfortunately, shiny gets more attention than tech.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

bacteria wrote:Show this on AcidMods.com - this is just what they only seem to do; painting and LED's. Not hacking or proper modding, just cosmetic stuff. Basic stuff. (I'm not that bothered about AcidMods, as you can guess). In saying this, nice paint job (buttons would be nicer black not red though). I presume you lacquered / varnished the paint so it doesn't peel or chip off?
Thats a very ingorant statement.

Haven't you seen the dual nub and internal storage mods?

As for the mod? I like it.

'kay

Post by 'kay » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 pm

@bacteria

Oh I've haven't heard of AcidMods before. I might try them... if I can be bothered making a new account just for this :)
I agree about the buttons though, I'm not really finished, so I probably will repaint them. And actually I haven't lacquered it yet, since the paint is /still/ drying. :roll:

@bicostp
I'm a big fan of irony :)
And yep, I used a rubbish cardboard stencil... about 6 of them. Since I kept needing to clean bits up... I do love grunge aesthetics though.. I'm just usually too much of a perfectionist for it to work.

"Unfortunately, shiny gets more attention than tech."
Ahh well... hopefully my finished N64 will be a nice cross between the two ... but knowing my luck, probably not. :)

@Negative_Creep
Thank you :D

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:32 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:
bacteria wrote:Show this on AcidMods.com - this is just what they only seem to do; painting and LED's. Not hacking or proper modding, just cosmetic stuff. Basic stuff. (I'm not that bothered about AcidMods, as you can guess). In saying this, nice paint job (buttons would be nicer black not red though). I presume you lacquered / varnished the paint so it doesn't peel or chip off?

The comment wasn't meant to be "ignorant", I have viewed quite a lot of sample posts on AcidMods (until I got bored) and they just seem to be flashy LED's, or changing LEDs for different colours, or making a hole in a case and adding a fan with coloured LED's in it, or paint jobs. I find this boring and purely cosmetic. This is also true in the "modders for hire" sections. "Ignorance" is from a lack of research, I viewed a lot of postings (most didn't go anywhere BTW), and this was my conclusion, so that means my comments were not "ignorant" as they were my findings from what I saw there. I am not knocking their site, they have their place and level of interest; just they aren't in the same league as BenHeck.

I am sure there are exceptions to the rule on their forum, and no, I didn't see the dual nub and internal storage mods you refer to. Sure my comments were tongue in cheek, but actually 'kay's paint job IS the sort of mod that AcidMods members seem to love - so I suggested it.

BenHeck is far more advanced site, not just dealing with modding but also hacking too. It is in a different league to AcidMods entirely. On BenHeck it is more of a case of ripping apart mobos, slicing up the boards, rewiring components, making things work in ways they weren't designed / available to by default (eg RGB), custom making components and case-making: this is far more advanced and also fits my level of interest - I love the BenHeck forum! Also, the AcidMod moderators seem to like their bit of "power" and a bit immature / inexperienced to boot; in contrast, the moderators on BenHeck are helpful, witty and mature (not sucking up, I believe this to be true). I love this site, I just wish more people were actively modding and hacking and posting their projects on this site than we have at the moment; some people whine about not much happening here, yet the same people don't contribute projects, so can't really therefore complain...

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Wicked awesome paint job, 'kay! If you paint your portables like that, you'll make a nice comfortable place for yourself here in no time!

Why do I feel like going out to the garage to add some orange flames to my SNESp now? :P
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

'kay

Post by 'kay » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:19 am

Life of Brian wrote:Wicked awesome paint job, 'kay! If you paint your portables like that, you'll make a nice comfortable place for yourself here in no time!
Thank you! :D
Life of Brian wrote:Why do I feel like going out to the garage to add some orange flames to my SNESp now? :P
Because orange flames look awesome on black :P

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:52 am

Life of Brian wrote:Wicked awesome paint job, 'kay! If you paint your portables like that, you'll make a nice comfortable place for yourself here in no time!

Why do I feel like going out to the garage to add some orange flames to my SNESp now? :P
Oh man, I have to do that (If I ever get a screen for my snesp)

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 am

bacteria wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:

The comment wasn't meant to be "ignorant", I have viewed quite a lot of sample posts on AcidMods (until I got bored) and they just seem to be flashy LED's, or changing LEDs for different colours, or making a hole in a case and adding a fan with coloured LED's in it, or paint jobs. I find this boring and purely cosmetic. This is also true in the "modders for hire" sections. "Ignorance" is from a lack of research, I viewed a lot of postings (most didn't go anywhere BTW), and this was my conclusion, so that means my comments were not "ignorant" as they were my findings from what I saw there. I am not knocking their site, they have their place and level of interest; just they aren't in the same league as BenHeck.

I am sure there are exceptions to the rule on their forum, and no, I didn't see the dual nub and internal storage mods you refer to. Sure my comments were tongue in cheek, but actually 'kay's paint job IS the sort of mod that AcidMods members seem to love - so I suggested it.

BenHeck is far more advanced site, not just dealing with modding but also hacking too. It is in a different league to AcidMods entirely. On BenHeck it is more of a case of ripping apart mobos, slicing up the boards, rewiring components, making things work in ways they weren't designed / available to by default (eg RGB), custom making components and case-making: this is far more advanced and also fits my level of interest - I love the BenHeck forum! Also, the AcidMod moderators seem to like their bit of "power" and a bit immature / inexperienced to boot; in contrast, the moderators on BenHeck are helpful, witty and mature (not sucking up, I believe this to be true). I love this site, I just wish more people were actively modding and hacking and posting their projects on this site than we have at the moment; some people whine about not much happening here, yet the same people don't contribute projects, so can't really therefore complain...
The way you said made it same as if you was insulting the members of the forum and saying their modders wasnt on the same level as Benheck, and your right about there not being many active modders on this forum :(

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:34 am

There are more active members on BenHeck than on AcidMods - AcidMods seems dying; people are less interested in the PSP now, which seems the primary interest on that site. I was talking on their site about hacking work and the comment that came back was that AcidMods is more about cosmetic work (eg paintjobs and LED's) and general stuff rather than more hardcore hacking and modding work. I think that illustrates my point.