gp2x project progress

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
gp2x project progress

Post by Triton » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:36 am

as some of you know i recently bought a gp2x from myersn024 for the purpous of modification, so far i have the dpad about ready to go in for testing! here are the before and after pics

before
http://www.austinbull.com/gp2x/gp2x_1.jpg

after
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8018/gp2xog5.jpg

DK

Post by DK » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:57 am

Very suave and i don't blame ya. The GP2X had the worst D-Pad ever made.

Can you shrink the pics tho?

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:39 am

Looking good, man! Keep us posted, and keep the pics coming. I love seeing the work that people on this forum churn out. I'd mod stuff if I could, but I lack the patience and finesse.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am

The space in the GP2x for a D-pad mobo is very tight, it might be a good idea to raise the D-pad area a bit by cutting a circle around the D-pad cross from the NES (it looks like a NES cross you are using) and bonding this to the GP2x case instead. Just a suggestion, but it should be easier then to put a small D-pad mobo inside the GP2x and not have directions sticking when you use the system. (I am fairly active on the GP2x forum).

Anyway, yes, the GP2x benefits from a D-pad!

Coming on nicely.

khaag

Post by khaag » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:35 pm

That's a SNES dpad though. Nice work so far! :)
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:30 pm

Impressive, Triton! The GP2X really needs a better D-pad, and you just gave it one! Very clean case mod, as your stuff always seems to be!
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:39 pm

ill resize the pics next year :lol: it still needs a bit of sanding but i dont think there will be any fitament problems as far as i can tell, we will see i guess

DK

Post by DK » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:42 am

Yay, small pictures :D

Oh and I added your project to the projects sticky :)

And :shock: I moaned at a mod, don't block me :wink:

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:02 am

I mentioned about the gap inside the GP2x between the GP2x mobo and the D-pad cross for two reasons, from others who have done this mod on the GP2x forum and used a GameCube or NES controller / similar:

1) By the time you put the small controller mobo on top of the GP2x mobo and make it level above the tiny components present, and put the contact rubbers in place, the space can be cramped and therefore, when you use the D-pad in a game, can have a bias to press a direction more than others (annoying). Mind you, if you shave the height of the controller mobo right down to a sliver it might make the required difference.

2) You will probably need to shave off quite a lot of the controller contact mobo so it fits in the space and so you can get the edges of the GP2x case to close, and probably have to shave some of the contact pad rubber too. This can also affect how good a button presses of course.

One other point (bit late now I guess): Using a smaller mobo and cross (eg GBA one) would be easier to work with and reduce the size of the cross hole on the GP2x case - so when you press Right during a game, your thumb isn't over onto the screen itself.

I know the pic shows the newer GP2x F200, but principle is the same for the older GP2x:

Whilst using a proper D-pad on the GP2x is certainly beneficial, there are some games which don't play too well, like side-scrolling shoot-em-ups, where you need to move in all directions quickly and instinctively; moving to a diagonal with a D-pad is fine but not as quick or as smooth an operation as per pressing a normal direction (which is what I am referring to). If you don't like side-scrolling shoot-em-ups, you will definitely benefit from this mod and will find it worthwhile.

Personally, I find the joystick on the MKI GP2x's a pain and you definitely need to do a d-pad mod with these, however I find the stock joystick on the MKII GP2x's acceptable (different bias) so I modded my old (long dead) MKI model ages ago and haven't bothered to mod my MKII one since I got it.

Anyway, wish you every success and keep us posted with your conclusions and progress!
Last edited by bacteria on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:29 pm

I like it, would look flush if you filled in the areas near the d-pad.. if you don't know what I mean, I mean the circle area near the d-pad.

The new GP2X has a nice d-pad :)

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:24 pm

i might fill that in, havent decided yet lol