The Office UK vs The Office US

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
The Office UK vs The Office US

Post by ValiantVenality » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:15 am

Ok, this is a big question I have. Which is better the UK version or the US version? I havent actually seen any of the UK episodes. I only saw one part of one (where the boss is dancing) I thought it was pretty funny. I heard that the UK version has better and "funnier" acting. So, which is better? Discuss!

VV

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:02 pm

Though I appreciate the fact that our British counterparts came up with the show, I must say that the US version is funnier and has better acting with more memorable characters. The UK version is rather short and feels unfinished, as well.

CTFan

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:39 pm

I've always enjoyed the British show. I was unaware of it's American counterpart though.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:34 am

This is a bit of a silly question really

Naturally Most Americans will think the US version is better, And Brits will think the UK version is better

That was the whole point of making the US version :lol:

As for it being short, thats because theres a vast difference between a US "season" and a UK "season" Over here Season usually only last for anything from 5 to 10 episodes really. While yours seem to be 20+ usually.

Personally i dont really like either (not a big fan of Ricky Gervais, i thought Extras was crap as well) but if i had to pick id say UK

Limewater

Post by Limewater » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am

Extreme_Jesus wrote: As for it being short, thats because theres a vast difference between a US "season" and a UK "season" Over here Season usually only last for anything from 5 to 10 episodes really. While yours seem to be 20+ usually.
I've been sort of wondering how that works.

I used to love "Are You Being Served" and figured that there would be hundreds of episodes since it ran for so many years. It turns out there are only 69. If it were a US show, it would probably have nearly that many episodes after three seasons.

How do they handle things over the pond, since the seasons are shorter? Do certain television programs only come on during certain months of the year? Do television stars often perform in several different programs throughout the year? Do you have a whole lot of new or different shows throughout the year so that you don't show re-runs ten times before showing new programs?

Or maybe people over there just aren't as television-obsessed as over here.

In the states, shows generally run year-round, with around 22 episodes so that each episode is shown about twice before the new season. Cartoons and stuff often only have 13 episodes a year, cycling four times before the new season.

I would be interested in any information our friends across the pond care to offer.

parkie

Post by parkie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:55 am

THE US ONE FOR SURE.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:55 am

I dont really know why they are shorter, But you get one episode shown per week until it runs out, more popular shows are usually repeated late night during the week.

I prefer shorter series (what we usually refer to seasons as) because we get more variety seeing as throughout the ear we get lots of different shows. Plus some things just drag on and become unfunny or stale if they run on for too long.

Plus Over here, we dont really care too much. For example In my house, we get 4 TV channels. Thats it.

And quite a lot of people are the same, although more people have Digital TV these days but i dont really want the extra channels for that price anyway.

Felino

Post by Felino » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:11 am

UK, american humor sucks.

'anal' ROFLCOPTER!

See what i mean?
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

Squalid
360 GamerTag:squalid9

Post by Squalid » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 am

Gotta be the UK version. I've seen the US version, and it didnt seem to be as funny (Must be my UK-style humor)

I sometimes hate the fact that our series'(seasons for you Americans) are so short.

Take The Young Ones for example, brilliant part of UK's comedy history but only had 12 episodes in total (2 x series')

Also take Fawlty Towers, only 12 episodes!

I just wish us Brit's would actually make a programme with more than 12 episodes!

Felino

Post by Felino » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:37 am

So did the it crowd, best f**king show EVER.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

Squalid
360 GamerTag:squalid9

Post by Squalid » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:40 am

Felino wrote:So did the it crowd, best f**king show EVER.
YES! Looking forward to the next series!