Calling All Portabilizers!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jeffslot
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Calling All Portabilizers!

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 am

Hi guys,

This isn't an original idea, but I've been toying with it lately. Very quitely I've been selling a lot of my stuff on Ebay.
So I've raised a bit of funds. What I'm contemplating doing is the following:

1) Picking a portable project
2) Dividing several key tasks out to various board members
3) Monitoring progress & documenting (I'd like to create a nifty guide for newbees)
4) Basically acting as the project manager & providing all neccessary funds

For example, Maybe Skyone could work on the Battery System or Turbo_Tax could work on the Case design, or Marshallh can provide technical support, Bacteria would have to do something, etc.(Ultimately if the project is
a success, wouldn't it be cool if BH would do the graphics?) :shock:

I realize it would be much more cost effective to just hire someone to build something for me (or for that matter build it myself),
but I think it would be much cooler if we completed a team project.

Please let me know what you guys think & if you'd be interested in taking part. I can't pay a lot, but I do have a budget that
I'm willing to publish & part with if I can get enough interest. I'm serious about this.

Thanks

Jeff S.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 am

Intriguing, it would be quite nice if we could all pitch in to make an uber-portable... I'm down for it if others are. :)

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:52 am

Sweet.

Skyone is in. A moderator - hopefully that will lend a little bit of cred to this project. If we get a few more people, we'll have to decide what project to tackle - maybe via a poll..

Jeff
Last edited by jeffslot on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeglegJimmy

Post by PeglegJimmy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:04 am

Cool idea, I suggest you build something that not many people have made before. Would be funner because there's less documentation and a bigger team effort :D

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:43 am

Is there anyway I can help with this project?
PeglegJimmy wrote:Cool idea, I suggest you build something that not many people have made before. Would be funner because there's less documentation and a bigger team effort :D
How about something no one has made before. I have a old educational video game system called Socrates which was made by Vtech. The system came out back in 1988. One good thig about the system it could run off a wall adapter or batterys. Read the artical about it I made here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTech_Socrates . I doubt any of you would be intrested in doing a Socrates Portable though. But it was just a thought.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 am

Saturnp. Never been done (or at least all the way).

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:44 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great ideas. Let's not put the cart before the horse though. We need to get a minium of 3 (hopefully more like 5-6) very good portabilzers involved. Right now we only have one. So let's first see if we can get enough interest and then worry about what project to tackle.

Jeff S

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:59 am

Yeah guys! The cart goes in the cart slot! Silly people!

I'd pitch in bbut I'm in Canada, and shipping would be long and costly. Think 2-3 weeks and $12.75 to ship 1 kg or less.
Hey, sup?

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Kurt_

Don't worry about shipping - I'll be covering that. I've shipped to canada before & it hasn't been too bad. More importantly are you up to the task?

Jeff

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:34 pm

Since you're an American, I don't expect you to understand the Canadian border. It takes 2 weeks for small packages and usually 3 weeks for medium to large packages to reach me. TO the US it's about a week faster.

But if you can wait a half a month for a part to reach you, sure I'm up to the task. I'm short on money though, so don't give me anything expensive. :P

I'd feel better about this whole thing if you kept me as a backup.
Hey, sup?

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Ok, well I'm not going to co-erce anyone to be a part of my project. Still holding steady at 1 participant, if we can't get a couple more I'll have to scrap the idea for now.

Oh Yeah, did I mention I was going to pay the participants? I can't afford much, but I was thinking something along the lines of $8 an hour for time (under-the-table). I'd also have to probably limit that to an "estimate of hours" to complete the task so I don't run over budget.

Jeff

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:00 pm

depending on what you decide to build i may be interested in helping out, i work a lot tho so my free time is limited

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:38 pm

Triton,

If we could get you on board that would be super awesome! In order to help maintain my budget, I would have to build either - a yobo, NES, 2600, Dreamcast, SNES, GEnesis, N64, etc. Basically I want to cut down on some of the costs by using a system I have in stock. Are you in?

Jeff

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Ill sign on as a 'consultant' if you want. Maybe a 'designer'. I dont know about actually building anything, maybe kurt will do it.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

dragon

Post by dragon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Sounds like a good idea.

I havent finished a portable yet but i might be able to help figure out problems.