Radica Compatibility testing...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:07 pm

@SgtBowhack - I've tried three different PSU's... :?

1. The JAP MegaCD PSU (200v 50Hz 1.0A 9v 17W)
2. An original Megadrive 1 PSU (240v 50Hz 1.2A 9v)
3. A third party Megadrive 1 PSU (240v 50Hz 1.0A 9v)

However, I've found out WHY the Mega CD won't work with a European Megadrive (1601-06) or Asian Megadrive (1601-11). :roll:

The more astute of you will notice that I've posted "JAP MegaCD" above - that's right! :twisted:

It seems the eBay seller I bought it from just packaged a NORMAL JAP Mega CD in an Asian MegaCD box - ASSWIPE! :x :evil:

Sure enough, on the box reads :roll: : -

ASIAN PAL version - Model No: MK-1690-11 :?

Whereas on the bottom of the Mega CD it reads...

Model No: HAA-2910 for use with Megadrive HAA-2510 :?
Power rating: 18W

By the way, does a JAP Mega CD need a step-down convertor? :?:

Or will it work off of a U.K. Megadrive 1 / Mega CD 1 PSU? :?:

Other (somewhat related) news... :P

I REPAIRED MY JAP RADICA!!! :shock:

After replacing a capacitor and fixing over 20 or so solder pads / tracks. :shock:
Then I re-attached the JAP 'glop-ROM' and the video leads and controller leads! :shock:

HUZZAH! it works! :D 8)

Unfortunately, the insides are a TOTAL mess - so it will remain 'looking' like it originally was in a standard Radica case for collection purposes. :wink:

Still - it was a MIRACLE I managed to repair it (trust me, the insides are NOT pleasant - wires and links EVERYWHERE!) :shock:

Anyhow, I'll keep y'all updated about the Mega CD... :P :roll:
-=MOD or DIE=-

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:39 pm

Ah-ha. Yeah, I don't think it'll work without a stepdown. Still, it is likely a problem with your power supply *does a little dance* :)
Hope you didn't fry it in the meantime...
Good luck with it :) Finding a stepdown shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:10 am

Another game for me to test if I get one now... Urban Strike, bought it yesterday, its a pretty good game.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:13 am

I already have a stepdown convertor...question is what is the PSU I need for a JAP MegaCD? :?:

The guy who sold it to me gave me an ASIAN PSU...which is pretty useless since it also runs on something similar to 240V (200V - see last post) :roll:

@SgtBowhack - can you find out what the JAP Megadrive 1 / MegaCD 1 PSU Spec.'s are? :?:

Thanx... :wink:
-=MOD or DIE=-

Red5

Post by Red5 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:05 am

My UK MK1 uses 10V @ 1.2A

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:36 pm

Sounds about right. I'd say anything around 1A and around 9V would probably do the trick. I'm using a 1A 10V to test PC Engine CD-ROMs now...
Wait a sec... why would you need a stepdown? If it puts out 9v it puts out 9v... I obviously made a booboo.
It could be that you're still too weak on the amperage I suppose... or it's dead :(

goodie

Post by goodie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:45 pm

Kinda off topic, but are the pirate GOAC's quality any better (or worse) than the Radica? How about the game compatibility?
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:12 pm

@SgtBowhack - heh, I thought I wouldn't need a stepdown! :roll:
After all, the stepdown is only necessary for the PSU to work, not the system itself! :P
i.e. - if the PSU is a JAP model - you need a stepdown! :wink:

There are three possibilities... :?

1. Too low Ampage (the largest Ampage PSU I have is 1.2A) :?
2. Barely too low Wattage - JAP MegaCD = 18W (one of my PSU's is 17W - grr!) :x
3.It's FUBAR... :evil:

Anyhow, we'll just have to wait and see... :roll:

@Goodie - older pirate GOAC's probably have a poorer build quality (like the Genesis 3 that came in a controller). And the game compatibility is probably the same. :?

One such unit 'bucks' this trend (saw one for sale on eBay recently...) It's called the "Dreamstar" and is built into a Dreamcast controller. :shock:
It has all the amenities of a Megadrive 1 (RGB, cart slot, Stereo, second controller port) but it's teeny too! Build quality isn't too bad either! :D

@Red5 - dude, you xerox-ed my earlier post! :lol:
@paulpsomiadis wrote: 2. An original Megadrive 1 PSU (240v 50Hz 1.2A 9v)
:roll:
-=MOD or DIE=-

goodie

Post by goodie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:16 pm

paulpsomiadis wrote: One such unit 'bucks' this trend (saw one for sale on eBay recently...) It's called the "Dreamstar" and is built into a Dreamcast controller. :shock:
It has all the amenities of a Megadrive 1 (RGB, cart slot, Stereo, second controller port) but it's teeny too! Build quality isn't too bad either! :D
Wow, I should get me one of those. :D Too bad I wasted $40 on this Radica. Oh well, I'll use it for something...

EDIT: Do you know of anywhere I could order one? I couldn't find any sites that mention it.

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:23 am

@Goodie - only in Japan matey! :cry:

It is EXTREMELY rare, as it's not officially licenced...you might want to ask @SgtBowhack if he's seen any... :wink:

To be honest I was REALLY lucky to even spot one on eBay - just don't have the cash at the moment (I'm gonna' have to sell all of these carts I've been testing to get some cash back...) :shock:

L8R folks! 8)
-=MOD or DIE=-

SgtBowhack

Post by SgtBowhack » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:42 am

Never seen one in Japan. Are you sure it's not a China-made thing? The only unlicensed Genesis I've seen here is the Game Joy (which costs between $30-$40 and is shaped exactly like a Genesis 3 with a smaller motherboard).

az_bont

Post by az_bont » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:07 pm

goodie wrote:I just picked up a Radica Volume II today. Its the red one that has Sonic 2.
If you don't mind me asking, how does it get around the fact that the original game featured support for two players? The title screen allows you to select a versus mode, but as far as I'm aware, the Radica Volume II still only has one controller. Is it simply removed or what?

paulpsomiadis

Post by paulpsomiadis » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:11 pm

@SgtBowhack - hmm...you could be correct... :?

Not like I'd know though - I've only ever seen the one unit two weeks ago on eBay... :roll:

@az_bont - The versus mode is still in there. But as you pointed out - the Radica has only one controller - so you can select 2P versus, just with only one player...ah well! :roll:
-=MOD or DIE=-

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:30 pm

Ed Wood presents 'Radica Compatibility Testing: The Topic That Wouldn't Die"

goodie

Post by goodie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:48 pm

paulpsomiadis wrote:@Goodie - only in Japan matey! :cry:

It is EXTREMELY rare, as it's not officially licenced...you might want to ask @SgtBowhack if he's seen any... :wink:

To be honest I was REALLY lucky to even spot one on eBay - just don't have the cash at the moment (I'm gonna' have to sell all of these carts I've been testing to get some cash back...) :shock:

L8R folks! 8)
:(
Well, if you are fortunate enough to find one again, let me know. (That is, if you don't want it. :wink: )