Favorite PC programs?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:34 pm

ghosstt wrote:My PC can't run anything worth buying. It has an intergrated GFX chip
Sure it can! There are a ton of great classic graphic adventures out there that will run just fine on your machine.

But if you are looking for other fun and/or useful applications:

vim (www.vim.org) is a great text editor. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn to get around in it, it is great. It is particularly useful if you write code.

Octave (www.octave.org) is a relatively small, mostly Matlab-compatible work environment. I use Matlab all the time, but octave is just fine if you don't need the crazy toolboxes that I do. It's not exactly feature-rich, but if you have any reason to be doing a lot of discrete math, it's pretty good.

You can always run folding@home or seti@home if you want to feel useful.

Microsoft currently has a free, stripped-down version of Visual Studio (or maybe it's just Visual C++) available if you go looking for it.

Or, if you want to mess around with Java you can download jGrasp. It's a pretty user-friendly IDE, though you have to download the compiler separately. It's not much trouble to get running.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Benol, i already have made many games in GM7. I think i might try and learn some GML though.

benol

Post by benol » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:07 pm

Did you play mine yet? Uber Boulder Eater IV is in the works. (It's IV instead of 4 because 4 looks stupid in a title.)
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Pivot stick figure animation... :D

My Animations

Quite a long time ago I made that website on a whim.

- Juice 8)

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 pm

QBasic :P

SUPER (eRightsoft)

And I'm sure you could run something like Red Alert 2 or C&C gold--which is free now.
Valve is the best company.