Well, my book was STOLEN

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

*Guest*
Well, my book was STOLEN

Post by *Guest* » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:37 am

Now I'm not a memeber here. However, I've been visiting Ben's site since about 2001 (before he had the benheck.com...what was it, classicgaming.com/vcsp?). For years I sat in awe at the portables he made. I then found this site and was even more amazed at the crowd of people who try this on their own. So I decided I'd try to build one myself. Thankfully, sometime later, Ben wrote a book. I knew I had to get one. So, January 7th, I pre-ordered my book. I awaited for February 14th to come. The emails I would get from Amazon indicated the package would be here between Feb 17th - 19th. Then I got a verification email sometime later saying it'd be here Feb 23. I was like okay. February 24th....still no book. I tracked it using the number....status said it was delivered. Well, skip to today, I talk to the USPS.....the mail carrier just left the package on the front door. Here's the problem: 1) I live at an apartment complex and 2) My room mate and I were both at work at the said time of delivery. So needless to say, someone stole it. But this isn't the first or second time we've lost a package. Nope, this is the third time someone stole our packages. I don't know why the mail people can't leave a pink slip saying they missed us. According to them, they don't have to wait for someone to come to the door if the package doesn't require a signature. So, I'm very pissed because 1) I'm out about $23 and 2) the book I awaited for for so long was stolen. I went out and bought TWO Playstation screens just so I could try to build a portable psp (2 just in case one fried). I have a playstation ready and everything. Now I have no book. So my question is: what to do? Yeah I could order another book, but man I'm just a little ticked off about ordering anything now. I'll probably wind up and buy another one and get it shipped UPS instead of USPS (hey, third time is a charm...I don't want a 4th package stolen). Oh well. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please respond, cause I'm a little ticked off right now...okay MORE than a little ticked off.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:40 am

Sorry to hear that.

Ironmaiden13

Post by Ironmaiden13 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:42 am

that sucks :(

poor book :lol:
w00000t

its.....PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!

*Guest*

Post by *Guest* » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:22 am

Decided to register :) Anyways, yeah I'm quite ticked about it. I left a note for the mailman telling them we'll pick up the packages from now on if it won't fit in the mailbox. Another couple that lives here had their CD player stolen from their vehicle, so I dunno if it'd be the same person(s) or what. What's sad is we live in the first apartment place, so if a box is left people can see that badboy. A lot of people walk by it to.....so yeah, we've got the best chance of something getting stolen. UPS from now on I tell you what!

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:33 am

:cry: Poor book.... I guess you'll just have to build a portable the old fashioned way!

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:27 pm

I feel really sorry for you, I know what it feels like to waste money, its happened to me.

I was saving up about £20 once, to buy a dreamcast, the guys in the shop said it was fine, well, according to them it was, but I spend about £45 on a Dreamcast, Accessories and Games, and what happened, I took it home, only to realize the CD drive was bust and the VMU's having a battery completely ran out and missing the cover cap, that pissed me off, it took me a long time to save up that money, and i'm not gonna forget the bastards who sold me it.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:09 pm

couldn't you return it, or at least try?
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

*Guest*

Post by *Guest* » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:24 pm

The only positive thing I can look at is this: last year, when my room mates package was stolen, it contained over $80 of stuff, including a soldering iron. So if the same person who stole that stole my book, maybe they'll make a portable. :P I know it's stupid, but I can't stay mad cause that won't change anything at all.

MasterChieff44

your troubles

Post by MasterChieff44 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:57 pm

buy it from somewhere like barnes and noble, that way you just have the book in your hand and you take it right home

Current Projest: SnesP
Stage: eBay

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:36 pm

You could set out a package as bait and try to catch the thief red-handed :D .

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:53 pm

I was thinking of the same thing :)

makuraken

Post by makuraken » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:38 am

Ok, this is what you do. Take a cardboard box, put a switch on it that would activate whenever anything moved it, then power goes to a wireless camera that transmitts to a VCR in your apartment. Then you not only have a recording of who took it, but if you put a mic, voices as well. After that happens take the evidence to the police or something because ten to one says you got the same guy. Tell them your story and see if they cant get a warrant to search the apartment of the person for your other missing belongings. If you do it right, you can get them in trouble for stealing your mail in the first place (for that box) and if they have the other stuff, they get in trouble for that as well. BAM, you just kicked it up a notch.

EDIT: You may want to talk to authorities first, I dont know where you live, and every state has different rules pertaining to everything. So be safe and ask first.
When in Japan with access to just about every system ever made and those that have yet to see international soil, gather your forces, and make the cool ones your own.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:41 am

But the same guy wont always take the package. If I was walking by mught take a package and the next day someone else will. You dig?

*Guest*

Post by *Guest* » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:56 pm

I've thought of setting a box outside and waiting to catch the thief. However, like someone said, it might not even be the same person. But at least I could bust them :P Btw, we don't have a Barnes and Noble, but we do have a Hastings and Books a Million...think either one carries the book?

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Im not someone someone is building a battle bot