SNES Laptop?!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

AikaInnet
SNES Laptop?!

Post by AikaInnet » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:22 pm

I was thinking about making an SNES Laptop and this is what I have so far, using an SNES Mini board, and if I could get one to work, a nice Laptop screen. If that doesn't work, I will go with something more simple.

Yay Paint.

--Possible 2 player support
--Run off of batteries (unknown amount) Probably AA but if I can get a laptop battery to work, even better :D
--Headphone ports for 2 players. For that lovely stereo sound.

Thats it at the moment

DK

Post by DK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:31 pm

Won't the game cart get in the way of the the screen:S

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:35 pm

DK wrote:Won't the game cart get in the way of the the screen:S
Tell me about it... >_>

Neat concept, I guess, but I really don't see the point of making a laptop out of such an old system, especially one with no keyboard support. It'd be big and clunky, why not just make a smaller handheld with the same features? Then again, it would probably be a fairly easy first project, as there's no controller PCB to split, a lot more room for wiring/batteries, etc. So on second thought, I guess it'd be pretty neat. Though no matter what, you're going to need to relocate the cart slot, so I'd keep that in mind as well when you're planning this all out. Good luck!

CTFan

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 pm

If you flip the SNES mini's board upside down, you could just move the screen down and easily make it into a handheld. Then the cartridge would stick out the back, and it would be easy to hold.

AikaInnet

Post by AikaInnet » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 am

Is there any way I could make it a slot loader? Like an old time Tape drive?

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:47 am

i think a laptop style would work good for some consoles the SNES mini included. just set it up like the GBA SP with buttons on there. it could mean a smaller and more efficient design.

also i dont think you have the knowledge to make the thing you are planning, you cant even use a laptop screen because that sort of thing is not possible without an LCD controller.

AikaInnet

Post by AikaInnet » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:58 pm

No, I admit, I do not have the knowledge to make this, which is why I'm tackling it in my mind and on this forum before going out and trying it straight on.

For a clarification, when I say laptop, I mean something that I can sit on my lap and play snes, not something that I could run windows or linux on as well as snes games (If I was going to do something like that, I would just buy a converter for my snes controller and download roms.)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 pm

AikaInnet wrote:For a clarification, when I say laptop, I mean something that I can sit on my lap and play snes, not something that I could run windows or linux on as well as snes games (If I was going to do something like that, I would just buy a converter for my snes controller and download roms.)
I can almost guarantee that no one here assumed that's what you meant. :lol:

As for making this a front-loader, it's possible, but as I stated before, you'd have to do cart slot relocation. In essence, you desolder all 60+ pins on the cartridge slot, solder them back on with wires, and place the slot where you wish on the system. If you've never soldered before, it can be quite the chore, and does require some very fine soldering, so it's not recommended for starters, especially on a first project.

I'm still curious as to why you're so dead-set on having this thing be a laptop if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth. There are some REALLY nice designs that don't require moving it around, like these two:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=17124
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=19138

They've got all the features yours have and more, not to mention they didn't have to relocate the cart slot. If you really want to stick with the external controller theme without having to deal with relocating the cart slot, I whipped this up, see if it helps.

CTFan

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:13 pm

those other SNES things seem fairly well made but they really should have flattened out the cartridge slot, if for no other reason than for increased respect.

also, even though i know you will never get anywhere with your project you should stick with a GBASP clamshell style.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:29 pm

illustriouschin wrote:those other SNES things seem fairly well made but they really should have flattened out the cartridge slot, if for no other reason than for increased respect.

also, even though i know you will never get anywhere with your project you should stick with a GBASP clamshell style.
Y'know, for someone who's never even contributed to the portablizing community, you sure are pretty critical of other people's work. :roll:

CTFan

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:49 pm

illustriouschin wrote:those other SNES things seem fairly well made but they really should have flattened out the cartridge slot, if for no other reason than for increased respect.

Ah, but have you seen my second portable SNES? I say keep it easy for one's first time - if I had tackled that for my first portable it would have worn me out.

Furthermore, don't be a meanie.

I personally don't think a GBASP clamshell design would be comfortable at all on the scale of an SNES mini. A "very portable" SNES case design would do just fine. If done well, it could be made with the dimensions of 4 1/2" W X 6 1/2" L (although it would be a tight fit) with a badass flip-up screen on a hinge with speakers built into the lid. Actually, that would be fun to make...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:37 am

what if it was a reverse clamshell, like so...

notice the buttons in the middle and the cartridge slot on the back. i drew it real shaky not because i got brain problems but because i though you guys would appreciate the gouged up edges of things.

sammy

Post by sammy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:11 am

How the hell are you supposed to put your hands on that:?:

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:28 am

you just grab it baby :x

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:52 am

Your idea sucks.