Strange SNESp problem. please help guys!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

poopiesman
Strange SNESp problem. please help guys!

Post by poopiesman » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:35 am

alright I know I havent been on the forum in a while, but I think you will all be happy to know that its because I have been working on my SNESp!!!

it works and has a case now,but here is the problem: It seems that the system sort of resets around a specific area of a game and I have no idea why. by "resets" I mean it goes right back to the beginning: as though the game were reset, even though I have the "permanently on" switch soldered like in bens book. I think it might be a heat problem, but I wouldn't know how to fix it if it was and figured Id ask first. the game keeps running, so it isnt a power problem, but doesnt seem to move on past a certain part in the game before it just restarts. the problem isnt isolated to one specific game either (see below)

I only have the second player port wired up when all this is happening, but I dont think that means anything... the SNES is getting power through the PSone screen, and Im using original controllers, not handbuilt ones like in bens book. do I need some sort of resistor or 7805 in between?

PS: it resets around round 5 of SF2, when the level title "zombie panic" comes up of Zombies Ate My Neighbors, when samus says "I first battled the metroids..." and. after someone scores a shot in NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, among other games.

sorry this is so long, but Im at my wits end on what is causing this! anyone else ever experience this? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Image"Help me get past this level title screen!" (ignore the 9v. this picture was taken awhile ago)
member #064

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:36 pm

Maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice? it drops under the required voltage for a few seconds.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:48 pm

Seems to be a power drop. Try using a wall adapter that is rated around .5 amps and whatever input voltage you are using.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Well if it always resets at the same part of the game, maybe it has something to do with the cart connector?

Check your connections

poopiesman

Post by poopiesman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:58 pm

well, im still working on it. the cartridge connector wasnt affected in the process of making it, so it might be the battery. Im using a 7.2v battery (this one actually:http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=2903)
so I dunno. I think Im covered on the power front since its 7.2v. Im going over all my wires testing the connections. Ill keep you guys updated, but I stil have yet to keep super metroid running. :(
member #064

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Look at the mah. Sorry didn't follow your link.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:31 pm

Time it. It sounds like it's either a hardware problem on the SNES board (something is accessed by the game but caused it to crash), or heat (it heats up, and after a certain amount of time it can't handle it anymore).

Hardware problem fixes: Remove cold solder joints, examine board, etc. If that doesn't work, replace it. As horrible as that is.

Heat fixes: Add a better heatsink, buy a DC/DC convertor (or a free TI sample), or replace some 7805's / add some new ones so they work less hard.
Hey, sup?

poopiesman

Post by poopiesman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:40 am

I think heat might be it,since short of replacing every wire done it all, including resoldering a lot of points. im loosely basing my stuff off bens book, and his hand built has no heat sink. Ill try bolting a hunk of metal on for a heat sink and see if that improves the problem. after that Ill try a replacement 7805.

Thanks!
member #064

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:46 pm

That might be it, yes. 7805's tend to have built in temperature sensors which shut the ic down if the temperature gets to high.