post here your abandoned / fail projects

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm ashamed to admit having fried three Super Joy III's in my quest for a NOAC portable.

Somewhere in my room resides failed cases for a PSOneP and an Atari portable.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm

I tried making an N64p a couple years ago, accidentally sent 7.2v down the 3.3v line, connect grounds last!! I figured I wouldn't be able to make a good case for it even if I got another N64 and finished it, so I sold my PSone screen and gave up.

Thats pretty much the only one that failed, the others have ended up like bic's, "set aside for extended lengths of time". :wink:

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:44 pm

I've failed an N64p, mainly because I decided that I didn't want to spend any more money on it.

But for the most part I'm like bic. I just set projects aside for a while on my shelf.
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Rellizate wrote:PSoneP (officially the most expensive portable ever [and it still didn't work!]) Spent just over $2000 on it. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=16694
I too am curious of how you managed to spend $2000 on this? What did the money go on??

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 pm

I failed at a PStwoP. But in my defense it wasn't my fault, I had it laying on top of my tv, a friend walked by it, it fell over, ruined the cd drive. I didn't feel like ordering a replacement so I ditched the idea.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 pm

Well I was making a GCp when my parents decided to throw all the "crap" in a box, Killed my screen. I didn't wanna risk more loss of stuff so I stopped.

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:12 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:Well I was making a GCp when my parents decided to throw all the "crap" in a box, Killed my screen. I didn't wanna risk more loss of stuff so I stopped.
:shock: ow..

with this post i remember i had a green GB pocket, one day it stoped working, then i opened it and disambled all piezes, at the next day some one droped accidentally the GB LCD screen to the floor and... crack, i got a black damaged LCD screen, and the same day i just fixed the GB, (it was a broken resistor), but the damage was there, i finally get a fixed working GB with no screen. (it was broken) LOL....

the word for that is : ironic

theelk

Post by theelk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:Well I was making a GCp when my parents decided to throw all the "crap" in a box, Killed my screen. I didn't wanna risk more loss of stuff so I stopped.
You should get them to pay for what they damaged! If my parents did that, they'd totally pay. Then again, I have yet to get enough funds to embark on my own project...
I don't want to make an "I'm leaving" thread, but I've sort of lost interest in this board. So if you notice that I'm gone, that's why.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm

since i have started portablizing (keep in mind i have been here almost FOUR years)i have killed:
5(!!) N64s
at least one psone possibly 2
3 regular SNES systems no minis as they aparently are immortal
one 5.6" intec screen
one 4" interact? psone screen
several controllers for all of the above systems (only one snes tho)
i have never completed a system 100% to my satisfaction and the ones i have gotten "done" usually wound up taken back apart and rebuilt or i would get them most of the way done and have a serious setback forcing me to shelve it for a while, i could finish my psone portable and rebuild the case for my snes but i dont have the time to work on stuff much anymore! the only systems i am activly working on are snes and my gamecube, the gamecube is literally like 98% done and the snes i still need a working LCD for before i can do anything with it

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:58 pm

theelk wrote:
You should get them to pay for what they damaged! If my parents did that, they'd totally pay. Then again, I have yet to get enough funds to embark on my own project...
same here!

a portable project is VERY important, cuase you cannot buy it again built 100%, but that is not the main point, the lost money is important, but i think the worked time on the project is more important than the money does.

gamemasterAS, it is payback time! , kill your fathers, LOL (joke)

i see also there is a lot of people who spent a lot of money and time on their projects , i really apreciate this.

before register on this site, i thought i was the only crazy guy who get some time at home with this weird hobie, but as i can see i´m not alone. :wink:

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Ummm....... 2X N64 Overclock 2X Dreamcast Overclock :oops:

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:11 pm

On three seperate occasions I attempted to build a PCp.

The first attempt, I bought a Mini-ITX motherboard and configured it, but I accomplished very little else.

The second attempt, I bought a 3.5" embedded motherboard, but I accomplished very little else.

The third try I got quite a bit done. I bought another 3.5" motherboard and a CF microdrive for storage, designed and built a power circuit using linear regulators that almost worked properly, and put serious effort into interfacing the motherboard with a PSone screen.

None of the projects came close to succeeding, but through the miracles of eBay I was able to recoup most of the costs each time.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 am

HazmatB wrote:What on earth did you spend $2000 dollars on? I read through the whole thing... You didn't seem to fry any PS1s, screens, or any of the expensive parts. Sorry, but I just don't see how that is possible.
Heh, you ready for this?
Stuff I bought:

6 x PSones, (all broken)
4 x PSone screens, (all broken)
2 x case, (all broken)
4 x bondo (dried up), (3 broken)
12 x controllers, (all broken)
1 x psone cd reader, (broken)
2 x soldering irons (both broken, got one really good one now)
2 x desoldering irons (both broken)
1 x desoldering pumps (works!)
6 x various leds, (broken)
13 x pcb boards, (all used)
32m (total) x wire, (still got some left)
4 x batteries, (3 broken, 1 works)
2 x chargers.

And a few more things i've forgotten.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 am

HazmatB wrote:What on earth did you spend $2000 dollars on? I read through the whole thing... You didn't seem to fry any PS1s, screens, or any of the expensive parts. Sorry, but I just don't see how that is possible.
Heh, you ready for this?
Stuff I bought:

6 x PSones, (all broken)
2 x case, (all broken)
2 x chargers.

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:21 am

Rellizate wrote:
Heh, you ready for this?
Stuff I bought:

6 x PSones, (all broken)
2 x case, (all broken)
2 x chargers.

ps: you posted twice ^^

ouch , i can see now where the 2000$ went. hehe.

how exactly did you killed all of those stuff?

it is a lot! especially the 12 controllers :twisted:
teraflop122 wrote:I attempted to build a PCp
:idea: I think i remember now what i forgot to add to the abandoned projects

i attempted also to build a PCp it, but i only had normal atx mother boards and not enough hardware for start the project, i also get impresed with the motherboard main power stuff, so i abandoned inmediatly the project with no luck.

at least today i got a "normal latop" (well for this normal latop i disambled about 7 broken latops , and i get the working stuff from them and then i made on that work, i also has a bit hard because the most of latops piezes are not compatible with another latops, so i get also some piezes from an official web site,i was also angry with the battery, so i decided upgreade it soldering some individual cells to the battery box, now the battery action time is arround 2x before :P.
I also aded a mini-pci wireless card extracted from a router. then i plugged in into the latop minipci slot and i aded an external sma connector for the antena in the back side of the latop using a ufl-sma pig-tail, i only need upload the photos of the finished latop)