iam new and building a N64p called p64 pics soon!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sonic4freedom
Portablizer
iam new and building a N64p called p64 pics soon!

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:25 am

:( i cant find my USB 4 the camera, i'll find it. i joined today and need a lot of help. my monitor is an interact 5.0" gamecube monitor. my resources are horrible: a glue gun, a pocket knife, a screw driver, and kitchen knives. besides my own hands, the tools are useless
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:36 am

now my instructions are a bit botched, i dont have a soldiring iron, so everything but wires are glued in. i have no vacuume table so my case is hideouse. be right back.
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:52 am

Buy a soldering iron.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:58 am

no money:( how much do they cost? (srry, iam using my psp internet for this, kinda slow)
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:03 am

got pics but cant post 'em off psp, iam gonna make a link...
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:16 am

i ran into some problems...besides money, i need a DC 12v to 3v converter, man this is hard when your poor:(
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:55 am

Soldering iron: $10 bucks
De-Soldering Iron: $10 bucks
Commision someone to build you a pth converter: $10(with shipping)
Find a dremel or buy one: $??

I reccomend you get all of the above and train with them before you start your portable.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:56 am

First thing, go read the rules. This is a forum, not a chat room. Try to think of everything you want to say and put it all in one post. If you think of something else to say within a few minutes after posting, and no one else has posted yet (usually the case), then just edit your previous post. If someone else has posted or its been about a day since you posted, then you can post again, again filling the post with everything you can think of.

Now to your portable. If you get money (allowance, job), save it to get parts. If you don't have a source of money, get one. If you have a lot of video game stuff, sell what you don't want/need. Or bum/borrow the stuff you need.

And, if possible, use something better than a PSP to post, it would have probably taken me at least twice as long to type this on my PSP.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:42 am

srry about the rules...:( ,my pics are up at: http://www.fotothing.com/sonic4anarchy/ now i started this thing 3 weeks ago, monitor came in yeasturday(mom payed 4 it) iam not pros like you guys so can u guide me through this...i used all of those tools before in other non-game related projects, but they are not mine(schools tools) its ugly and the monitor is not in yet(gonna put it in after wiring is done) any specific model for the batteries?(recharbles) and low priced...
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:04 pm

iam back, updated pics soon, iam gonna order a case online, this is to much. hope its cheap...
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 pm

So let's see, the only tools you have are a glue gun, A screw driver and you are posting that you are making an N64 system?? .... Kitchen knives? Image

I notice in the pic you just removed the N64 mobo and put it in a lunchbox. It won't be strong enough and will be bulky. You may as well keep it in its original case as that one is strong and durable.

Ok, being more serious now, if you hope to do an N64p that isn't just hacking away at a lunchbox, you are going to need the following tools for sure:

craft knives, small and large
soldering iron, 30w plus - don't glue wires together, they will unstick and lose contact!
solder, desoldering braid
pliers (large strong ones and thin fiddly ones)
electrical tape
electrical wire and thin wire
scissors
plenty of glue sticks for your glue gun
switches and tact switches
controller, N64 mobo, step down regulator, batteries (optional)
perspex, mounting board or similar (I also don't have vacuum forming table either, so make your own case - it is simple to make!)
multimeter (contacts, voltage)
sandpaper
paint/ similar
putty or similar
screen and speakers (you have that)
various screwdrivers, including one to open the N64
dremel and bits
design - paper, pencil, eraser, metal ruler.

May be one or two other things, can't think of them at the moment. Without the above tools, you will only be able to do very minor modding.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

thanx, my situation is getting better. my friends are funding me. i will get all supplies listed and will update when i made REAL progress. thanx 4 all of ur support. wish me luck. will send new pics tommorow
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Another overenthusiastic newbie gets in there without doing the right research first...

You need a soldering iron. Soldering is the only fool-proof, effective way to connect wires when you're going to be moving the unit around a lot. Glue comes undone much easier. Get a cheap iron from Radio Shack, or order one from Harbor Freight Tools, and learn how to use it properly before you even think about doing anything related to hardware hacking.

That case doesn't look very strong. You're probably better off working with the original case.

You need real tools. Don't use kitchen knives; all you will do is dull them. Get a utility knife from the hardware store; it's designed for this kind of thing.

Remember, Nintendo 64s tend to die at the worst possible time for no reason. It's not uncommon to have to buy 2 or 3 of them until you get a complete, working portable.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

instructions

Post by sonic4freedom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:17 pm

u guys can really shoot a guy down. i came for help on instructions, not criticism on my resources, i'll manage. iam not big money making, custom case making, hot shots like you guys. i know what iam capable of, so DONT go calling me some noob. iam done posting here...by the way NoobNation is a program i started in school to teach freshmen A+/net+ and earn their certification. good day to u all :evil:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:29 pm

Well excuse us for trying to help keep you off the fast track for disaster. :roll: If you don't have the right tools, you need to get them. Simple as that.

Chances are unless you get proper tools and some cash to work with, all you will wind up with is dull utensils, a dead N64, and a lunch box with some holes in it. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you're looking for but it's the truth. [size=0]And usually the truth is cold and hurts peoples' feelings. Such is life, kid.[/size]

You can't build a hot rod out of Elmer's glue and Popsicle sticks, and you can't build a portable console with a steak knife and Scotch tape. Don't flip out at us for trying to help you. :|

Did you even read the above posts? Sounds like you blew them off after you saw the word "newbie" and that rolling-around-laughing smiley.