My personal experience with Vista.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamer2
My personal experience with Vista.

Post by gamer2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:28 am

You heard of Vista? Who hasn't? Its supposed to replace XP as the primary OS on IBM style computers.

More like crap!

My mothers significant other got a brand new Dell machinem, litterally its not even 1 month old. It sports a moniter that is 1 laserdisc tall, and 2 laserdiscs wide (1ft X 2ft), its nucking futs. Its really nice when you stand back but what really gets me is that it has windows vista.

As my computer sits in the other room, preparing Video files to be made into DVDs, I am on this machine doing my HW. I go to do research for my project, IE crashes. I go to watch a video, Windows Media wont play it. I go to play a game during a break, all thats on here is World of Warcraft (not mine, I swear).

I tell you, if this is the best Microsoft can come up with, I am not impressed. I know the IE crashing thing can be fixed with an Install of Firefox, but its not my computer and its not right to download stuff on someone elses computer. Its so damned annoying, infact it crashes randomly. To tell the truth, I had to write this down in word pad just to keep from losing the info as it has crashed 5 times in the time it has taken me to write this post.

This has to be the WORST operating system since 3.1, really.

The interface is lousy, too many folders for things. As the AVGN nerd once said "It's just one big crap sandwedge, and we all have to take a bite".

any comments?

*crashed 10 times*

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:34 am

Thats why I am sticking with XP! =D

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:44 am

My XP looks like Vista. Thats as far as I'll go.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:22 am

My XP looks like 2000 except for the icons, start menu, and slightly lighter color scheme! :D

One thing I'm really pissed off about Vista is that they didn't even try to make Classic Mode look presentable. Instead it's a space-wasting clapped together pile of it. Also the gadget column on the right side of the screen is screw pointless. There's already a clock in the system tray. Why do I need a 500x500 clock in the top corner of the screen as well? It's just a bad knockoff of OSX's desk accessories that pop up when you press a hotkey(not sure what they call them now but they were called "desk accessories" back in System 7). I really don't give two crap about how shiny my desktop is; I just want it to work. Ooh the windows fly around in 3D and you can see through them! Woo-hoo. All it does is take up more space than necessary and slow the system down.

I've played around with the laptops in Circuit City; if you set Vista to Classic Mode, set the Start menu to the old style, and disable the "gadget bar", you can hardly tell that it's not Windows 2000. (One time I left one like that and a short while later I saw someone look at it and say "I don't want this one, it's old." :lol:)

Classic mode with all the visual effects disabled but solid dragging and drop shadows FTW! :P

I feel the same about beryl or compiz or whatever the copulate Linux nerds call their 3D desktop systems. Sure, windows that look like they're made of Jell-O are fun for a while but I think it gets annoying after a while.

I also don't like how Vista simplified and watered down the control panel. Why would I want to go through 5 "wizard" pages just to get to a display properties tab that hasn't changed since Windows 98?!

Vista ia a lot like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray: nobody cares about them because everyone loves their predecessors. (Well, people who know what they're talking about generally say "stick with Xp unless your new computer comes with it". It's the Wal-Mart-shopping eMachines-buying Joe Sixpacks of this world that think Vista's far better just because it's new.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:55 am

bicostp wrote:My XP looks like 2000 except for the icons, start menu, and slightly lighter color scheme! :D

One thing I'm really pissed off about Vista is that they didn't even try to make Classic Mode look presentable. Instead it's a space-wasting clapped together pile of it. Also the gadget column on the right side of the screen is screw pointless. There's already a clock in the system tray. Why do I need a 500x500 clock in the top corner of the screen as well? It's just a bad knockoff of OSX's desk accessories that pop up when you press a hotkey(not sure what they call them now but they were called "desk accessories" back in System 7). I really don't give two crap about how shiny my desktop is; I just want it to work. Ooh the windows fly around in 3D and you can see through them! Woo-hoo. All it does is take up more space than necessary and slow the system down.

I've played around with the laptops in Circuit City; if you set Vista to Classic Mode, set the Start menu to the old style, and disable the "gadget bar", you can hardly tell that it's not Windows 2000. (One time I left one like that and a short while later I saw someone look at it and say "I don't want this one, it's old." :lol:)

Classic mode with all the visual effects disabled but solid dragging and drop shadows FTW! :P

I feel the same about beryl or compiz or whatever the screw Linux nerds call their 3D desktop systems. Sure, windows that look like they're made of Jell-O are fun for a while but I think it gets annoying after a while.

I also don't like how Vista simplified and watered down the control panel. Why would I want to go through 5 "wizard" pages just to get to a display properties tab that hasn't changed since Windows 98?!

Vista ia a lot like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray: nobody cares about them because everyone loves their predecessors. (Well, people who know what they're talking about generally say "stick with Xp unless your new computer comes with it". It's the Wal-Mart-shopping eMachines-buying Joe Sixpacks of this world that think Vista's far better just because it's new.
Damn right, just because something is new, dont make it better a la The Star Wars Special Editions/2006 DVD releases

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:38 am

you know what bugs me? Apparently, nobody knows how to copulate spell "sandwich"

But yes, vista sucks. My father got it for free, and I still don't get why he even uses it. It has literally made more trouble than improvements. In fact, ONLY trouble.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:17 pm

It's not THAT bad. I got it with my new PC. It was frustrating at first, so much so that I dual-booted XP. Since, I've deleted the partition of XP and just use Vista. I experienced some compatibility problems and crashing the first month or so, but since, I've had absolutely no problems. In other words, you'll get over it. Besides, you're gonna have to upgrade to it anyways after support for XP gets dropped, so why delete it?

