My First Post. Complete with Questions. and B12!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

MasterPrime
My First Post. Complete with Questions. and B12!

Post by MasterPrime » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 am

I'm gonna make me an xbox 360 laptop. 22". please note that I am very broke and have to save up to buy one piece at a time.

some things first.
I suck at electronics. I can solder well enough but expecting me to know what's what on a board is bad. I am, however, good at designing things. My case layout shouldn't be too much of a problem, if someone wouldn't mind helping me with airflow/cooling that would be great.

On to the questions!!

1: I haven't seen anything for connecting the camera like in the elite video. is there a tutorial I can't find floating around?

2: what program do you use for your case layout? I've got Maya, Photoshop, and ImageReady and I'm sure they would all work just fine. This is really more to sate my curiosity.

3: case materials. I want something that's high quality. I want this thing to look like Microsoft made it and I'm one of the few who has one. Only more reliable *rimshot*
I understand ways to construct cases (vac form, franken, blahdiblah) but the actual material the case is made out of is what I wanna know about.

4: where do I get something like: Image
that one's not the right size but it's kinda what I'm lookin for. I figured I'd have metal insides with plastic outsides and would need some way to make sure they stay together.

and finally
5: why hasn't ben started a store with a whole bunch of tools and parts and stuff? seems logical to me.

anyway. if you answer this thanks.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:04 pm

If you "suck" at electronics, dont have much money, and dont even know what to make your case out of (plastic?) dont even try this complex of a project. Design is easy. The project building is whats hard. Start out with an NES or SNES. And Benheck has not opened a store because most good modders can get the stuff they want online cheaper than ben could sell it in a store. The only people that would buy stuff there are newbies like you who would complain about the price, not buy the right stuff, screw up your 360, and go back and say that he was the reason. Besides, he lives in a town with a population of kust over 9000 people. Sorry for being harsh, but bens 360 laptop makes all these people like you come and think they can do this. :)

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm not the only one working on this project. I've got an electronics guy. I'm just the design guy.

my question isn't a "How do I do this?" question. It's one to find out what options I have. Yes plastic is a good idea for a case, but what else is there?

true I'm broke but I can still buy stuff piece by piece. I have an xbox 360 and camera and wireless adapter. but before I start taking things apart I wanna make sure my team is able to do this. We're all trying to learn here. It's our first jump into the modding world and we're gonna go big. confidence is high but information is low and it would be stupid to start doing stuff before we knew what it is we're trying to do.

besides. my SNES project is just as big as this. I see no need to go small.
(wait'll you hear my other copyright infringing ideas)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:33 pm

ok, i thought you were trying to ddo this on your own. :) hooking up the camera; just take the plastic casing off the camera and mount it in the lid. for the casing, i really think that wood would be both awesome and easy to work with. sorry for being a bit harsh earlier!