FC Twin Compatiblity Fix?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

tsunamikitsune
FC Twin Compatiblity Fix?

Post by tsunamikitsune » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Okay, so I understand that the FC Twin has some compatibility issues with certain SNES games (NES too, but those aren't as big a deal to me). I found a very short list on Wikipedia with the one game that I was looking forward to playing on it: Kirby Super Star. Quite possibly my favorite GAME ever, much less favorite SNES game is NOT compatible with the FC Twin.

The system was bought almost for the sole purpose of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 (which I assume works), but I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a system that plays NES and SNES when it only costs $30 more. I do own an original SNES, but for some reason, it no longer plays in color. No matter what cables I use or what games I play, the picture always appears in black and white, which really sucks for Kirby Super Star (or any game, for that matter).

I ask this without having any kind of knowledge about the inner workings of video game systems, but is there any possible way to use parts from the SNES in the FC Twin to make Kirby Super Star playable? I don't really know if anything like that is doable, but I bought the FC Twin because my SNES no longer works in color. If there's no way to do that, is there anyway to make my SNES work in color again?

SZF2001

Post by SZF2001 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:12 am

I was going to post a topic like this until I saw yours, too.

I'm also wondering - before I go out and get Metal Gear for NES, does it work on the Twin? Isn't the core NES parts basically a smaller Yobo NES?

tsunamikitsune

Post by tsunamikitsune » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Funny you should mention Metal Gear, since that's one of the few games I have for it. XD

I've only played it a little bit, but it seems to work just fine.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Why doesnt kirby work on it? Have you tried personally? Maybe it will work for you.

tsunamikitsune

Post by tsunamikitsune » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:31 pm

I don't actually have the game anymore, so I can't test it, but I hear that it's one of the few that doesn't work. I don't want to waste money buying it off the internet if it won't work. Although I haven't tried any pawn shops yet, so maybe I can find it for cheap.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:50 pm

No you cant chop some SNES parts and stick erm in a FC Twin. The way the FC Twin plays SNES games is completely different (through emulation) then what a normal SNES does.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

bipolar kid 3000
Location:in a world inside my head, filled with ideas for the future (techno stuff mind you!)

Post by bipolar kid 3000 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:55 pm

I have an fc twin and kirby superstar and it works fine, clean and crisp!
I swalow my gum because I'm to lazy to walk over to the trash can to throw it out

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Rekarp wrote:No you cant chop some SNES parts and stick erm in a FC Twin. The way the FC Twin plays SNES games is completely different (through emulation) then what a normal SNES does.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the FC Twin's SNES board had pretty much the same chipset as an SNES? So it's not really emulation then, is it?

CTFan

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:03 pm

If it was the same chipset then all games would work on it :wink:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 pm

I dunno but it might be fixed by putting the CRC from an original snes in the empty D411 space on the FC twin... At least that's what I always thaught was the problem with the system.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Rekarp wrote:If it was the same chipset then all games would work on it :wink:
It's definitely not emulation. That would be too expensive. It's pretty much just a hardware replica. Just not a perfect one (obviously), which is why some games have troubles running.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Also theres a slight change the makers ommited some lines to the cart slot to save costs. Also without the original docs it can be very hard to make a hardware clone.

Kenny_McCormic

Post by Kenny_McCormic » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:28 pm

The only reason the snes part cant play certain games is because there isnt a lock out chip. Theoretically you could rip a lock out chip from some crappy sports game and wire it into the fc twin.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:40 pm

I wonder why they didn't implement one... I mean, if you're so close to perfection, why stop?

sammy

Post by sammy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:43 am

Yeah, why... Probably because they felt it wasn't really worth the effort. If you see which games don't work because of this and compare it to the cost of the actual ic, you've got yourself a good reason :roll:
Anyway, if you don't want to break open a sports game you could just buy a counter ic.