CTFan

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:43 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote: Besides, you're gonna have to upgrade to it anyways after support for XP gets dropped, so why delete it?
why?! Dont buy into that crap. Microsoft is just trying to scare people into buying vista.

Besides, support was extended through to April 2014 :P

Too many corporate customers wanted to keep xp around (probably so they dont have to buy 3000 new computers, xp works fine, etc.)

[Extended support is the same as normal, except it does not include

non-security hotfixes
free "incident support" (oh no)
warranty claims ("i downloaded it and it didnt wok!11")
Feature requests.]

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:53 pm

timmeh87 wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote: Besides, you're gonna have to upgrade to it anyways after support for XP gets dropped, so why delete it?
why?! Dont buy into that crap. Microsoft is just trying to scare people into buying vista.
It'll happen sooner than that. With all new PCs shipping with Vista, and the majority of the market not being technically savvy enough to downgrade to XP, Vista will be the mainstream OS of choice in no time flat. And again, I say, it's not that bad. It's got a few nicer features from XP, it sure as hell looks better, and it runs all my programs and games perfectly. So what's the big fuss?

CTFan

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Well if the main draw is the shiny new interface, I'll pass. Like I said, Classic Mode FTW.

Vista's major obstacle will be the corporate market, which is currently keeping XP alive. Since they completely revamped the driver system, many legacy devices that may still be in use and essential utilities may not run on Vista.

Besides, I'm not afraid of Microsoft not putting out patches. I run Service Pack 1a! :twisted: If you aren't stupid with your computer there's nothing to fear.

HazmatB

Post by HazmatB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:46 pm

No one here has even highlighted the main problem with Vista! DRM. The operating system has the functionality to monitor your behavior, and even disallow continued use if it doesn't like what you are doing!

All modern OSs self monitor I know, but the OS should not have the power to lock down functions. That is crap. I say copulate Vista.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:13 pm

bicostp wrote:My XP looks like 2000 except for the icons, start menu, and slightly lighter color scheme! :D

I feel the same about beryl or compiz or whatever the screw Linux nerds call their 3D desktop systems. Sure, windows that look like they're made of Jell-O are fun for a while but I think it gets annoying after a while.

Amen, Bic.

I use Classic Mode in XP as well (I don't like an interface that looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price). Vista's interface is just really *copulate* unnecessarily "shiny" and "pretty", aka trying to mimic OS X.

Everything in Vista assumes are a complete idiot. (Vista in a nutshell: "Are you sure?" "This will affect your computer in some way. Are you really sure?" "This program is trying to access you computer to apply the changes that you yourself specified; allow or block?" "Are you sure?" *crashes*)

I have had to deal with Vista several times on other people's computers, and I have to say that I refuse to run it on a computer that I own. I'm sticking with dual-booting XP and Linux (Please no anti-Linux rants, Bic) on my current computers, and any new computer that I will buy in the future.

Have you noticed that Microsoft lately has been emphasizing the interface of stuff, and their software has suffered because of it? (Case in point: Vista, Office '07, the Zune software, etc)
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Well, I had Vista installed once. It was installed for only 3 months before I finally snapped because half my programs wouldn't work and the framerate loss i got in some games.

XP is superior.

Oh, and this is funny: Vista is pirated half as much and M$ takes that as positive thinking when really all the piraters know Vista sucks and XP is much better, and it's not because of security, because Vista is just as easy to crack as XP.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:20 pm

My moms Acer Aspire Laptop has Windows Vista Home Premium in it.
Unlike most of you, I like Vista. But the only major problem I had with my moms Acer Laptop however. Was when I was using Media Center one time and all of a sudden the Touch Pad stopped working. And had to restart the laptop it get the touch pad to work again. But other that that I have had no problems with Vista.

But I wouldn't dare put Vista on my desktop right now because I'm using too much ram as it is. I only have 512MB of ram in Desktop. Thats why I have this Vista Theme(skin) for Aston Shell which I got from giveaway of the day:

And I'm using less ram than regular Windows XP while using this theme(skin) for Aston Shell :P .

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:37 pm

You guys do realize that you can turn "User Access Control" off in Vista right? :wink:

That eliminates the annoying "are you sure" boxes that pop up at any rate.

I've been using Vista at home for better part of a year without issue. I just started using it at work a little over a week ago and it has been fine thus far.

The only oddity I noticed was that Device Manager looked like everything was installed at a glance without any warning signs displayed. Then, when I went to use the wireless, I realized the driver wasn't installed. Strange, but true.

All that aside, I would say that if you are using XP and happy with it there really aren't any compelling reasons to move to Vista. Only use it if you either win it, or get it on a new PC you purchase.

And as Bic said, you'll see the major shift to Vista happen when the Corporate world moves to it. The consumer market is a small slice of the pie for MS. The Corporate licensing is where it's at.

Just two cents from an IT guy...