Where to Post?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Skyone
Where to Post?

Post by Skyone » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of out-of-place topics being posted, generally because people are unaware of other forums. :P

• 1) As stated in the News sticky, the only topics to be posted in the News forums are Ben's news and finished portables. If you are still in the progress of creating a portable (work log), post it in the appropriate forum (SNES, N64, etc.). There have also recently been a few threads posted in the News forum about general topics of gaming such the latest news in the gaming/electronic world.
    • The News forum is for news regarding your projects and Ben's projects, not for anything else.
    2) The Forum 42 is no longer a place to ask questions regarding anything electrical! The Technical Questions and Answers forum was created for just that, questions and answers referring to anything technical (yes, that means computers too, software and hardware).
    • The Technical Questions and Answers forum is for asking questions and receiving answers regarding anything technical.
    3) Finally, anything regarding video games (console specific) should be placed in the appropriate forum. There have been threads about console games posted in the Forum 42 lately.
    • Although the forums' descriptions may be misleading, please post anything related to console specific gaming in the matching forum, not the Forum 42!
Thanks for reading this all, just want to keep a bit more order. I doubt you'll be punished for posting in the wrong forum, but do us all a favor and follow these guidelines. :)

Enjoy the forums!
-Skyone

EDIT:
I must have moved at least sixty threads that were posted in the Forum 42 that belong in the Technical Questions and Answers forum, and frankly, I'm kind of fed up. :P If you do post it here in the 42 instead of the Q&A forum, your thread will be locked or deleted (if it is deleted, I'll PM you your post contents so you can post it elsewhere).
Last edited by Skyone on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:59 pm

Just a question where would we put ideas for portable modding ideas and stuff like that??

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 pm

Nonsense Man wrote:Just a question where would we put ideas for portable modding ideas and stuff like that??
General ideas on portablization: Probably F42

Modding an already existing portable(Ex:psp): Currently F42, but could use a seperate forum.

SS

Edit over a year later: Holy crap,we got handheld forums!
Last edited by ShockSlayer on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Right. Until we get a portable hacking forum, throw it in the Forum 42 or possibly the Tech Q&A.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Skyone wrote:Right. Until we get a portable hacking forum, throw it in the Forum 42 or possibly the Tech Q&A.
So one is on the way? O_o
So F42 is now for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else (like the pet threads), that'll make it easier to find tech post if they're in Tech Q&A, so they won't go to the second page after a day and be lost forever.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:07 am

I thought I would bring this up from "Rule Thread 4.0 Superlite"
Lucretius wrote:From word of Ben comes the final definition of what spam is and what is the purpose of forum 42. Behold, mortals, and tremble, for I am the word of BEN! *giggles*
Ben wrote: What is Spam?
Spam is comments that have nothing to do with gaming, modding, or anything people on the site tend to be interested in. Spam usually consists of a statement with no reason for discussion. If a person asks for advice with a topic, then that's OK. This is a DISCUSSION board not a statement board. Bring in topics that invite thought and communication.

What is Forum 42 for?
Forum 42 is a place to have fun (within the guidelines above) and discuss anything not covered by the other forums. Want to discuss a new game? Planning to build a custom system? Kirk VS Picard? (cough KIRK) This is the place!
Boy I hope that clears up any misconceptions that might have been formed. We'll try to change 42's description to reflect this sentiment more acurately.
So it would appear that Ben says that Forum 42 is the place for discussing new games. I asked him about it a couple of months ago and he still holds this opinion. You can ask him yourself if you wish.

Not trying to make waves. Just trying to help clarify what Forum 42's purpose is.

Link to thread referenced above: http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11767

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Thu May 31, 2007 12:46 pm

Just wondering, as I've seen it quite a lot fairly recently.

If someone wants to build a portable for another member, or if someone wants someone else to build a portable for them, where do you post? The Trading Post, or the relevant forum (eg. Nintendo 8-bit for a NESp etc?). I would assume The Trading Post, but a clarification would be good.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu May 31, 2007 1:16 pm

It would be suggested that you post any requests to build or buy portables should be made in their respected forums. If there is a complete portable that's being sold the Trading Post is where it belongs.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:54 pm

I must have moved at least sixty threads that were posted in the Forum 42 that belong in the Technical Questions and Answers forum, and frankly, I'm kind of fed up. :P If you do post it here in the 42 instead of the Q&A forum, your thread will be locked or deleted (if it is deleted, I'll PM you your post contents so you can post it elsewhere).

Thanks guys.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:54 pm

Another update - no one cares that a forum is to "slow" or doesn't get enough reads. Your topic belongs where it belongs.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:44 am

Skyone wrote:Another update - no one cares that a forum is to "slow" or doesn't get enough reads. Your topic belongs where it belongs.
I just want to emphasize this point, since it's come up a few times. We don't care if a forum is "dead", and posting topics where they don't belong doesn't help that problem. Topics belong where they belong, not a forum that's "more alive" and "close enough".

benol

Post by benol » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Is there a way to encourage people to post there? That might help the problem!
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

nitro2k01

Re: Where to Post?

Post by nitro2k01 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Skyone wrote:
  • Although the forums' descriptions may be misleading, please post anything related to console specific gaming in the matching forum, not the Forum 42!
You're right that they are misleading. The top caption Console projects" might make you think these forums are only for mod projects.
Suggestion: Change "Console projects" to something less misleading. :D
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Its a darn same that people can't read anymore.
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

underclocked

Post by underclocked » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 pm

It's a darn shame that some people can't spell anymore also. :P